Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so good in Ireland :( The numbers are going back up, but death numbers are very low. The majority of people testing positive for Covid 19 are now under 45 years old. Theres been clusters in meat processing factories but they are just some of the problems.

The main problem is the 2 tier approach to opening bars. Bars which serve food can open with restrictions, a minimum spend of €9 and a time limit of 90 minutes as well as the Covid 19 social distancing and limits on numbers etc etc.

Bars are getting creative with the providing of food, hiring a food truck but not caring if people don't actually buy the food.
Bars are putting food orders on the bill but telling people don't worry you wont be charged for food you don't want, as The Police just want to see the receipt for food.
Huge rise in house parties

Small rural bars who can't serve food have been closed since March and have no idea when they will reopen. This is causing huge unemployment.

A video has gone viral over the weekend of a bar in Dublin, filled with people in their 20's partying like it was 2109.

The Police are doing checks on bars which are open to make sure they comply with the rules but for every bar they check which is complying, there are 5 more they can't check which are not complying. Its like a cat and mouse game.

There is a meeting today of our National Health Emergency Team as they are not happy with the rising Covid 19 numbers. Its possible there may be more local lockdowns or even a second National lockdown, as the way things are right now is not working to keep the numbers down.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...-mutation-good-thing-says-disease-expert.html

Thats interesting but 2 things
  1. That is not a very reliable media source, it's nickname is The Daily Fail so I don't really trust anything published by it
  2. Thats a UK media website / newspaper so whatever it reports is not based on data from Ireland or from the Irish Health Department or The Irish Government
Actually the Daily Mail is a very reliable newspaper, widely read and well respected.

ford family

Regardless if the Daily Mail is a reliable newspaper or not, it would be good to have more sources quoting this. In Dutch newspapers I can't find anything yet about it.

From NL:
A government designed Corona app to make contact research easier was released yesterday, and over 400K times downloaded. There are questions about privacy, but apparently a lot of people didn't mind. It's not available everywhere in NL, it's tested in specific regions.

Tonight there will be another press conference, where they will announce that if you go into quarantine it's brought back to 10 days, instead of 14.
And we can expect more measures in Amsterdam and maybe some beach towns. Mabye some extra measures for the size of groups coming together.

Our figures of new cases is stabilizing at the moment.

Actually the Daily Mail is a very reliable newspaper, widely read and well respected.

ford family
And the number one read online site.

I find they are accurate and usually post first, before anyone else. Others will report the same thing tomorrow or the next day, watch.

Regardless if the Daily Mail is a reliable newspaper or not, it would be good to have more sources quoting this. In Dutch newspapers I can't find anything yet about it.
It's a Reuters article so various newspapers will pick it up today
globally. Even one for Maddie :)

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news...1/https://www.arabnews.com/node/1721116/world
https://canoe.com/health/infectious-covid-19-mutation-may-be-a-good-thing-says-disease-expert

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news...y-be-a-good-thing-says-disease-expert-486321/
Rumour is that the German Health Minister wants to cancel Karnival in 2021 (was a source of spread this year). It's a regional thing that is mainly celebrated in the north west of the country, but already 2021 cancelled potentially....

Update from Ireland https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...lowed-open-for-extra-30-minutes-39459259.html

The following restrictions are from today until September 13
  • All visits to homes are now limited to six people from three different households - both indoors and outdoors.
  • Gatherings and events outdoors limited to 15 people
  • Restaurants and cafes can stay open but with mandatory closing time of 11.30pm
  • Sports events and matches will revert to behind closed doors with strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after events. Indoor training should be limited to six people and outdoor should be no more than 15 people and should avoid mixing between groups.
  • Those over 70 sand those who are most vulnerable are asked to limit their interactions to a small network for short periods and to avoid public transport where possible, and to shop during designated hours.
  • Weddings will still be limited to 50 attendees.
  • Police to get more powers to inspect pubs, restaurants and house parties.
  • Businesses will be asked to allow their staff work from home if possible
  • People will also be advised to wear face masks if they are sharing a vehicle with someone who is not from their household.
  • People should only use public transport if no other alternative can be found and wear masks at all times.

And the number one read online site.

I find they are accurate and usually post first, before anyone else. Others will report the same thing tomorrow or the next day, watch.
:scratchin Thank you - I will watch with great interest. It makes a lot of sense, actually, to what we are seeing. Cases here are being diagnosed at higher rates than they were a month ago but our rates of hospitalizations and deaths are low and holding steady.

:scratchin Thank you - I will watch with great interest. It makes a lot of sense, actually, to what we are seeing. Cases here are being diagnosed at higher rates than they were a month ago but our rates of hospitalizations and deaths are low and holding steady.
Im not sure if I posted the article from Germany saying the same ie not as worrisome as in early Spring.

Tink have you talked about the Americans using the northern Ireland loophole?

• Sports events and matches will revert to behind closed doors with strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after events. Indoor training should be limited to six people and outdoor should be no more than 15 people and should avoid mixing between groups.
  • Weddings will still be limited to 50 attendees.
Can someone explain the logic on the sections I bolded? Weddings can have 50 people attend, but sporting events only 15?

Rumour is that the German Health Minister wants to cancel Karnival in 2021 (was a source of spread this year). It's a regional thing that is mainly celebrated in the north west of the country, but already 2021 cancelled potentially....
Thanks for the link to Reuters :)
I wouldn't be surprised if Carnaval 2021 will be cancelled in NL as well. Our first case was a man who unknowingly had Covid and spread it when he went out celebrating Carnaval.

The press conference didn't bring much news, mainly warnings to be careful. Restaurants and bars can be closed again if they do not step up their game.
Most new cases come from within (extended) family parties. So strongly advised not to have parties anymore, keep it to max 6 people and stop hugging.
The biggest department store in Amsterdam will close, people who visited recently are advised to get tested. Employees are advised to quarantine.

And because I need a break, I decided to book a trip to Berlin next week. There is loads of stuff to see / do outside, so fingers crossed!

Can someone explain the logic on the sections I bolded? Weddings can have 50 people attend, but sporting events only 15?

because its Ireland and we are a Catholic country and we don't have separation between Church and State. Weddings and Mass (Church services) are exempt. So you can go to Church inside with 50 people, but you can't stand in a field and watch a football match :rolleyes1

As I read that, the bulleted point is somewhat disjointed by including multiple facets.
  1. Sporting events can have NO spectators ("behind closed doors").
  2. Indoor [sports] training is limited to 6 people (i.e., not a full team)
  3. Outdoor [sports training] is limited to 15 people (i.e., again, may not be a full team)
Weddings is a completely different bullet point, max 50 attendees. But this doesn't really jive with an earlier bullet about limiting to 15 people at outdoor gatherings and events.

As I read that, the bulleted point is somewhat disjointed by including multiple facets.
  3. Outdoor [sports training] is limited to 15 people (i.e., again, may not be a full team)
Weddings is a completely different bullet point, max 50 attendees. But this doesn't really jive with an earlier bullet about limiting to 15 people at outdoor gatherings and events.

don't worry, Ireland is confussed to. Weddings are exempt and can remain at 50 people, I think as most weddings in Ireland are Church weddings. Mass (Church services) can also remain at 50 people.

Sports can resume but must be without spectators, sports training you got correct.

the limiting 15 people to outdoor gatherings is to try to stop house parties / garden parties or people gathering in large groups in parks, or outdoor spaces.

We have different limits on the number of people attending a particular activities depending on the level of interaction between the people in attendance.and the environment they are in:

- You can have up to 10 people without social distancing. Individuals may gather together in close social groups of up to 10 persons per group without adhering to the physical distancing requirements of two metres or six feet. So sports are limited to 10 people playing or training at once, unless they can social distance while participating (I think baseball manages to do that) .

- Gathering limit increased to 50 people for indoor and outdoor gatherings with social distancing

- Social events, faith gatherings, weddings, funerals, and arts and culture events that are run by a recognized business or organization can have 250 people outdoors or 50% of the venue's capacity to a maximum of 200 indoors

- For social events bigger than 10 people, you can have subgroups of 10 people who don't social distance but the subgroups have to distance from each other.

M.

because its Ireland and we are a Catholic country and we don't have separation between Church and State. Weddings and Mass (Church services) are exempt. So you can go to Church inside with 50 people, but you can't stand in a field and watch a football match :rolleyes1
That's actually not that all different from the States. Religious gatherings were either one of the last ones to get restrictions related to people, churches sued for the right to have religious gatherings in-person or had higher allowances for number of attendants. The difference here in the States is these decisions were left up to each state and within each state county (depending on the situation) rather than country-wide.

That's actually not that all different from the States. Religious gatherings were either one of the last ones to get restrictions related to people, churches sued for the right to have religious gatherings in-person or had higher allowances for number of attendants. The difference here in the States is these decisions were left up to each state and within each state county (depending on the situation) rather than country-wide.
Is there anyone else on this thread from a country other than the US that can comment on whether or not their citizens have been suing their own governments over Covid mandates?

Is there anyone else on this thread from a country other than the US that can comment on whether or not their citizens have been suing their own governments over Covid mandates?

In Australia there is a mining magnate and former politician, Clive Palmer, who is suing the government of Western Australia over its border closure to other states, claiming it is unconstitutional. Funnily enough, his claims were originally supported by the federal government, although it has since withdrawn its support and the Prime Minister has personally appealed to Palmer to withdraw his case. I think there is quite a bit more to it though; Palmer is also suing the WA government for $30 billion in a totally unrelated matter and apparently offered to withdraw his border closure case if they would settle his other matter!

Thats interesting but 2 things
  1. That is not a very reliable media source, it's nickname is The Daily Fail so I don't really trust anything published by it
  2. Thats a UK media website / newspaper so whatever it reports is not based on data from Ireland or from the Irish Health Department or The Irish Government
Maybe but numbers in the US seem to follow...more cases but far less deaths than NY, NJ and MI experienced in the spring.

Last edited:
It's a Reuters article so various newspapers will pick it up today
globally. Even one for Maddie :)

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news...1/https://www.arabnews.com/node/1721116/world
https://canoe.com/health/infectious-covid-19-mutation-may-be-a-good-thing-says-disease-expert

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news...y-be-a-good-thing-says-disease-expert-486321/
Guess travel from the US in the near future doesn’t look hopeful. ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter