Cousins visiting us at hotel

terryellen1

Earning My Ears
Hi there

We are staying at both Wilderness Lodge and AKL at end of April. We will not have a car and our cousins live about an hour away. We would love to have them come visit us for a couple of hours. Is there any way we can arrange for them to use the pool with us for an hour? Wondering if it helps that we will certainly all have dinner while we are there (either at pool or at one of the restaurants)

thanks so much

Theresa

Resort pools are for the use of registered guests of that hotel.
What time of year are you going?
You can ask the lifeguard at the pool the day of your request. If it is not busy they may allow guests. It is totally up to them that day. No one here can tell you definitively yes or no.
Don't plan on it and if it happens it will be a nice bit of pixie dust.

Hi there

We are staying at both Wilderness Lodge and AKL at end of April. We will not have a car and our cousins live about an hour away. We would love to have them come visit us for a couple of hours. Is there any way we can arrange for them to use the pool with us for an hour? Wondering if it helps that we will certainly all have dinner while we are there (either at pool or at one of the restaurants)

thanks so much

Theresa
Only guests of the hotel can use the pool (or DVC members at some pools). If you have not met the occupancy limit, you can add them to your room and pay any extra guests fee. If you have the dining plan, that could also be a problem.
Denise

Ok thanks...I cannot add them to the room...but perhaps I will speak to someone at the hotel once we have arrived and see what can be done.

What we did with our extended family when we met up was planned a water park day. They brought in coolers with some snacks and drinks, we got there early to find a nice grouping of chairs around a picnic table. We had plenty of fun and lots of visiting too. Even the "older" members enjoyed the lazy river and lounging.

Two trips we were at AKL, the pool was so crowded and busy there was no way they would have allowed them. Being in control of our own day in advance was much nicer.

Disney resorts are large and generally have a very high occupancy rate thus the need to limit the pool users to people who are actually paying to enjoy the amenities - how would you feel if you went to use the pool at your resort and couldn't find a lounger or table because non guests were using them? Best to plan for activities which are allowed, planning a water park day is great if your focus is to be swimming, otherwise wandering the AKL grounds, enjoying a meal at one of the restaurants, etc. are all viable options - the pool use is just one that isn't generally ok, especially at AKL, as there's only the one pool at Jambo and generally it is quite popular with resort guests when the weather is nice. Don't know about WL's pool.

Technically, so we've been told, you're supposed to have them added as a day pass.
We've done this before with my mom and dad who stay offsite when we stay onsite. :)

I'll be the voice of dissension, and probable controversy. We're DVCr's who typically stay at AKL the second week of June. We've had my brother and his family come over for the day numerous times. They swim at the Kidani pool with us, and it's never been a problem. The pool is probably 2/3 capacity during that time, and they have never been asked for resort ID. If this were Christmas, Easter, or 4th of July, we wouldn't invite them over. We have also done this at RPR over at Universal.

During my last trip in November 2017, a cast member was scanning magic bands at pool entrance to verify we were staying at the hotel.
When I was at AKL in September 2016, no one checked bands.

I'll be the voice of dissension, and probable controversy. We're DVCr's who typically stay at AKL the second week of June. We've had my brother and his family come over for the day numerous times. They swim at the Kidani pool with us, and it's never been a problem. The pool is probably 2/3 capacity during that time, and they have never been asked for resort ID. If this were Christmas, Easter, or 4th of July, we wouldn't invite them over. We have also done this at RPR over at Universal.

Yeah...that's annoying. Unless you are saying you ask permission every time and Animal Kingdom allows your brother and his family to come swim at the pool?

Imagine your scenario. Let's say just 10 families tool in 4-5 other family members who weren't guests. That's an extra 40-50 non-payment guests using a pool for paying resort guests only. They are using the tables and chairs.

How is this fair to the paying guests. It's not and extremely rude and inconsiderate. It doesn't matter what time of year or is ~ what gives you the right to decide it's not particularly busy? That other guests who paid don't care or don't need that lounger or table your free loading guests are using. Don't say they only use one chair or something ~ that's one too many.

Sense of entitlement

Why not do a water park day? Or do mini golf instead? I wouldn't count too much on water activities anyway in case the weather gets bad.

You can always ask if the family can use the pool with you, that never hurts. Be prepared to be told no.

Personally, I would try to devise a different plan for the resort time so that there were no expectations that cannot be met. Both of the resorts you are staying at are gorgeous and have plenty of room to gather the family. If they join you ar AKL you could spend time touring the resort, and watching some of the animals, and then have a nice meal. If they visit at WL, I would think that part of the fun could be a ride on the boats around the lake, and then maybe a monorail resort tour. A meal along the way.

The restaurants, bar, and animal-viewing areas are open to all. But, the pools, playground, and courts are only for guests staying at the resort, and there are signs that indicate that they are for the exclusive use of guests staying at the resort. If they want to use the pool, you can add them to your room reservation (depending on the occupancy of your room) or they can make a 1-night reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter