Counter service in DHS

stacy76

Mouseketeer
We leave for Disney in a week an I am still struggling to find a good counter service place for dinner in DHS. I know everyone has their own opinions, but I have not found one place that had good reviews. There will be 3 adults and 5 kids, so it is important that there is also an okay kids menu too. Can anyone suggest a counter service that they liked? I have read lots of negative reviews, I really just need to find some positive ones.

Backlot express is the only "decent" counter service. Pizza Planet might also be the other. They are decent, not great. Honestly the little boat that serves pretzel dogs is probably my fave. But you have kids with you and not everyone wants dogs. DHS is not known for its counter service food. Others may have different opinions.

Backlot was good, it had sandwiches that were like panini's and decent kids meals. We also tried the pizza at Pizza planet, and found that to be good too. Both served their purpose, we left full.

Since you are trying to please different tastes, I think your best bet is to go to the group of CS locations on Sunset (on your left as you go towards ToT). There are several different stands but they share a single seating area. Check all the menus and then your group can split up, order and pay at the individual stands, and come together to eat.

I don't know what kind of food your looking for but I really enjoy eating at Starring Rolls. They sell really nice sandwiches, pastries and cakes.

Was there 3 weeks ago and had a great meal at Pizza Planet. We went to Fairfax Fare and I was not thrilled, should have gone back to Pizza Planet.

I don't know what kind of food your looking for but I really enjoy eating at Starring Rolls. They sell really nice sandwiches, pastries and cakes.

The OP wants dinner. Starring Rolls sells fresh sandwiches at lunchtime (and I love them) but once they run out they don't make any more. I understand they are nearly always sold out by 1:30 and the entire location closes by about 4 pm.

Pizza Planet. Just be prepared for it to be noisy since it's also an arcade. Amazingly enough, I decided to have the salad there and it was really good. Kids of course had the pizza. No problems with anything.

I've always liked Starring Rolls. Sometimes I will deal with the bad food at ABC Commissary just for the air conditioning though. I also enjoy just having a Cobb salad from Brown Derby for lunch. Salad is $15 do not a horrible price for a meal.

I like Fairfax Fare. The BBQ plates and the Fairfax salad, in particular.

My kids LOVE Pizza Planet, even though they are teenagers, they still LOVE it. I'm like you I am not crazy about the quick-service in DHS but the Backlot Express is just ok, we usually skip quick-service for that day and save it for another day for breakfast somewhere else. We try to eat dinner early at Mama Melrose's and just totally skip lunch.

Since you are trying to please different tastes, I think your best bet is to go to the group of CS locations on Sunset (on your left as you go towards ToT). There are several different stands but they share a single seating area. Check all the menus and then your group can split up, order and pay at the individual stands, and come together to eat.

Thank you, great idea. I think this might be our best option. I also like that the CS there are close to Fantasmic so that we can get dinner right before we get in line for the show.

Thank you everyone for your help. My DS can not have pizza so it looks like it will be Fairfax and the rest of the CS in that same area. My kids love the charater lunch at Hollywood and Vine so that means we have no choice but using the CS for dinner.

We like Backlot Express the best out of all CS places in HS. Fairfax area is ok. They have a variety of choices so that is good. We like the air conditioned seating at Backlot, though. Faifax seating is all outdoors.

Just wanted to add my vote for Starring Rolls sandwhiches, love them. And they also have good coffee/snacks.

btw- we'll be leaving for Disney on Saturday too:cool1:;)

While many do like Starring Rolls, they only have a couple choices of sandwiches. Certainly not enough options for the size of your party.
I agree with the CS stalls on Sunset; something for everyone.

lovemy3girls said:
We like Backlot Express the best out of all CS places in HS. Fairfax area is ok. They have a variety of choices so that is good. We like the air conditioned seating at Backlot, though. Faifax seating is all outdoors.

I really have thought about the Backlot Express and might still explore that option. The one reason we have not decided on it is because they do not have the peanut butter and jelly on their menu for kids. I have thought that we could always get that for my daughter from another CS and take it there. Last year the adults had the turkey legs because we had heard they were great. We really didn't like them, I am not sure if it was just the ones we got.

AbbyPan said:
Just wanted to add my vote for Starring Rolls sandwhiches, love them. And they also have good coffee/snacks.

btw- we'll be leaving for Disney on Saturday too:cool1:;)

I actually really wanted Starring Role, but I am afraid because we are looking for dinner they might not have much left and also heard they close at 4.

I am so ready for it to be Saturday. Have fun on your trip.

I actually really wanted Starring Role, but I am afraid because we are looking for dinner they might not have much left and also heard they close at 4.

I am so ready for it to be Saturday. Have fun on your trip.

Gotcha, well then I change my vote to Fairfax Fare! The pb&J and mac and cheese are a hit with the kids.

Enjoy your time as well!

We usually eat at Backlot Express. They have burgers for my husband and older son, chicken nuggets for my younger son and I like the turkey panini with the roasted red peppers. Another plus is that they have the self-service drink stations so you can refill your drinks. If you need a pb&j, I'd pick it up elsewhere and take it to Backlot Express.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter