Cotton\linen clothes for women???

puck

Earning My Ears
I usually only wear T-shirts and shorts. My son has decided he wants to start going to church so I need some casual nice clothes. Went to the mall (oh g-d how I hate the mall) Dillard’s, Saks, Nordstrom etc. The only cotton clothes I could find were Tommy Bahama, Eileen Fisher and some knock offs of same. I am not Bee Arthur I can’t wear asymmetrical tunics. Besides $150 for a simple pair of cotton pants? Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

I am 5’4”ish, smallish Pooh size and middle aged. I hate bright colors, patterns, and can NOT wear artificial fabrics. Everything I own is blue, green, beige or heather grey and I’d like to keep it that way. I’d rather not do mail order if I can find someplace close. I’m in Jacksonville Fl.

Any recommendations?

Also what is up with the vanity sizing? In most of the things I tried on I took a “medium”. Hahaha. I am not a medium. Does this actually encourage people to buy clothes? “Gee I know I’m actually fifty pounds over weight but I wear a medium so it must be ok.” WUT?

I usually only wear T-shirts and shorts. My son has decided he wants to start going to church so I need some casual nice clothes. Went to the mall (oh g-d how I hate the mall) Dillard’s, Saks, Nordstrom etc. The only cotton clothes I could find were Tommy Bahama, Eileen Fisher and some knock offs of same. I am not Bee Arthur I can’t wear asymmetrical tunics. Besides $150 for a simple pair of cotton pants? Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

I am 5’4”ish, smallish Pooh size and middle aged. I hate bright colors, patterns, and can NOT wear artificial fabrics. Everything I own is blue, green, beige or heather grey and I’d like to keep it that way. I’d rather not do mail order if I can find someplace close. I’m in Jacksonville Fl.

Any recommendations?

Also what is up with the vanity sizing? In most of the things I tried on I took a “medium”. Hahaha. I am not a medium. Does this actually encourage people to buy clothes? “Gee I know I’m actually fifty pounds over weight but I wear a medium so it must be ok.” WUT?
I know you mentioned not wanting to do mail order but if you can’t find anything you might take a look online at Fresh Produce. Their clothing is casual and usually all cotton. Church around here is pretty casual so you might find something that works on that site. Eileen Fisher is a good brand for natural fibers but it is pricey and I don’t think it holds up very well.

How fancy is your church, could you look for some "t-shirt dresses" -- they're often cotton and comfortable and might be within your comfort zone. They're still pretty casual but you can dress them up with jewelry and cute sandals. Old Navy has some for reasonable prices, and this one is available in heather grey. ;-) http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pcid=5151&vid=2&pid=806331002

Chicos is my go to store. Is the Beals clearance store still in Palm Coast? I used to get amazing deals there when dmil lived there.

LLBean and Lands End, though with LLBean you'll have to do mail/internet/phone order as they do not have a location in FL. BUt they have an exceptional return policy. And plenty of cotton. :-) If my entire wardrobe could be LLBean I would be happy.

SW

FLAX is a company that my sister's store (unfortunately in NH) carries. Not cheap, but not as pricy as you mentioned. Fresh Produce is another company that has decent, cotton/linen clothes. I think you should probably be able to find both labels in smaller, boutique-type shops. Good luck on the pricing... and I, too, hate to shop so I feel your pain!

Most churches are pretty relaxed in what they wear. Besides it is what is in the heart not what you wear. I usually wear capris, and a warmer shirt. They may have the air on so I get a little chilly.

Lands End and LL Bean have generous return policies and tons of clothes that should fit the bill. I wouldn't hesitate ordering several things to try on and return what doesn't fit or suit you.

I think a cotton dress with leggings can be easily dressed up or down and is comfy. I attend church whenever a friend invites me or is reading/speaking so I see a lot of different things. Some are much more formal in dress and I think cotton/linen dress and leggings would be ok at the more or less formal congregations.

Talbot's (they have petite sizes) and J.Jill (they have petite sizes, too) both carry good quality clothes and many cotton/linen fabrics.

Those are good for sure! I'd add br and Ann Taylor, but I definitely get lucky at target all the time. Ok, it's really that I go in for cat food and end up with 3 new dresses more often than I should admit.

Thanks for all the replies! I was really surprised and frustrated by the lack of natural fibers. I haven’t mall shopped in probably ten years so had no idea that the majority of clothes are now made from some form of synthetic. Blah. Thanks for the recommendation of Fresh Produce I hadn’t heard of them. I have ordered from JJill, LLBean, Lands End, Boden etc before I was just hoping to find something local. Guess not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter