Could a DAS help my adult daughter with the theme parks?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
I have a 24-year-old daughter that has had one major spinal fusion at the age of 14 and has had two disc replacement surgeries in the Grand Cayman in the past 18 months. She is no longer able to do Disney with us like she used to before she got really bad with her back. She has not been formally declare disabled but we haven't tried yet either. She/I am wanting for her to get to go back with us in the future but she seems to think that it might just be too much. She is open to getting a scooter and riding one in the parks even though she is concerned as to what others would think because you can't see her condition.

But what I am wanting to know is if someone could give me a simple explanation of the DAS and if it would help her/our party with the wait times at the parks. There is no way she can wait in lines of much more than 10-15 minutes so I don't even know if a DAS would work in her favor. If I had to give Disney her condition and of course I can get all the certified paper work it would be #1- Sharmin's Kyposis and DDDiease. Her 15-year-old sister also has a diagnosis of DDDiease.

Please do not worry about what others think about her being in a scooter. A scooter will definitely make the trip easier on everyone. Most ride lines will accommodate a scooter (both fast pass and standby). For some rides, she may have to transfer to a wheelchair to ride a ride. (They are available near the ride).

a DAS is not issued for mobility issues. She will be able to ride a scooter or wheelchair through the lines.

And forget the paperwork - It’s not needed nor considered for DAS eligibility.
But like Bjkandma said - DAS is not for mobility issues - that’s what the ECVs are for. And I would Not recommend renting one of the Disney ones - they’re behemoths...rent a GoGo 3 wheel or something similar from an outside vendor.

your DD has a mobility problem the DAS will do nothing to help with this I would get an ECV as they can be taken in lines and the few that they can not go into there are wheelchair that she can use. As far as what people might think of her using something because she does not look too disabled no one will really notice because they are too into there own vacation to really care what she is doing unless she is doing something very out there like laying on the horn after the fireworks ( and yes I saw this one time)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter