Counter service doing mobile order only (sometimes)

Piglet99645

DIS Veteran
If you aren’t mobile order savvy it would be hard to get food in DCA today. Both Cozy Cone and Smokejumpers only did mobile orders ... no walk ups.

smokejumpers did walk ups in the evening earlier this week, and the walk-up line got you food way faster than the mobile order line.
YMMV

You have been warned.

But wait. There’s more!!!

smokejumpers assigns you to one of 4 mobile order lines. I was in line 2 after “your order is ready” popped up. I was next in line and watched as line #1 powered through 10 orders. When the couple ahead of me finally left with multiple trays of food I asked the CM what the holdup was. He said they added a bunch of stuff to their order when they got to the counter.

you can do that??

Disney is off their game here. They should have routed the line behind them elsewhere.

My Monty cristo made it all better!

But wait. There’s more!!!

smokejumpers assigns you to one of 4 mobile order lines. I was in line 2 after “your order is ready” popped up. I was next in line and watched as line #1 powered through 10 orders. When the couple ahead of me finally left with multiple trays of food I asked the CM what the holdup was. He said they added a bunch of stuff to their order when they got to the counter.

you can do that??

Disney is off their game here. They should have routed the line behind them elsewhere.

My Monty cristo made it all better!

I wish Disney would work on making more lines like the one in Gibson Girl (at least pre-covid), where there is a single line and you get called to the next available cashier. It is so much more efficient and "fair" to the guests. Outside of the food venues, I really wish they would do that with security, in particular, since you can get stuck behind some really slow folks. Universal Orlando does it for security, in a really nice Security building that puts Disney to shame, and it is a great system

I wish Disney would work on making more lines like the one in Gibson Girl (at least pre-covid), where there is a single line and you get called to the next available cashier. It is so much more efficient and "fair" to the guests. Outside of the food venues, I really wish they would do that with security, in particular, since you can get stuck behind some really slow folks. Universal Orlando does it for security, in a really nice Security building that puts Disney to shame, and it is a great system

I wish there was a No Stroller line at Security. (Yes I know there is a no bags line). Honestly people pack for the apocalypse in those things.

some guards search every nook and cranny. Others just waive them through. It’s a crap shoot.

We encountered mobile order only at several places we tried during our visit June 20-24, including Mint Julep Bar (both times we went), Red Rose Tavern, Alien Pizza Planet (only sometimes), Smokejumpers, and Pyms. The only place we order at register was Tropical Hideaway.

None of these places would allow us to add to our orders either, even for a beverage. At Smokejumpers the next window was more than an hour out, but they let my husband do the mobile order and then made the food right away.

The only place we had to wait for any length to get a mobile order window and to pick up the food was Red Rose Tavern. We were trying to order early but then got stuck on HM for 20+ minutes when ride broke down and no cell service. So we ended up having to order in the noon hour and once we could go inside there were more lines to stand in.

If I had a dollar for every person I helped with mobile order this week, well, at Disney prices I could probably buy a churro :p We'd put our snack and lunch orders in while waiting around at rope drop, and we had a lot of people around us surprised that we could do that, or that a lot of places were only doing mobile order. What restaurants were mobile order only or accepting walk-ups changed day-to-day over our trip (June 21-25th) with no discernible notice. We overheard a lot of unhappy interactions with cast members outside restaurants at lunchtime.

If I had a dollar for every person I helped with mobile order this week, well, at Disney prices I could probably buy a churro :p We'd put our snack and lunch orders in while waiting around at rope drop, and we had a lot of people around us surprised that we could do that, or that a lot of places were only doing mobile order. What restaurants were mobile order only or accepting walk-ups changed day-to-day over our trip (June 21-25th) with no discernible notice. We overheard a lot of unhappy interactions with cast members outside restaurants at lunchtime.
Yeah the over 60 crowd was especially having trouble. I felt bad. I love mobile order but it shouldn’t be the only option.

Could I ask what happens if you are in line for a ride when your order time happens?
Thanks!

At a basic level, nothing. If you never click “I’m here” and your window passes then your order just never happens and you won’t be charged. So if you don’t want that mobile order at all just ignore it (or cancel). If you still want the order but at a different time there is an option to change the order window in the app, though this of course would be subject to availability as far as when you might be able to reschedule it to.

It might be smart, but if everyone does it then those who really want to get food won’t be able to find a slot. So at least consider that. Maybe don’t plan it unless you’re pretty sure.

We go Monday of next week. Is it still needed to order lunch at RD? I have been checking MO windows for a few weeks, and it does seem to be better availability in the last week than it was right when they reopened.

We were able to mobile order most places either immediately or with no more than an hour wait. This included Mint Julep stand, Blue Milk Stand, Alien Pizza Planet, Ronto Roasters, Smoke Jumpers, Pym's (although wasn't always available). Red Rose Tavern was the only place I had to order later than I wanted (wanted 11:30 but got pushed to 12:30).

So you don't really need to everything at the start of the day. Just try to beat the rush.

I'm coming in September, and I'm worried about having to plan out quick service meals in advance due to mobile order. Do I really need to plan everything out that carefully? Or can I just browse what's available when I'm ready for lunch or a snack?

I'm coming in September, and I'm worried about having to plan out quick service meals in advance due to mobile order. Do I really need to plan everything out that carefully? Or can I just browse what's available when I'm ready for lunch or a snack?
Who knows what September will be like but currently browsing when you’re ready gives you some choices, except at breakfast. Sounds like there will be some breakfast July 1.

I would plan an hour or two ahead, especially at peak lunch and dinner time. If the times are current you can wait and order later, if they’re starting to creep forward then you can order more ahead of time. Especially if you really want something specific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter