• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Could I pull this off?

ChisJo

Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come t
I was wondering if I could do the following trip without renting a car, and was hoping to get some responses from all of you experts.

Leaving Aug. 21, going into San Diego. I was thinking about spending 4 days here. Where I am staying has transportation to and from most major areas and if they don't, there is public transportation close by. They also have an airport shuttle.

On Aug. 25, I would hop onto an Amtrak and go to LA for 7 days. I would go to DL, Universal, etc. and am staying in the city. The hostel that I am staying at is 2 blocks from the Amtrack station and has transportation to and from all the parks, and also has tours within the city. If they don't have it, they will direct me in the right direction.

on Sept. 2, planning on heading over to San Francisco for 3 days. I will be taking the Amtrak there as well. Hoping to also stay at a place that also has tours and public transportation nearby.

Now, I have never been to any of these cities and don't know what the transportation is like, or what the streets are like. I really don't want to drive in the cities by myself (solo traveller) and just want to know if this is plausable.

Thanks,
Jo

ChisJo said:
I was wondering if I could do the following trip without renting a car, and was hoping to get some responses from all of you experts.

Leaving Aug. 21, going into San Diego. I was thinking about spending 4 days here. Where I am staying has transportation to and from most major areas and if they don't, there is public transportation close by. They also have an airport shuttle.

On Aug. 25, I would hop onto an Amtrak and go to LA for 7 days. I would go to DL, Universal, etc. and am staying in the city. The hostel that I am staying at is 2 blocks from the Amtrack station and has transportation to and from all the parks, and also has tours within the city. If they don't have it, they will direct me in the right direction.

on Sept. 2, planning on heading over to San Francisco for 3 days. I will be taking the Amtrak there as well. Hoping to also stay at a place that also has tours and public transportation nearby.

Now, I have never been to any of these cities and don't know what the transportation is like, or what the streets are like. I really don't want to drive in the cities by myself (solo traveller) and just want to know if this is plausable.

Thanks,
Jo

I suppose you could do that BUT

I wouldn't- We are renting a midsize auto at National for 9 days
& I'm paying $136.66 taxes & fees included.

I really think having a car for what you want to see will be a plus.

It is theoretically plausible. I would just be really really careful in LA when using public transportation. There are areas that you just don't want to be in LA and where a single person traveling alone could be trouble. Also, if you're walking, I would try to make sure you are not arriving at Union Station after dark. The problem with LA is that you can go from a good to bad neighborhood in the blink of an eye, and you need someone to advise you about all that.

San Francisco is much much easier to negotiate using public transportation. LA's bus system is very good, but by and large the city is not designed for visitors without cars. Just be safe.

As for being worried about driving, LA is pretty easy I think. Again it's somewhat easy to get lost, but there's not a lot of hard city driving. It's mostly just a lot of traffic on the free ways, but it's not tough driving like Manhattan or Boston or even San Diego can be in places. It's just a lot of putting on your brakes and waiting. San Francisco is a whole other ballgame. I've driven by myself in lots and lots of places, from downtown New York to Boston to Philadelphia, and I still get scared witless when driving (and parking) in San Francisco.

Regarding Amtrak, spend the extra money and get a 2 person sleeper for your trek between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The sleeper entitles you to movies, the parlor car and all meals and drinks in the dining car. It is well worth the extra cost - I think we actually saved money on food. We travelled from San Francisco to San Diego on Amtrak during Thanksgiving weekend last fall. The train was packed and I am so glad we had the extra space and amenities. FYI, the train takes you into Oakland. From there you board a bus to San Francisco.

We have also travelled on Amtrak between San Diego and Los Angeles. If you need any help, please let me know.

I can't imagine doing what you are planning, but that may be because I like having mobility. We are going to DL in April and not renting a car, but the last two years we were in San Diego and I loved having a car. The things we wanted to do were not close together and having a car gave us a lot of flexibility. san Diego is easy to get around on and so is San Fran, I'm not too sure about LA. I quess it all depends on your temperment for mass transit, (which I don't have.) Have a great trip any way you decide to do it.

I'd call it difficult but not impossible. I would sit down and add up all your projected daily transportation costs and look at that vs. renting a car for atleast a few days. You might be suprised. Especially in Los Angeles, not having a car might be the death of you.

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter