Could someone explain how the "child" dining plan works?

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
We have a party of 5, 2 adults, 2 over 10 and 1 under 10. Does the dining plan FORCE the under 10yo to buy off the children's menu? We were thinking of having her share the 8 piece chicken nugget adult meal with one of the over 10yo kids. But then does an adult or an over 10yo have to eat something off the kids menu to even things out? Or is everything just in a pool and there is no differentiation btwn child and adult?

Depends on the plan and the restaurant. Which plan do you have? Is the "8 piece chicken nugget adult meal" at a table service or a counter service restaurant?

The dining plan terms state that a child must order from the kids menu when there is one available, but sharing (and redeeming fewer credits) is usually allowed. But, again, it depends on which plan and type of restaurant.

We have a party of 5, 2 adults, 2 over 10 and 1 under 10. Does the dining plan FORCE the under 10yo to buy off the children's menu? We were thinking of having her share the 8 piece chicken nugget adult meal with one of the over 10yo kids. But then does an adult or an over 10yo have to eat something off the kids menu to even things out? Or is everything just in a pool and there is no differentiation btwn child and adult?
Please tell us which plan you have - QS only or QS & TS -so they we may offer more specific information and which restaurant your planning for your meal.

Last edited:

Counter service: If you are using CS credits they are pooled and there is no differentiation between adult credits and child credits. Your receipt will just indicate the total number of CS credits you have left.

Table Service: On the regular dining plan (1 TS, 1 CS, 2 snack credits per person per night) the adult credits and child credits are listed separately. An adult doesn't have to use a child's credit to even things out, but if the under 10 frequently shares with someone in the group and doesn't use his/her credits, you will have unused child TS left that can only be used to order from the kids' menu at a TS restaurant.

Deluxe Dining Plan: 3 dining credits per night per person, but adult and child credits are pooled so many have been able to use child credits for adult meals at TS restaurants. However, it does say on the Deluxe Dining Plan brochure that children must order from the children's menu when available so some TS restaurant will require the child to order from the kids' menu if you are using a credit for the under 10 year old.

At CS and most TS restaurants where you order from a menu you can use credits for everyone in your group, use fewer credits and share meals between two or more people or use a combination of credits and out of pocket if some are not ordering a full meal. Via Napoli is a frequently mentioned exception in that it will not allow you to use one credit to feed two or more people so at this restaurant your under 10 yo could not share with another.

At any restaurant where you pay according to age such as a buffet (e.g. Crystal Palace, Tusker House), family style all you care to eat meal (e.g. Garden Grill, 'Ohana), dinner show (Hoop De Doo, Spirit of Aloha Luau, Mickey's Backyard Barbecue), fixed price venue (CRT, Akershus), Dining Package (e.g. Fantasmic, ROL), dessert party (e.g. Star Wars) everyone aged 3 and up will be charged.

It is the plan with both CS and TS. We have 5 character buffets for the TS. The sharing would be at a CS restaurant, specifically Goods To Go (we are staying at OKW) and Pinocchios Village Haus.

If the CS credits are pooled can I pay oop for the child and buy a cheaper kids meal (when not sharing) and save her CS credit for an adult to use?

If the CS credits are pooled can I pay oop for the child and buy a cheaper kids meal (when not sharing) and save her CS credit for an adult to use?

Yes, you can...but be aware that it is a bit of a loophole which could be discontinued at any time.

Can I hijack this thread please.
Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere, couldn't find the answers myself.
Bit confused with the DDP.
We have the table service plan, two adults and a four year old.
For ADR, when I book 180 days in advance will I need to register a CC or will it link to my DDP.
Also, is it one credit regardless of what is ordered as an entree, for example I've seen on some menus an entree for say $20 ranging to something else at say $50.
And lastly (for now) ;-) I've looked at Hollywood and Vine for an eventing meal, vip seating is included for Fantasmic. Surely I've read it wrong?

Last edited:
Can I hijack this thread please.
Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere, couldn't find the answers myself.
Bit confused with the DDP.
We have the table service plan, two adults and a four year old.
For ADR, when I book 180 days in advance will I need to register a CC or will it link to my DDP.
Also, is it one credit regardless of what is ordered as an entree, for example I've seen on some menus an entree for say $20 ranging to something else at say $50.
And lastly (for now) ;-) I've looked at Hollywood and Vine for an eventing meal, vip seating is included for Fantasmic. Surely I've read it wrong?

You will have to register a CC but it will only be charged if you don't show or cancel your reservation within 24 hours of the reservation.

Nearly all entrees are included. Very occasionally you will see an entree that has an additional surcharge. Add-on items are not included and entrees that serve 2 people will require 2 credits.

Meals with event seating is included in DDP. It is actually a great use of TS credits. We book Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic Package every time we go.

Thanks for the replies,
180 day window opens up at the weekend, how do I register the credit card before then.

Hijacking for a quick question. I'm sorry as I'm still so confused as to how this works. 3 adults and 2 children staying for 9 days. We have the counter Service plan for all of us. From what I'm understanding the credits are pooled. There are no "child meal" credits. I am drawing the conclusion I could order an adult item for the child. I am not limited to the child's menu at counter service locations. so we have 90 meals for the entirety of the trip. We could essentially have 90 adult meals and never order one thing off the child's menu?

Again, sorry if this has already been explained and thank you for any clarification and help!

Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan
For each night of your Quick-Service Dining Plan package, each Guest in your party (ages 3 and up) receives:

2 Quick-Service Meals
Each quick-service meal includes:
1 entrée or 1 complete combo meal
1 single-serving, non-alcoholic beverage

Children ages 3-9 must order from the Children's Menu (if one is available).

This is from the Disney web site.

OK, so ordering the adult Chicken tender meal (when applicable) would not be an option then? I only ask because there are some nights my 4 year old will eat 10 Chicken nuggets to himself and leave everything else. He has sensory issues and food textures are one of them. Just wanted to make sure I had a good grasp of what to order for him. If I have to I'll get 2 child meals for him and just pay for the second one out of pocket. Thank you for the response!

OK, so ordering the adult Chicken tender meal (when applicable) would not be an option then? I only ask because there are some nights my 4 year old will eat 10 Chicken nuggets to himself and leave everything else. He has sensory issues and food textures are one of them. Just wanted to make sure I had a good grasp of what to order for him. If I have to I'll get 2 child meals for him and just pay for the second one out of pocket. Thank you for the response!

They will sometimes allow it. What I posted above is what the rules are. You can always ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter