Couch-to-5k/10k with a runDisney end-goal

vincent00

Earning My Ears
Anyone doing a Couch-to-5k (or C10K or C13.1) program with their end goal being a runDisney event?

Wife and I are looking at the 10k during 2017 WDW marathon weekend. Curious to know if we're the only out-of-shape, tied-to-a-desk-all-day-at-work folk who are using Disney as motivation to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

Anyone doing a Couch-to-5k (or C10K or C13.1) program with their end goal being a runDisney event?

Wife and I are looking at the 10k during 2017 WDW marathon weekend. Curious to know if we're the only out-of-shape, tied-to-a-desk-all-day-at-work folk who are using Disney as motivation to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
Definitely not the only ones :) I started running in 2014 with my goal being the Tower of Terror 10 miler. Of course, I fell in love with it and kept going! I like doing big races like Disney or Rock N Roll and also small local races with just a couple hundred people. It's added a lot of positive things to my life. I will say that instead of starting with a couch to 5k app, I started with a local running club that had a beginner running training group. It helped me to have other people to do it with. Of course, you've already got that covered if your wife is going to do it with you.

Definitely not the only ones :) I started running in 2014 with my goal being the Tower of Terror 10 miler. Of course, I fell in love with it and kept going! I like doing big races like Disney or Rock N Roll and also small local races with just a couple hundred people. It's added a lot of positive things to my life. I will say that instead of starting with a couch to 5k app, I started with a local running club that had a beginner running training group. It helped me to have other people to do it with. Of course, you've already got that covered if your wife is going to do it with you.

My wife and I both have hyper-competitive co-workers, so Fitbit work-week challenges are helping to keep us motivated. If nothing else, trying hard to keep up with the step counts means I can minimize the incessant teasing from my manager. :)

Also looking ahead to a couple local event. There's a 5k in early-June which coincides with the midway point of the couch-to-10k program I'm following. Then in mid-October there's a 10k which I'll hope to use as proof to myself that I can actually manage the WDW 10k without dying. :)

Honestly, the biggest hurdle I think is going to be climate shock. January in Nova Scotia = snow. January in Orlando = late-spring in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
I did exactly this in 2014. I signed up for the 10K Princess weekend 2015. I started with the C25K and the did the 5K210K.

Watch out though, it's addicting. Since my first 10K I've done 16 races, including 7 half marathons. Getting ready to go back to WDW in two weeks for the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge.

I have a fitbit too and love the little challenges :) The funny thing is even though I started running with Disney as an incentive, I love the smaller, local races as well. Have fun at your local races! They're also good because the local 10k will give you something to use as Proof of Time for Disney races and you can try to start in an earlier corral that way.

Me! Me! Actually, husband came on board as well (didn't think he'd want to do it.) We just started running a few weeks ago, sights set on next January's 10K Star Wars run. However, I may sign up for a local 10K in Sept to see how we do. I wanted to do the half next January, but husband wants to start with the 10K. Since we're running together, I'm good with the 10K. But I have my distant sights set on the half Disneyland marathon in 1018.

Since we're running together, I'm good with the 10K. But I have my distant sights set on the half Disneyland marathon in 1018.

Sounds familiar! My wife is taking a slower start, so she's technically couple few weeks behind my progress on the run/walk routine; even so (and bearing in mind that neither of us has run a mile yet, much less a race) she's already talking about taking on the Goofy Challenge in 2018?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter