• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Counter (Quick) Service for young men/big eaters. (In DL)

Hound 109

<font color=teal>So non-screamin' family members c
Carnivores. Two 19 year olds. They aren't looking for dainty or sit down.

They want meat, & they want food that they can get & go. :)

- The Corn Dog Cart is still at the end of Main St on right. (Correct?)
- Is the place across from IASW (behind storybookland) still serving Knackwursts?
- Any other Counter Service of note serving good "get n go" meat. (not sit down & order)
- Did I read that there's a place next to Pirates that sells Gumbo in a Bread Bowl?
- Is Pooh Corner Baker still open? Any other place that sells Ginormous Cookies that one can buy & go with?

Thanks !!

Just posted this in your other thread:

Best corn dogs in DL: we prefer Little Red Wagon on Main Street (corn dogs come with chips, but you can order them without). If the guys want fries instead, go to Stage Door Cafe. We think the corn dogs there are a little greasier, but they do come with fries. Other hot dogs with various toppings at Refreshment Corner (aka Coke Corner). I think Bratwurst are found at Troubadour Tavern by the FL Theater. Pooh Corner is still open -- Tigger Tails! There are various new treats available for Pixar Fest, so have the guys keep their eyes open for these. Also, DLR is rolling out mobile ordering for various food venues. There is a thread on this forum with info and dates for each venue. If the guys don't need to custom order anything, they might like using mobile ordering. Bengal BBQ is supposed to start the mobile service on the 17th, so that might be fun for them to try.

Get'n'Go Meat: how do they feel about turkey legs? That's a lot of meat and it can be on the go! Get these at various outdoor vending carts around the park.
Yes, gumbo in a bread bowl at Royal Street Veranda by POTC. Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street has Matterhorn Macaroons that aren't ginormous, but they are nice and filling!

Last edited:
There is a new place at DL that has become one of our "go to" spots. Jolly Holiday Bakery - just to the left of Tiki Room within the hub. Good sandwich options there.

Ooops, just noticed @theluckyrabbit mentioned JHB!

Plaza Inn is a buffeteria and food is surprisingly good.

We never miss Pooh's Corner LOL. And our waistlines after each trip prove it.

There are always foot long hot dogs at Coke Corner. Redd Rockett's Pizza Port has lots of decent pizza and pasta options.

:wizard:

Do they like Mexican food? If so, Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland has pretty good food and large portions. Agree with HG about Plaza Inn -- tell them to get the fried chicken (classic at DL). For a reasonable fee, they can add on more pieces of chicken, either white or dark meat. Some people really like the pot roast, too. Tell them to eat at off peak hours for CS -- it will save them lots of time. But they shouldn't worry if there is a line outside Plaza Inn -- CMs have guests go inside in groups, so the line moves pretty quickly. Have you looked at the DL menus on allears.net? The menus should be fairly recent (including prices, so you can get a ballpark budget for the guys, too).

- Is the place across from IASW (behind storybookland) still serving Knackwursts?
I think you might be referring to Troubadour Tavern. I looked at the menu and saw bratwurst, but not knackwurst. Things on the menu do change, so you might check again just before you go.

- Any other Counter Service of note serving good "get n go" meat. (not sit down & order)
As others have said the Plaza Inn has a really good chicken dinner (three pieces), but it's not "get n go" like corn dogs are (it's served on a plate and easiest if eaten at a table). You can get it "to go", but it's kind of unwieldy and they don't always have plastic utensils available. The half chicken meal at French Market is also good and large, but not really "get n go" style food. As theluckyrabbit mentioned, turkey legs are easy(ish) to on the go. The basic hot dog is also easy to eat on the go, but it's not that large, and the ones with toppings (like the chili) are just to too messy to eat on the go.

- Did I read that there's a place next to Pirates that sells Gumbo in a Bread Bowl?
Yes, the Royal Street Veranda sells gumbo in a bread bowl, along with other offerings. Just note that the portions aren't that big; the bowl looks big, but the actual soup portion is pretty small.

- Is Pooh Corner Baker still open? Any other place that sells Ginormous Cookies that one can buy & go with?
Yes, Pooh's Corner is still there (I don't know if they sell cookies). I have seen large cookies at the Starbucks locations in the parks (Main Street and BVS). I think Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe also has large cookies.

Harbour Galley near Splash Mountain has Lobster Rolls.

Golden Horseshoe has a few interesting options featuring chili - a Pepper Jack Chili Mac and Loaded Potato Skins with Chili, and they have chicken wings on the menu now, all of that looks pretty new.

Next door at Stagedoor Cafe, I see a new menu item - Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich! Sounds interesting... possibly great or gross, I'd love to see a picture!

If you haven't downloaded the Disneyland App, you definitely should. It is so handy for watching FP availability and return times, ride wait times, show times, bathroom locations and MY personal favorite part, the menu listings for each restaurant. You can also make a dining reservation on the app. I like knowing what the menu is at every place we are near so I can present all the options to my group and find something everyone loves, even if we have to split up to divide and conquer.

Have fun planning!

Flo’s in Carsland has some pretty decent carnivore options! Fast and easy as well.

While I wouldn't recommend the Pizza at Pizza Planet, the Countdown Chicken Fusilli is very good and very filling. We have shared our plates, whereas most other restaurants the older kids are left wanting more. Rancho Del Zolcalo also has pretty good food that is filling.

My 15 year old has a big appetite and his favorite places to eat in DL are Royal St Veranda for clam chowder bread bowls, Rancho del Zocalo for a burrito (and everything everyone else doesn't eat), Stage Door Cafe for corn dogs with fries, Red Rocket's Pizza Port for chicken fusilli and a chicken Caesar salad. This trip, he is wanting to try a beast burger from Red Rose Tavern and the French dip sandwich from French Market.

For actual "on the go meat", the main thing I can think of would be turkey legs. However, we got one once, years ago, and ended up tossing is as it was super greasy and sinew-y. I think we probably just got a bad one, though, because I couldn't imagine them still being popular if they were all like that.

Even though Bengal BBQ is good, we don't go there because of the cost, he would probably want 2 or 3 of each skewer.

The chimichangas ( sold at the carts with the turkey legs) are pretty big, filling and cheap.
The meals at Rancho Z are usually more than any of us can finish.
The burgers at smokejumpers are a decent size and they have a topping bar.

The chimichangas ( sold at the carts with the turkey legs) are pretty big, filling and cheap.
The meals at Rancho Z are usually more than any of us can finish.
The burgers at smokejumpers are a decent size and they have a topping bar.
For completeness, Smokejumpers is at DCA.

Wow....lots of great information from ALL in this thread !!

- Lucky Rabbit & Trey (HG), thanks for the extra info and the detailed info. Good to know that Pooh Corner is still operating (& mmmm....I forgot about TiggerTails :) ). Also good to hear that there are a couple of solid Buffeteria options. (Pot Roast sounds good) & that Stage Door has Corny Dogs. Re: Turkey Legs (lots of meat, but probably too sinewy & unwieldy).

- Too all, Yes...I forgot to mention Rancho del Zocollo, but it's a great spot for beef tacos, nachos (being next to BTMRR) & is on the list for a good sit down quick meal. (I had a great Tres Leches cake there once :)). Also good to know about the Brat vs Knack confusion & got that straightened out.

- ADL, thanks for the info on the Horseshoe. Pepper Jack/Chili Mac sounds interesting. For Chicken Fried Steak (sandwich), I'll stick with one of the local CFSs (with pepper cream gravy) - the steak is the size of a standard frisbee & hangs over the plate :).

- Boku & Mama2FourBoys - Great info. That Fusili (Pasta & Chicken) looks like a workable (& smart) option even for walking & sharing - & has pasta and protien - thanks for that. & those Bread Bowls (even if the Gumbo portion is skimpy) might work since they're basically 2fers. & thanks for the head's up on Bengal. (I could see them spending a fortune there)

They are now armed with enough info to Munch, Divide and Conquer !! Thanks All !

:)

Main Street: Refreshment Corner for hot dogs, chili dogs, and bread bowls or chili
Adventureland: Bengal Barbecue for skewers
Frontierland: Stage Door Cafe for corn dogs, chicken tenders, french fries, and funnel cakes
New Orleans Square: Royal Street Veranda for bread bowls of clam chowder and gumbo
Critter Country: Hungry Bear Restaurant for a variety of burgers and sandwiches
Fantasyland: Edelweiss Snacks for turkey legs and corn on the cob
Toontown: Daisy’s Diner for pizza
Tomorrowland: Red Rockett’s Pizza Port for pizza and pasta

Inside the Grand Californian Hotel, is White Water Snacks. They have very good steak and/or chicken nachos, as well as pizza, burgers, chicken nuggets, etc. They also have prepackaged foods, like salads, sandwiches, etc. I would suggest checking out the menu. You can get the food to go, but, it is a great place to sit and enjoy your meal in peace and quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter