Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this posted yet but looks like the 'frozen food caused COVID' theory did not hold up. I can't seem to find much about it and cannot speak to the source. Again, it leads me to believe that the sensationalist headlines get the most attention.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ut-as-the-source-of-auckland-covid19-outbreak
Edited to add a positive headline, because those are hidden by the more dramatic, scary ones!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...unity-climbs-studies-show-antibodies-protect/

I didn't see this posted yet but looks like the 'frozen food caused COVID' theory did not hold up. I can't seem to find much about it and cannot speak to the source. Again, it leads me to believe that the sensationalist headlines get the most attention.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ut-as-the-source-of-auckland-covid19-outbreak
Edited to add a positive headline, because those are hidden by the more dramatic, scary ones!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...unity-climbs-studies-show-antibodies-protect/
More likely theory...a stowaway spreading the virus.

Is there anyone else on this thread from a country other than the US that can comment on whether or not their citizens have been suing their own governments over Covid mandates?

There is a lawsuit in court right now in Newfoundland over their travel ban. ( PEI, NL and NB have had bans on non-residents entering those provinces. NS never banned anyone, but has a quarantine requirement for anyone coming from a non-Atlantic province,)

M.

There is a lawsuit in court right now in Newfoundland over their travel ban. ( PEI, NL and NB have had bans on non-residents entering those provinces. NS never banned anyone, but has a quarantine requirement for anyone coming from a non-Atlantic province,)

M.
I must have misunderstood. :confused: I though one could travel to any of the Atlantic provinces as long as they observed a 14 day quarantine upon arrival. We actually had a trip to NL and NS planned for September and were just a day or two away from actually booking when the "Atlantic Bubble" dropped. Very disappointing as neither of us have ever been that far east before but we don't have that kind of time or money for an extra 2 weeks of accommodations.

Last edited:

I must have misunderstood. :confused: I though one could travel to any of the Atlantic provinces as long as they observed a 14 day quarantine upon arrival. We actually had a trip to NL and NS planned for September and were just a day or two away from actually booking when the "Atlantic Bubble" dropped. Very disappointing as we don't have that kind of time and neither of us have ever been that far east before.
Newfoundland is amazing highly recommend it. Sometimes feels more Irish than Canadian and like Ireland strongly suggest getting to know the locals.

As predicted, the headliner this morning on Google News: Health is about the Covid mutation and how "it may be more infectious but that could be a good thing" > and in the bulk of the articles you read that that is because it causes less deaths. Once again, Daily Mail ahead of the game.

As for the frozen food debacle, I just got through reading a Reuters article this morning on Medscape called "New Zealand Considers Freight as Possible Source of New Coronavirus Cluster". Turns out the company involved in the frozen food is US-based. "China has reported several instances of the coronavirus being detected on the packaging of imported frozen seafood in recent weeks." So we'll see where that goes, but it still is being looked at as a serious consideration.

There's just so much conflicting info out there that it is impossible to know what is real and what is fake. Thank you to those who track all of this info, and share with the rest of us!

There's just so much conflicting info out there that it is impossible to know what is real and what is fake. Thank you to those who track all of this info, and share with the rest of us!

one easy way to start to tell the difference between real and fake is to source news from places like Reuters and AP (Associated Press) or direct from the individual journalists on social media instead of relying on TV channels or websites which curate (gather) news and usually have a bias one way or the other.

one easy way to start to tell the difference between real and fake is to source news from places like Reuters and AP (Associated Press) or direct from the individual journalists on social media instead of relying on TV channels or websites which curate (gather) news and usually have a bias one way or the other.
You think AP isn’t bias😂😂

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-to-new-zealand-shows-that-no-one-can-relax/#Interesting article regarding New Zealand. In the last paragraph an academic from the University of Auckland states support for full restriction until cases are at zero. Well. :scratchin As much as we have discussed it, this is the first time I’ve seen it publicly admitted as a goal, although I’m not really sure what, if any, authority this person has. I’m on record with my opinion that zero cases is a completely unrealistic expectation and if that’s the end-game, life as we know it is over.:(

On another note, my interest has been piqued by the Covid Test Thread. I’m surprised how many people in the States seem to have been denied (not sure that’s exactly the right word) tests even when they were clearly symptomatic.

Where you are, are tests readily available? We’ve been able to self-refer here since April and as of now there are a number of different options for drive-thru and walk-in testing, all available at no charge.

Have you been tested and if not, do you have a particular aversion to doing so? I was compelled to take one while seeking treatment for another (very obvious) condition in April. It wasn’t a choice - the medical facility where I was referred by our public health department wouldn’t even look at me until I’d been swabbed. At the time it was the only option for accessing non-emergency care; all clinics and doctor’s offices were closed.

Where you are, are tests readily available? We’ve been able to self-refer here since April and as of now there are a number of different options for drive-thru and walk-in testing, all available at no charge.

Have you been tested and if not, do you have a particular aversion to doing so? I was compelled to take one while seeking treatment for another (very obvious) condition in April. It wasn’t a choice - the medical facility where I was referred by our public health department wouldn’t even look at me until I’d been swabbed. At the time it was the only option for accessing non-emergency care; all clinics and doctor’s offices were closed.

Tests are available to everyone in Ireland and its free. People do not need to have health insurance or be on medical benefits to get a test. You ring your GP and get assessed by phone. The GP will then give your a referral appointment to a testing centre. My local sports stadium has been converted to a testing centre, if I needed a test I could walk there.

If you are not registered with a GP you can ring ANY GP and get a test referral appointment.

I have been tested and it was negative. I was tested at a hospital as I needed treatment for stomach issues. I got my result unofficially from my consultant 24 hours later at the hospital and then a few hours later I got an official text message from The Irish Health Service.

Where you are, are tests readily available?
Max testing for PCR tests is 1,500 a day (population about 10 million). They are only testing people in the hospital, medical workers, people who died outside the hospital, and those who severe symptoms who have a known contact. Our testing rate had been 50% positive or above the whole 5 months.

You can get a rapid antibody test at the cost of anywhere from $50 to $200 dollars if you have money and can find a place selling the tests. These numbers and NOT included in any of the countries numbers,only the PCR tests.

So if testing is our only hope, we are in big trouble.

Max testing for PCR tests is 1,500 a day (population about 10 million). They are only testing people in the hospital, medical workers, people who died outside the hospital, and those who severe symptoms who have a known contact. Our testing rate had been 50% positive or above the whole 5 months.

You can get a rapid antibody test at the cost of anywhere from $50 to $200 dollars if you have money and can find a place selling the tests. These numbers and NOT included in any of the countries numbers,only the PCR tests.

So if testing is our only hope, we are in big trouble.
Are the antibody tests in your area considered highly accurate or just so-so?

Are the antibody tests in your area considered highly accurate or just so-so?
There is no way to know, unless you read the box the test came from a researched it yourself. Most things are donated and thus no market forces or questions asked. I do know the ones on the island were bought from Canada. with a donation given for that purpose and they keep saying that are not that accurate so we only go by PCR tests. I have no idea what they mean when the government says that.

Is there anyone else on this thread from a country other than the US that can comment on whether or not their citizens have been suing their own governments over Covid mandates?
This was our the other day. Didn’t see anyone else post about it.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/new-zealand-premier-sued-over-covid-19-lockdown/1808845
ETA Ooh sorry looks like this is an older article, but there was a similar, newer one out yesterday, will see if I can find it again. But point is, it does happen elsewhere too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter