Covid + after start of vacation

andee515

DIS Veteran
I am sure this has been discussed, but I have searched and cannot find....

What is Disney's Policy if you test Covid + on vacation. If your quarantine is beyond your stay, do you have to find another hotel? Since there is not room service how do you get food? Does anyone know if travel insurance covers extra expenses that would be involved with this?

I am sure this has been discussed, but I have searched and cannot find....

What is Disney's Policy if you test Covid + on vacation. If your quarantine is beyond your stay, do you have to find another hotel? Since there is not room service how do you get food? Does anyone know if travel insurance covers extra expenses that would be involved with this?

I am from Ireland and travelling to Disneyland California in a few weeks. I have a back up plan for this exact situation. I have to do a Covid test and have a negative result in order to return to Ireland.

My travel insurance will cover flight change fees, accommodation and food in the event I am denied boarding due to a positive result. However I have to pay out of pocket and put in a claim when I return home.

I have booked a back up motel near LAX with a no fee to cancel before arrival policy. I have booked a motel specifically so that if I have to isolate I can still have access to outside. I also checked to make sure that the room I booked has a microwave and fridge and laundry facilities. I have also bookmarked food delivery services. I booked at LAX airport area because I will have to get another test to return home after the isolation.

I am on a UK Disney forum and there are currently members in Florida who have tested positive during their visit. As far as I know they are offsite. Some have informed their current accommodation and have been able to extend their stay. Some have moved to a new accommodation and again informed the hotel.

Basically you need to have the funds available to either extend your current accommodation or move to a new accommodation. You need to research grocery and food delivery options. You need to have a backup plan in the event that you can't return home on your planned date and how you would manage pet sitting, work , school etc etc.

I know Universal had room service, but I can’t remember about Disney. Will you have a car? You could try curbside off property. I think you can get food delivered by restaurants/Uber to the hotels, but you have to get it from them. So, it’s not contactless. I think you usually meet them in front of the hotel.

Thanksgiving 2020, I had chills and my temp was ~100F. This was the night before our last day. We had a rental car, and DH and DS needed to be back. So, we drove home to Texas. Quarantine was longer then too. My temp was gone by the time we got in the car without any fever reducing meds. If you can drive, it might be easier.

I am really shocked there aren't more details regarding what people have done in this scenario.
I have been wondering a lot about this too. I really don't know what we would do if one of us were sick/covid+ on our trip. We are beyond easy driving distance (Chicago). And of course we're not supposed to fly. But my husband is a doctor and can't miss work or work remotely.

I have been wondering a lot about this too. I really don't know what we would do if one of us were sick/covid+ on our trip. We are beyond easy driving distance (Chicago). And of course we're not supposed to fly. But my husband is a doctor and can't miss work or work remotely.

I have been trying to think through back up plans if this were to happen as well. We are about 4 hours north/west of Chicago so close to a 20+ hr drive and that doesn't sound pleasant. Thankfully I think if we had to stay additional days we could make that work with expense and work, but I am wondering what/where would lodge people if they had to quarantine. We are DVC members so staying on points which makes it unlikely we would be able to extend our stay in the room we are in and would need to find a place to stay.

Some people are Not revealing info… their positive status.. using their own back up plan which may have been to just ck out and then get home. Not everyone needs testing to prove negative.
safe travels all

Unfortunately this is probably true. If people had a car or were within driveable distance, I could see testing positive and then just opting to drive home to quarantine.

It would also be helpful if Disney would share what/if any their plans are on how they may help/accommodate positive guests even if that is they hold a block of rooms at a specific resort and guests had to pay that rate, it would give people some idea of what to expect. I read one article stating some people were sent to Fort Wilderness, but that was in 2020 and that was the only article I could find. There was also one post on here that stated that they were at the Poly and told they would need to find alternate lodging since they were positive.

I also get people may feel bad about sharing their experience.

Last edited:
Coming from Canada. As we need negative test to fly home, for upcoming trip in three weeks we got insurance that will cover hotel & flight change fees to cover the isolation period. We would just book a hotel that has a kitchen and isolate for 5 days per CDC, then wait out the remaining days before we can fly home. (10 days after positive test).

We have not tested positive. However, we had 2 trips where we felt bad/had fevers. The first was Thanksgiving 2020. The night before we were to leave Universal, I had chills and a fever ~100F, still below 100.4F though. So, we stayed in the room. Early the next morning, I still had a temp. We packed up, notified the hotel, canceled our flight, and notified the rental car company that we would be keeping the care. After we left the parking lot, my temp had gone back to normal without any fever reducing medication. My temp stayed normal after that for days. I didn't have any other covid symptoms. We drove home to Texas, about 16 hours, and returned the rental car the next day. We were all working/schooling from home and only doing curbside/delivery. So, we were already effectively staying away from people.

Second time was July 2021 at WDW right when they reinstituted masks indoors for Delta. We had already been wearing masks indoors and in crowded outdoor situations. DH seemed to be having allergy issues the last couple days of the trip. No fever or other covid symptoms though. He has allergies at home too. On our last morning at MK, we got notification that our SW flight that night was canceled. We couldn't find a flight on any airline out of MCO, much less to home. They put us on a flight for the next night. DH needed to be home, so we decided to drive. We notified the rental car company. He was feeling worse by the time we started driving but still no fever. He progressively started feeling worse. We returned the rental car the next day. He had a fever the next day and got a covid test but had to wait a few days for results. Since it was summer and we were still working from home and no school, it wasn't a big issue. We did have to cancel movie tickets and have groceries/food delivered. I felt a little bad for a day and my temp was about ~100F but still less than 100.4F. His test came back negative, and he didn't have any other covid symptoms. It must have been a cold.

Our situations were slightly different, since they were at the end of our trips and we already had a rental car. We were also willing to drive straight through, even though it wasn't a short drive. Also, we have been taking our temps everyday since this started in March 2020. That helps us know what range we are in to get an early sign if we are heading out of the range possibly before it's a full blown fever. I don't know how effective it is against omicron; I haven't heard if most people are getting fevers or not.

I am really shocked there aren't more details regarding what people have done in this scenario.

I think most people aren’t testing while on vacation and are going to keep quiet if they don’t feel well and maybe go home. Or just continuing with their trip as planned if they have mild symptoms and they don’t think it’s covid.

Most people can’t afford or refuse to extend a trip 10-14 days (well now 5 right?) and pay for hotel, food, supplies. Also cancelling flights and paying for one way rentals to drive home is very pricey, if you are even able to drive. That’s probably why there’s not more info on it.

Last edited:
To answer the last part of the original question - there are indeed travel insurance plans that cover COVID isolation expenses. Not all of them do, so check before buying one. I use Allianz and I buy the annual plan that covers all of my trips for a year.

With as many people as I've seen recently in the parks coughing and hacking, I'd say they're just pretending they're not sick and going on with their vacation.

I don't agree with this at all. But people are clearly not staying home when sick.
Devils advocate here: my mom had the flu beginning of December (like, full first week of december) and is STILL coughing. They came to visit the week between Christmas and New Years and she had a horrible cough, she was worried so she got a covid test just in case so she didn't bring anything here to spread it to us, they also flu tested her and she was negative for both but sounded absolutely horrendous. She wanted to go out shopping for a few craft supplies while here, took some cough syrup, and only coughed one time but we had a lady lose it on us in the store (my mom was masked, and had ONE cough). Omicron is actually mostly snot, like a regular cold, but there is more than that going around right now and sometimes that just lingers in people.

On a different note: On our family trip to WDW over Memorial day week I had a kid cough right in my face as I was going to put my mask on to get in line for haunted mansion (I mean, could not have gotten me more square in the face with that cough), and 3 days later I woke up with a screaming sore throat and feeling horrible. It was the day we were supposed to drive home anyway so we informed the resort so they would know for housekeeping, and then we drove home (6.5-7 hour drive). If it hadn't been check out day we probably would have shortened our trip anyway, but we were lucky we can easily drive home. It ended up being just a bad cold, and no one else in my family got sick thank goodness, but it was a reminder to always be prepared for it.

Unfortunately this is probably true. If people had a car or were within driveable distance, I could see testing positive and then just opting to drive home to quarantine.

It would also be helpful if Disney would share what/if any their plans are on how they may help/accommodate positive guests even if that is they hold a block of rooms at a specific resort and guests had to pay that rate, it would give people some idea of what to expect. I read one article stating some people were sent to Fort Wilderness, but that was in 2020 and that was the only article I could find. There was also one post on here that stated that they were at the Poly and told they would need to find alternate lodging since they were positive.

I also get people may feel bad about sharing their experience.
I saw someone post on another forum mid December 2021 that they were at Disney currently and were positive and had been moved to Fort Wilderness. They ended up renting a car and driving home after 1 night

I'm confused. Why would Disney EVER know anyone's medical status - inluding whether they are COVID positive or not?? Your health - and plans for various scenarios - is YOUR responsibility - not Disney's :mic:

If you test Positive and someone's resort, you should let them know your status to protect staff and others. If you flew you would also need to have a place to quarantine, so if it is not with them it is at another hotel. This is preplanning and looking at various scenarios...lol
Plus they may have policies in place for additional cleaning if someone + has stayed in a room, like maybe "blocking it off" for a certain amount of time before another party can stay in it. It is important to inform the resort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter