Could somebody explain how the charity bibs work?

juju

DIS Veteran
I checked on one company and noticed that there is a donation level and a registration fee. However, it seems that you can obtain the bib with just the fee? I’m not at all confident that two of us can raise the donation amount, much less just me. So, would this still be an option?

I checked on one company and noticed that there is a donation level and a registration fee. However, it seems that you can obtain the bib with just the fee? I’m not at all confident that two of us can raise the donation amount, much less just me. So, would this still be an option?

Maybe depends on the charity?

I just ran the fairytale challenge with Dragon Master Foundation. I had to raise the whole 1000$ before the charity issued my registration link to sign up.

I ran Goofy for a charity in 2020. The way this one worked was that you had to raise a minimum amount before they would send you the link to register. In my case, it was $200 of the total $750 commitment. I was then responsible for the remainder of the amount ($550) within a certain amount of time after the event (I don't remember how long, maybe 30 days).

It seems as though each charity has its own way to handle, but the commitment to raise the funds is a constant. I wouldn't sign up for one unless you are okay with that.

There have been rare instances very close to race weekend where a charity might have bibs they need to get rid of and they may reduce/waive the fundraising---but that is nothing to count on. After all, they are trying to raise money for a cause.

Agree with all above. I've done the races several times for different charities. Some have required a credit card when you sign-up along with an agreement that they will charge you for any shortfall in your funraising if you do not make it by the deadline. Others just waited to send the registration link.

I believe the difference between the charity registration fee and the fundraising amount you see them charge has two purposes. First, it helps ensure some level of committment so they aren't reserving bibs for people who decide not to raise the funds (i.e. people think twice when they know they will lose the registration fee if they sign up but then decide not to do it). Secon, and less important, a non-profit cannot give you a tax deduction for anything of value you get for your donation. By breaking out a fee from the fundraising it helps them say that what ever is donated is fully tax dedeuctible.

The other thing you will see sometimes is that they will let you be part of their "team" for a much smaller commitment, but that doesn't include race registration. So you sign up on your own and then partner with them to raise funds with only a small commitment (I think it was $100 for Give Kids the World this year).

There have been rare instances very close to race weekend where a charity might have bibs they need to get rid of and they may reduce/waive the fundraising---but that is nothing to count on. After all, they are trying to raise money for a cause.

Yep.

And if it happens it’s late in the game. I got in on it once, for Princess 5k. Feb 6, 2019 I saw something about one of the charities waiving fundraising. I was registered on the 8th. The run was on the 22nd? And we had to donate time; in our case we handed out glow sticks to get attention for the booth that morning before the run.

I haven’t seen it before or after, though of course there have only been two Princesses since then.

I did a charity signup for a race at DL in 2017 and I had to give them credit card info right off the bat (IIRC they charged me the initial bib fee to start?), was responsible for any shortfall if I didn’t raise enough by the deadline. However they handle it, they’re going to get their charity commitment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter