Costco VS Disney

Diana ZP

Mouseketeer
Hi I looked and didn't see a thread pertaining to this...I have been pricing out a December trip for 4 (niece and her 2 girls). I can save a bit if I go the separate way, Hotel, and then tickets elsewhere. But checking Costco and then Disney's site, the only difference I see is the Gift card you get with Costco. Which would you go with? I have booked with Disney in the past but that was when we stayed on property and I cannot swing that this time. Thanks for all and any input!

A big difference can be the cancellation terms. Costco is a package and you have the option to book Room only and then separate tickets via Disney.

Last edited:
I booked the Costco package for our December trip. 4 nights (off site) with 4 day park hoppers (4 Disney adults). I have no idea how the actual gift card amount is calculated, but my package includes a $145 gift card plus other coupons/perks. I would just go through the pricing steps, if I were you, and see if the gift card is a better value than your other options. Since Costco runs through the Disneyland site in a way that I've not experienced for anything else, it feels very much like making a direct Disneyland reservation. It was also very easy to make the park reservations - it's literally a hyperlink button at the top of your reservation email, impossible to miss.

I booked the Costco package for our December trip. 4 nights (off site) with 4 day park hoppers (4 Disney adults). I have no idea how the actual gift card amount is calculated, but my package includes a $145 gift card plus other coupons/perks. I would just go through the pricing steps, if I were you, and see if the gift card is a better value than your other options. Since Costco runs through the Disneyland site in a way that I've not experienced for anything else, it feels very much like making a direct Disneyland reservation. It was also very easy to make the park reservations - it's literally a hyperlink button at the top of your reservation email, impossible to miss.
It looked really easy and the gift card would be handy for food etc...

My only complaint booking through Costco so far is that I'm considering upgrading our tickets but would have to call in. Not a big deal, but it'd be nice if I could just see the price online.

Just to expand on my earlier answer (now that I have more time to type it out), if you purchase via Costco, you have to book a package (hotel and tickets; exceptions have been made if you have a MK or military tickets, in the past). A package must have a $200 deposit and be paid in full at 30 days prior to arrival. Refunds will be given for cancellations before 30 days; from 5-29 days, you lose the deposit if you cancel. Less than 5 days, you forfeit the entire amount.

If you book the room and tickets separately (either through Disney, through a third party ticket company like Undercover Tourist or with an off-site hotel directly), they may have more flexible and less flexible cancellation terms. Room-only reservations made through Disney require a 1 night deposit and can be fully cancelled up to 5 days prior to check in with a full refund. Off site hotels may differ. Tickets purchased via Disney are non-refundable but don’t lose their value if they are fully unused tickets (even if they expire).

One other thing to think about with Costco (or a package booked directly with Disney) is that all guests on the reservation have to have the same type of tickets. We recently stayed at the GCH, and due to health issues, part of us did 2 day tickets and part could only do 1 day tickets. We were able to do this because we booked room-only and our tickets were separate.

I love all things Costco, and I use them very often. I have not used them for Disney trips because I need more flexibility on the cancellation policy. However, if it works for you, the gift card is a major perk!!

Last edited:
It looked really easy and the gift card would be handy for food etc...
It definitely was easy, compared to piecing things together.

@twodogs we didn't have the same issue, needing different types of tickets. But I know exactly what you mean about the refund policy. That has scared me off of using Costco for WDW in the past, since that is not something we'd book with short notice and would require flights. This was relatively short notice for us, we can drive, and we know that our workplaces will be 95% shut down over the holidays (i.e. no risk of work related emergencies). I wasn't too worried this time.

I took twodogs and cmph advice and just made the reservations through Disney!! Oh my gosh I am so excited now. I called my niece and told her and we are going to surprise the girls Sunday. I have 2 different sets of mouse ears and that is what we will use to drop the news...they have to have somewhere fun to wear them now don't the??? Thanks for all of the help and everything!!!!

I took twodogs and cmph advice and just made the reservations through Disney!! Oh my gosh I am so excited now. I called my niece and told her and we are going to surprise the girls Sunday. I have 2 different sets of mouse ears and that is what we will use to drop the news...they have to have somewhere fun to wear them now don't the??? Thanks for all of the help and everything!!!!
Have an amazing time!!! I want to be your bonus grand niece for the next trip! 😂

I usually avoid package deals if you have any chance of changing your plans, wither the dates or upgrading tickets or hotel later on. It's usually a pain to do so when things are bought in a package. In particular when buying packages through Disney.

One of the benefits of a package, especially if you're traveling a long distance and/or it's a once in a lifetime trip, is that IF you have to cancel your refund includes your tickets. If you book separately and cancel you'll get your room refunded but you're 'stuck' with the tickets. Not a problem if you plan to return at some point, but if this is a 'once in a lifetime' trip, you're out of luck.

It's one of the reasons we book packages for WDW. We tow our trailer cross country and we're getting tothe age where each trip might be our last. If for some reason we have to cancel a trip and realize we aren't going to be able to go back, with a package we aren't out anything.

@twodogs

"A package must have a $200 deposit and be paid in full at 30 days."

Unless things have changed drastically, shouldn't this read 'paid in full 30 days before arrival'? Or does Costco have a different payment policy than WDTC? I usually book through WDTC, but I'm thinking of doing Costco for my next DL trip for the gift card and this would be a big change as before I've always paid packages off in monthly payments so the package is paid off 2 months before my arrival date.

One of the benefits of a package, especially if you're traveling a long distance and/or it's a once in a lifetime trip, is that IF you have to cancel your refund includes your tickets. If you book separately and cancel you'll get your room refunded but you're 'stuck' with the tickets. Not a problem if you plan to return at some point, but if this is a 'once in a lifetime' trip, you're out of luck.

It's one of the reasons we book packages for WDW. We tow our trailer cross country and we're getting tothe age where each trip might be our last. If for some reason we have to cancel a trip and realize we aren't going to be able to go back, with a package we aren't out anything.

@twodogs

"A package must have a $200 deposit and be paid in full at 30 days."

Unless things have changed drastically, shouldn't this read 'paid in full 30 days before arrival'? Or does Costco have a different payment policy than WDTC? I usually book through WDTC, but I'm thinking of doing Costco for my next DL trip for the gift card and this would be a big change as before I've always paid packages off in monthly payments so the package is paid off 2 months before my arrival date.
Yes, it's 30 days prior to guest arrival. The full language in my Costco package booking email for our Dec trip is:

Deposit and Payment Procedures​

• For reservations made 31 days or more prior to Guest arrival, a deposit of $200 per reservation will be due and must be received by Walt Disney Travel Co., Inc. ("WDTC”) within 3 days of booking the reservation or the reservation will automatically be cancelled. For reservations that include a travel protection plan, the total price of the plan is also due at the time the plan is requested. Payment in full is due to WDTC 30 days prior to Guest arrival. Travel ePackages and other travel documents will not be issued until final payment is received. WDTC reserves the right to cancel a reservation without notice when deposit or final payment is not received by the due date.
  • For reservations made 30 days or less prior to Guest arrival, payment in full is due to WDTC at the time the reservation is made or the reservation will not be confirmed.
  • WDTC accepts credit and debit cards, check, money order, or bank wire transfer as payment; please call (877) 849-2730 for payment details.

@StormyCA You are absolutely correct and I should have worded that more clearly in my post (I will go and edit it!). It is 30 days before arrival for sure!

I always try to book any travel through Costco, one for the gift cards and two for the 2% cash back. Just received an $800 check in cash back from Costco and this is mostly due to travel items. Between the gift cards and cash back, I can easily cover 3 months + of Costco shopping. (FYI, cruises are the best bang for your buck - you get roughly 9% back in a gift card.)

I didn't even know to look at Costco prices before booking through Disney for our last trip- oops!
But once we were there and picking up our free lanyards (that we didn't even care about but they were part of our package so of course we are picking then up!) The disney packages got blue lanyards, the Costco packages got yellow lanyards. Then I couldn't help but notice everyone's color coded lanyards for the rest of the trip. 🤷🏽‍♀️. Not sure why disney would make them different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter