Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what streaming restrictions there may be but on the US Netflix site there's a documentary-style comedy special about 2020. It's called Death to 2020.

It's highly inappropriate at times, has profanity def. makes fun of leaders from several countries, does focus on the U.S. but also several other countries. Actors play various parts of real people and not real people. Hugh Grant is in it, Samuel L Jackson is in it, Lisa Kudrow, Leslie Jones, etc.

It's basically a year in review of 2020 though of course a lot of that is focused on the pandemic. In any case my husband and I just watched it and if you need a mostly comedic relief that's something to watch. There are a few sobering parts but mostly the topics are handled with comedy. Don't watch it, if you're able to, if you tend to get offended at stuff. Not judging anyone just giving the warning.

For a crazy year it was at least about an hour's worth of mostly laughing (with a few moments of sobering aspects)..call it cathartic if you will.

Annette, you were looking for some good news. Manitoba only had 107 new cases today, of which 43 were in Winnipeg. That’s the lowest it’s been in a long time.

Wonderful news Nora.

And Ireland has starting vaccinating so The Netherlands is officially going to be the last in the EU...
We are out our max of ICU capacity, hospitals almost full and the army is going to help in nursing homes!
But as of today you need a negative test to get into the Netherlands, so that's something I guess...

Well you made our local news ticker tonight.

Is the vaccine roll out really the 8th of January? Is that correct Karin?

Maybe our premier got your news on there as he was getting a backlash for taking two days off with administration of the vaccine.

They must’ve drawn up the whole vial instead of dividing it into several doses.

I can't imagine when the vaccinator (did I just make up a word?!? ) found out. How horrid would one feel.

we had one incident....a pharmacist also was given an overdose by mistake - also 5 doses instead of one..
no excuse for it happening, but he was fine afterwards..

Apparently they tried high doses during the trial.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/first-covid-vaccine-to-be-given-in-republic-today-1056614.html
Half of the doses which arrived in Ireland on December 26 have been held back to ensure there are sufficient quantities to administer the second dose.

Which I think makes sense, and how I thought it would go and then this news.......

Ontario was doing that with their initial allotment but have recently decided to use it all, as are many other provinces including Alberta. The approaches have been quite a mixed-bag as each province is responsible for their own administration of health care.
Ontario changes COVID-19 vaccination plans after slowing rollout - The Globe and Mail

I don't know what to think about that choice.

Unfortunately, my brothers their wives my dh and I during a duo visit had our first uncomfortable mandate post Christmas/pre New Year's discussion. Older brother is in Hamilton (45 minutes from Toronto, Ontario) younger is on Vancouver Island, and we are in Niagara Falls, Ontario area.

Older brother and his family got together with their children's family despite our Ontario mandate to celebrate Christmas with our household only. Their point of view was not all together, they went to each of their two children's homes during Christmas. Their son hosted them outside with heaters set up.

My younger brother have been following mandates as they evolve and change. However, got together for Christmas as normal even though they were advised not to spend celebrations outside their household.

Dh and I are and continue following the ever changing mandates and advice offered throughout the pandemic.

There were moments of silence totally unusual for us. Older brother and his wife got into a tiff with each other as he stated he did not want to get together, but that people do whatever they **** well please.

She ended their tiff with well, ok we won't get together for New Year's Eve then, but with a tone of AND IT WILL BE ALL YOUR FAULT!

I've told dh that I'd like to skip our next Duo virtual because it follows New Year's Day... sigh.

I must have made about ten to fifteen Christmas calls and/or texts on Christmas Eve. Only one was following protocol.

I wasn't even asking, people were rambling it all out to me like I was their priest. :laughing::drinking1

Last edited:

...I don't know what to think about that choice.
Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I can only surmise the Federal Government is very confident a continued supply will be available on schedule. They gave no recommendations to the provinces to preserve 2nd doses. And Gen. Rick Hillier, heading up Ontario's Vaccine Distribution Task Force, is a person who inspires trust. I'd imagine your odds are as good with him at the helm as they possibly could be.

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I can only surmise the Federal Government is very confident a continued supply will be available on schedule. They gave no recommendations to the provinces to preserve 2nd doses. And Gen. Rick Hillier, heading up Ontario's Vaccine Distribution Task Force, is a person who inspires trust. I'd imagine your odds are as good with him at the helm as they possibly could be.

It's a 50/50 outlook for me. I don't why I am so unsettled with it all, honestly. I suppose it's if the *very confident* all of a sudden gets blown out of the water.

But that is the risk involved with tough decisions.

I'm not sure what streaming restrictions there may be but on the US Netflix site there's a documentary-style comedy special about 2020. It's called Death to 2020.

It's highly inappropriate at times, has profanity def. makes fun of leaders from several countries, does focus on the U.S. but also several other countries. Actors play various parts of real people and not real people. Hugh Grant is in it, Samuel L Jackson is in it, Lisa Kudrow, Leslie Jones, etc.

It's basically a year in review of 2020 though of course a lot of that is focused on the pandemic. In any case my husband and I just watched it and if you need a mostly comedic relief that's something to watch. There are a few sobering parts but mostly the topics are handled with comedy. Don't watch it, if you're able to, if you tend to get offended at stuff. Not judging anyone just giving the warning.

For a crazy year it was at least about an hour's worth of mostly laughing (with a few moments of sobering aspects)..call it cathartic if you will.
I just watched this too and I thought it was funny, but it seems to have a lot of bad reviews!

I just watched this too and I thought it was funny, but it seems to have a lot of bad reviews!
IMDb is showing 7.0 with over 6K ratings and Rotten Tomatoes is showing 70% with 176 users..now critics are 29% but there's only 14 of them voting..what do the critics know anyways :laughing:

I did just look up an article by Vulture (just a quick google search) that doesn't have good things to say about it but methinks they just weren't the targeted audience lol. I'm not saying the special is oscar-worthy but it left me laughing throughout most of it..and that's what I needed ::yes::

IMDb is showing 7.0 with over 6K ratings and Rotten Tomatoes is showing 70% with 176 users..now critics are 29% but there's only 14 of them voting..what do the critics know anyways :laughing:

I did just look up an article by Vulture (just a quick google search) that doesn't have good things to say about it but methinks they just weren't the targeted audience lol. I'm not saying the special is oscar-worthy but it left me laughing throughout most of it..and that's what I needed ::yes::
Yeah, I just googled the name and was surprised to find several articles that mentioned how bad it is! I agree that it was not oscar-worthy but I enjoyed watching it! DH doesn't care for any documentary-type shows, so I was on my own! :-)

Good morning all, Its been awhile since I checked in as there was nothing to really report since the news stopped talking about covid in wake of the 2 hurricanes. We have been off lockdown since mid November. It was a slow affair starting in October but spread up due to natural disaster and no way to enforce it due to the major needs that presented. We do still have a curfew of 10pm to 5 am. This was lifted on Dec 24 and 25th and will be the 31st and 1st too. Masks are required everywhere and most places squirt you with sanitizer and take your temp before entering. Everything is allowed to be open but night clubs and bars. Still waiting for them to open schools. National school year here is Feb to Nov so expecting information after the start of the year. But Universities are year round and many private schools, of which there are many, follow the US schedule of Aug-May/June.

Today they finally did share numbers in detail. I had been wondering, seeing stories all over the place that things were escalating. But we are not. It has been cold and raining for 2 months, making it prime cold and flu season. We hit a new low here on Christmas, 67 F (hehehe) Well I was freezing and put on socks and a sweater all week!

In Honduras, and the population is just under 10 million, we have a total of 1,401 beds available for covid patients and 480 are occupied. We have 62 ICU beds in addition to that and 30 are occupied. On the island we have 20 of those beds, and 2 are occupied. Testing is happening but they are not really reporting them with a nightly news broadcast, you have to look in the newspaper to see them.

We had a quiet Christmas, It was strange to have no gifts. (There is no where on the island to buy things like that this year). We did eat well and kids still swam all week in the pool. 🥶 Good families memories. Here is a photo of my whole crew. 🥰
Kevin and I celebrate our 20th anniversary this next week on the 6th too!
christmas2022.jpg

Well, after 61 days, our streak of zero community transmissions has officially ended in Victoria. :worried: 3 cases have been acquired in Melbourne. They are from different suburbs so I don’t know if they’re linked to each other, but it is believed they are all close contacts of people from NSW; the timing is also perfect for them to have acquired it on Christmas Day. All close contacts are in isolation and a list of locations the positive cases have visited has been published with everyone urged to get tested, regardless of symptoms.

It was to be expected, especially with the cases and lax approach over the border, but there are a lot of anxious Victorians tonight. I think we are all a bit traumatised from what we’ve been through; hopefully our government is better prepared now to get on top of this ASAP.

Good morning all, Its been awhile since I checked in as there was nothing to really report since the news stopped talking about covid in wake of the 2 hurricanes. We have been off lockdown since mid November. It was a slow affair starting in October but spread up due to natural disaster and no way to enforce it due to the major needs that presented. We do still have a curfew of 10pm to 5 am. This was lifted on Dec 24 and 25th and will be the 31st and 1st too. Masks are required everywhere and most places squirt you with sanitizer and take your temp before entering. Everything is allowed to be open but night clubs and bars. Still waiting for them to open schools. National school year here is Feb to Nov so expecting information after the start of the year. But Universities are year round and many private schools, of which there are many, follow the US schedule of Aug-May/June.

Today they finally did share numbers in detail. I had been wondering, seeing stories all over the place that things were escalating. But we are not. It has been cold and raining for 2 months, making it prime cold and flu season. We hit a new low here on Christmas, 67 F (hehehe) Well I was freezing and put on socks and a sweater all week!

In Honduras, and the population is just under 10 million, we have a total of 1,401 beds available for covid patients and 480 are occupied. We have 62 ICU beds in addition to that and 30 are occupied. On the island we have 20 of those beds, and 2 are occupied. Testing is happening but they are not really reporting them with a nightly news broadcast, you have to look in the newspaper to see them.

We had a quiet Christmas, It was strange to have no gifts. (There is no where on the island to buy things like that this year). We did eat well and kids still swam all week in the pool. 🥶 Good families memories. Here is a photo of my whole crew. 🥰
View attachment 546891

what a beautiful picture!!!
happy anniversary!
thanks for the update....that was very very very interesting..
it's just so amazing that this is such a global event...

Well, after 61 days, our streak of zero community transmissions has officially ended in Victoria. :worried: 3 cases have been acquired in Melbourne. They are from different suburbs so I don’t know if they’re linked to each other, but it is believed they are all close contacts of people from NSW; the timing is also perfect for them to have acquired it on Christmas Day. All close contacts are in isolation and a list of locations the positive cases have visited has been published with everyone urged to get tested, regardless of symptoms.

It was to be expected, especially with the cases and lax approach over the border, but there are a lot of anxious Victorians tonight. I think we are all a bit traumatised from what we’ve been through; hopefully our government is better prepared now to get on top of this ASAP.
By “get on top of it” do you mean putting you all back into full lock-down?

No - why should it? There's nothing there that seems beyond the capabilities of a qualified health-care professional and what, really, do you know about all the other routine medical procedures you receive? I'd wager the formal instructions for even very simple things would sound daunting to a layman.

I'm weary of all the pearl-clutching; these few incidents (errors and reactions) are statistically insignificant against the number of vaccinations that have now been administered. I'm sure similar things happen in many other contexts.

Fwiw, I was also thinking of fatigued health care workers, having to do all that is (extra steps) involved.

My pearls :faint:are being used as a rosary these days, and months (when I venture out of the basement that is..) because we here in Ontario are still screwing with Covid19 royally!

Last edited:
Fwiw, I was also thinking of fatigued health care workers, having to do all that is (extra steps) involved.

My pearls :faint:are being used as a rosary these days, and months (when I venture out of the basement that is..) because we here in Ontario are still screwing with Covid19 royally!

Almost 3000 cases today, go Ontario :(

View attachment 546891

Gorgeous group picture! Happy 'Almost' Anniversary!! :sunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter