• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid knocked us out of a trip this year help please !!

Nickmalone81

Earning My Ears
So my family and I planned to come to Disney in November ... we waited til we could book for copper creak ( that’s our home place ) but nothing was available so we keep checking but nothing ... covid happened and we tried to find something anywhere else but couldn’t find anything plus Disneyworld was closed ... now we have 249 points 200 we can bank ( that’s fine) but the other 49 expire in November . We don’t wanna lose the points but there is no where for us to stay when we can come and I’m pretty sure Disney will close again soon . We have to bank points by mid July so what can I do with these points so that we don’t lose all that money . We don’t really wanna go the rti track because we bought this package to go to Disney . Any advice would be great thanks

Side note I have contacted Disney about 20 times trying to get my 49 points banked since covid is the reason and the not knowing what’s going to happen between now and November . They can’t help and senior members of management never call me back

So my family and I planned to come to Disney in November ... we waited til we could book for copper creak ( that’s our home place ) but nothing was available so we keep checking but nothing ... covid happened and we tried to find something anywhere else but couldn’t find anything plus Disneyworld was closed ... now we have 249 points 200 we can bank ( that’s fine) but the other 49 expire in November . We don’t wanna lose the points but there is no where for us to stay when we can come and I’m pretty sure Disney will close again soon . We have to bank points by mid July so what can I do with these points so that we don’t lose all that money . We don’t really wanna go the rti track because we bought this package to go to Disney . Any advice would be great thanks
When you say expire in November I assume it’s by 11/30.

unless DVC will close again I don’t expect the points to be extended and that is only IF you have a reservation which will be impacted. Points have already been extended to 11/30. If your points is not tied up in a reservation then my guesstimate is that the points won’t get extended, as that would compare to not using the points and just letting them expire.

My best guess is that if you don’t use the points they will expire. If you can’t put them to any use you have the option to bank them with RCI.

Let ASSUME that DVC closes again 9/1 and at some point DVC decide to extend affected points then your points won’t be able to rebook until AFTER 12/1 and then it wouldn’t matter if DVC opened up again 10/15. If you had to rebook for a date after 11/30 you would have to wait until after 12/1.

if you can’t find any suitable rooms now then you can try and wait it out, and no later than 45 days before expiration you would need to bank with RCI.

I know it’s a bummer not being able to use the points, so I hope you find a solution.

I just looked at the DVC website and searched November 1-30 at all DVC resorts, one bedroom and studio and there are some nights open at most of them. For instance if you just wanted to use the 49 points, you can get a standard studio at AKV for 48 points, in on 11/1 and out on 11/5.

Maybe change your search and you'll find something that suits?

When in November do you want to go? There is availability for studios most nights in November at SSR (especially in Preferred view) , and there are still nights at other resorts, also. People are changing their plans very frequently and you still have 4 + months to fill in any missing nights via stalking or waitlist. If you can go in November and are somewhat flexible, it's probably too soon to give up on getting a booking. Good luck!

DVC is unlikely to close again. Theme parks, maybe, but I doubt it. Federal policy is going down a non-restrictive path and DeSantis is unlikely to take a significantly more restrictive stance. Obviously, the challenge for those traveling to FL from out of state is if their state will require quarantine on return from a Florida trip, but Disney and DVC are not required to anything about that if they are allowed to operate in Florida and are compliant with Florida real estate law.

we waited til we could book for copper creak ( that’s our home place ) but nothing was available so we keep checking but nothing ...

As others stated you need to look at other places to stay. CCV is a fairly hard studio to get even at 7 months.

Like CarolMN stated, SSR has lots of availability in November. Preferred view has a little more than standard view. 1 bedrooms have even more options. Hope you find something.

We are in a position to lose points through no fault of our own. Our May trip was rebooked to Sept. and now our state has a travel restriction if you are coming from Florida - we could deal with that. Unfortunately when the Governor extended his order for Florida yesterday that makes our trip impossible. Running out of time to wait to see if the order is lifted or amended since I don’t want to have to be forced to use points in 60 days if we cancel in less than 30 days. Thus whole thing is a mess. You book using points the way they are supposed to be used and in advance so you get the villa you want and resort you want
and now we are going to lose a lot of points.

I would urge you to go back and search again. I just booked a 7 night trip through Thanksgiving in a 1 bedroom at BLT yesterday evening. I saw plenty of availability for November (including studios) if you are open to SSR or to split stays. There seem to be more things opening up in November as people cancel.

Last edited:
Sorry, as others have said, there are available options at WDW and if CCV is your home resort, I doubt you would have had an issue if you tried to book when it came available (11 months). whole post smells fishy and the reasoning keeps changing.

Sure, COVID is not your fault, its also not Disney's. The resorts are open and available......

49 points isn't too bad. We are set to lose 109 banked points from 2018 UY. I need to move them to RCI.

Don't know if this info will help anyone, but we were thinking of cancelling our November trip which was using borrowed points. I called to see if they would put the borrowed points back into their original use year and the CM said that, as of yesterday, they were allowed to do it. So hopefully no one will be losing any points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter