• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couponing to Disney?

DeeJ79

Earning My Ears
Has anyone used this site before? I've been following it for awhile now and as a former couponer, I love this idea.

Who coupons? :)
How do you accuont for the savings towards your trip?

I've actually been thinking about this recently. I'm sort of planning to pay for a whole Disney trip with only gift cards I earn/get for free and money I save by using coupons. My husband is majorly on board with the idea, and I know he'll actively participate. We closely budget our grocery money, so I plan on just taking the value of the coupons out of our grocery fund and putting it in our vacation fund instead.

I follow that blog although I would not consider myself a "couponer" (other than Ibotta). She posts lots of great bargains that are not actually coupons.

I don't really coupon since stores do not double them anymore. For me, if I used a coupon it would be just because I have the coupon. I find I save more by not using them and buying only what I need and what is the best deal. Coupons plus sales on cleaning supplies and health and beauty can still sometimes be worth it, but not always. Most coupons I see anymore are for a small amount off or buy 2 or 3 of something. No thanks. It will be a lot less time consuming to say for instance, my grocery budget for the week is 200, so I'm only taking 175 to the store. That 25 that is left goes to the disney fund. That's 100 buck a month with no extra effort or planning involved. As far as the apps go, are you buying something just to get the 35 cents later? Is it not easier to just not spend it at all? I don't use them so I may be wrong.

Years ago, I would look at the "total savings" at the bottom of my receipt and then set it aside for vacation extras. Not any more.

Matching the sales with coupons and stockpiling the items that I use often is pretty much how I shop. I rarely buy anything that isn't on sale, so those coupon "savings" aren't really saving, in my book. I now look at it as what I pay for the items that I buy. My philosophy is that it's not about what I "save", it's about how little I spend. For instance, the shelf price for a box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran is $3.19. When it's on sale, it can be as little as $1.88 and with a coupon, I can snag that box for 88¢. Since I would stock up on enough Raisin Bran to last us until the next sale, my price point for Raisin Bran is not $3.19. It's 88¢.

I prefer to just make weekly deposits to a regular savings account that has been designated for travel. It works better for us because it's not subject to sale cycles or additional spending for holidays or parties we host.

Your stores don't double?? Where do you live?

We have not had double coupons in 10+ years here in Michigan! Add to that the coupons in the Sunday paper are just about worthless. My coupon folder has maybe 20 coupons in it. If I had to depend on coupon savings to make a trip to Disney, we would NEVER get to go!

Although my budgeting is similar to what Marionette described, I do like to make a game out of saving for Disney - using found money through Disney VISA and my cash back credit card reward program, selling things we no longer use on our community yard sale FB group, trading in promotional Target gc for Disney gc,picking up an extra shift, and, yes, couponing. My biggest savings game is the Raise site. But mostly, we budget money for vacation.

I am an Aldi's fan - that store is fantastic for my grocery budget. I save more here than at other stores with double coupons.

I like Aldi as well. Especially since you can get all you need and be out of there in 30 minutes. Time is money!

I have paid for our last three cruises (Celebrity - Concierge Balcony), plus our hotel the night before (suite at Condado Hilton in San Juan, hotel room at Embassy Suites in New Orleans) with money from surveys that I do along with savings from couponing. It takes a bit of doing, but is well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter