• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the crazy thing though...none of what any of us are doing seems to be helping. What do we do next? :( In many of the States they're still debating masks. Masks are just a given here, as is the social distancing that most of us have adopted. It is very concerning that those measures, that should have helped, really haven't.
I think we have to start wearing masks inside homes when family or friends visit. I only say that as it seems most of the cases stem from there.

More likely we'll go to the "circuit breaker" requirement of no allowable social visits inside homes at all.
I'm fine if that's what they do but I have my doubts that will work long term. Yes it will bring cases down but as soon they open things again cases will rise again. It really is strange to me that people will wear a mask and do social distancing in public but in the comfort of their home it goes all out the window.

I'm fine if that's what they do but I have my doubts that will work long term. Yes it will bring cases down but as soon they open things again cases will rise again. It really is strange to me that people will wear a mask and do social distancing in public but in the comfort of their home it goes all out the window.
I do not find it strange at all. It isn't based on logic, it's based on emotion.
Your home is an emotional place. You make many more emotional connections with people in a home than you do in a restaurant. When you invite someone into your home, your connection gets tighter than when you always meet at a restaurant for example. Giving up that is much harder than the inconvenience of outside social distancing or wearing a mask. Outisde your connections are much shorter and more fleeting.

Strange comparison, but think of it as emotional eaters. You do know that when you are upset that eating a cookie is not going to make you feel better (for long). but the rational is not as strong as the emotion.
We want to think that we are all rational beings and that our brain can overtake our emotions, but when you look into how the brain works, Your emotional brain is much older than our rational brain, and can very easily overrule it.

I think we have to start wearing masks inside homes when family or friends visit. I only say that as it seems most of the cases stem from there.

Our health officials definitely think that’s the case. That’s why we are still only allowed 2 visitors plus dependents to your home (until this week they had to be from the same household) but can have groups of 10 outdoors or in restaurants. We are supposed to wear masks when visiting, although obviously it can’t be monitored.

Thank you for your perspective. So does the government not trust people to quarantine upon return? Again I am just wondering and trying to understand the rules. I live in NY and while there is no official travel ban we are required to self quarantine from 43 states upon return. Does everyone follow this? Of course that would be a big no. But I feel that it still allows freedom to move about and there is an understanding that you should be doing your part for the community.

The fact that your health insurance would not cover you would be a big determinant. Is that because you have universal health care and not private insurance? I am pretty sure my health insurance would cover me. I have always been told by all the doctors that I have the Cadillac(expensive car) plan that pretty much covers everything at a low co pay.

That is why I always look for and read this thread first. I love the perspectives of all the people from different countries. We can so easily get caught up in our own little bubble that we forget about others.
Anyone that is allowed into

Australia whether it be citizens still returning home or Hollywood movie stars or sporting teams, the Indian Cricket team just arrived in last few days. Once you clear immigration and customs you are taken straight to a quarateen hotel by bus, you are not allowed to meet with any family or friends who might be waiting to greet you. You stay in quarateen for 14 days at your own cost, you are tested during your stay and if on the 14th day U are negative U can go home. We have a lot of positive cases in quarateen hotels . You have no choice , so if you don't want to do this you stay where you are and don't fly home. No tourists or international students allowed in & as other poster said we can't leave!

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. It’s very true. This is why cases are rising in Europe. It’s not because people are traveling or going out and about too much, is because they feel safe in their own homes and have social contacts there- who wears masks then? . Psychologically speaking inviting friends and family is safe, but it is not. Inviting another family over for dinner puts you at more risk then sitting next to a stranger on a plane. Which scenario are you wearing a mask?

Anyone that is allowed into

Australia whether it be citizens still returning home or Hollywood movie stars or sporting teams, the Indian Cricket team just arrived in last few days. Once you clear immigration and customs you are taken straight to a quarateen hotel by bus, you are not allowed to meet with any family or friends who might be waiting to greet you. You stay in quarateen for 14 days at your own cost, you are tested during your stay and if on the 14th day U are negative U can go home. We have a lot of positive cases in quarateen hotels . You have no choice , so if you don't want to do this you stay where you are and don't fly home. No tourists or international students allowed in & as other poster said we can't leave!

It should be noted that there are some exemptions to the hotel quarantine. It seems to be if a third party is able to take sufficient measures to provide personal security at an appropriate location then you can quarantine there. Naturally, that tends to be limited to celebrities, e.g. when Tom Hanks returned the production company provided him with penthouse apartment to quarantine in. The Prime Minister is going to Japan and will be quarantining outside of a hotel.

Overseas arrivals are definitely now our greatest risk here. Unfortunately our 7 day streak of zero community transmissions across the entire country was broken today with 3 cases in South Australia; they are family members and 1 works in hotel quarantine. The SA authorities seem to be jumping on this a lot faster than the Victorian ones did, so hopefully it gets under control quickly. Victoria has now gone 16 days with no new cases or deaths with 3 known active cases remaining.

So I missed this but on November 4th my state added South Dakota to their travel quarantine list, but they also added Belgium and Czechia for travel at the same time.

Announcement from the BC Premier today:

B.C. Premier John Horgan announced during an address Tuesday morning that non-essential travel within B.C. will be prohibited for two weeks.
“When it comes to travel, non-essential travel is prohibited in British Columbia and it will remain that way for the next two weeks at least,” he said.

This feels like the beginning of a lockdown for our province. :sad:

Announcement from the BC Premier today:

This feels like the beginning of a lockdown for our province. :sad:
Well this isn't really a surprise. They 'asked us nicely' not to travel, so now a ban/prohibition is the likely next step. Horgan tends to be more 'firm' with us than Dr Bonnie lol
However, I disagree with a full lockdown coming. We were never really locked down during the first wave, BC had more open during that time than any other province. And Education Minister Fleming said today in an interview that he doesn't think extending the Christmas school break is a good idea (though he's not ruling it out completely) and admits that closing schools in March was maybe not the best idea, and at best was a knee jerk reaction since other provinces did it first.

I, for one, am glad they are making it a priority to keep our schools open.

Well this isn't really a surprise. They 'asked us nicely' not to travel, so now a ban/prohibition is the likely next step. Horgan tends to be more 'firm' with us than Dr Bonnie lol
However, I disagree with a full lockdown coming. We were never really locked down during the first wave, BC had more open during that time than any other province. And Education Minister Fleming said today in an interview that he doesn't think extending the Christmas school break is a good idea (though he's not ruling it out completely) and admits that closing schools in March was maybe not the best idea, and at best was a knee jerk reaction since other provinces did it first.

I agree with you about the lockdown, Tomorrow will tell but I have a feeling we will be just seeing more restrictions in place for higher risk areas gyms etc. Dr Bonnie keeps saying that a high number of the transmission is happening from gatherings in homes. I don't know how they will stop that but the travel ban is the first step I guess. Good thing Horgan is more firm because many are not listening to Dr Bonnie asking nicely. Watching our numbers jump up is unnerving to say the least.

@tlcdoula Especially when we were down to single digit case numbers in June and July......I know we are testing more now than we were in the Spring but still......UGH UGH UGH :(

My son's school has a really long Winter break, his last day is Dec. 11th so I really hope it is not extended even further than that! (unlikely though since it is a private school)

As for not closing the schools...the number of recent school exposures here on the Island is a bit concerning to me, tbh. So far they 6 current ones are all Ladysmith and Nanaimo, but those places are not too far from Victoria.

@tlcdoula Especially when we were down to single digit case numbers in June and July......I know we are testing more now than we were in the Spring but still......UGH UGH UGH :(

Back in July or August Manitoba was one day away from having zero active cases. Since then we’ve been going up by leaps and bounds. We’re one step away from a full on lockdown again and I think it’s only a matter of time.

Totally, everyday when I look up the numbers it makes me so anxious. I have gone back to ordering groceries online and picking up, trying a produce delivery to see if that will work for nicer produce. Would love to see our numbers like there were a couple of months ago and hopefully we can get back to that. I see customers getting more frustrated with all the protocol etc in place at work, while I can understand as all of us are frustrated it makes for tempers to be flared etc. Covid needs to go away, we need to be planning our disney trips not planning our grocery shops. Rant over :sad1:

And open the windows, turn on the air purifier.

My doctor's office is lucky, almost all the rooms and cubicles have windows. She plans on keeping them all 4-6" open thru the winter.

DS first semester at college only has one week to go. They did 50/50 hybrid in-person and live stream for most of his classes to make room to distance in the classrooms. Almost 10k students there. Next semester starts end of January. Might be more of the same but I'm pretty confident the semesters after that will be back to normal.

https://www.wpunj.edu/covid19/dashboard.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter