Covid testing at Port Canaveral

Can you get tested at the port the day of departure and get results uploaded as required? What is the cost if it’s available.?

Can you get tested at the port the day of departure and get results uploaded as required? What is the cost if it’s available.?
if you're talking about the rapid test, yes you can do it at the port. I believe the cost is $74 per person

I thought that the email this morning might have been about eliminating testing. Alas, it did not (it was about kids and vaccinations). Rather than stress about bringing tests with us, and downloading Zoom and having a set time, etc . . . I am considering just testing at the port. The $74 is not cheap but alleviates a ton of stress and bother. Has anyone tested at the port lately? Is it easily done? Were there a lot of people doing it? My cruise is not until December and I am hoping things will change. This recent development (kids vaccines) changes in 3 weeks. So that could happen with testing, as well? Fingers crossed.

I thought that the email this morning might have been about eliminating testing. Alas, it did not (it was about kids and vaccinations). Rather than stress about bringing tests with us, and downloading Zoom and having a set time, etc . . . I am considering just testing at the port. The $74 is not cheap but alleviates a ton of stress and bother. Has anyone tested at the port lately? Is it easily done? Were there a lot of people doing it? My cruise is not until December and I am hoping things will change. This recent development (kids vaccines) changes in 3 weeks. So that could happen with testing, as well? Fingers crossed.
I got tested at the port but back in February. We also had to do another test 3 days prior. I'll be honest, the port testing was pretty stressful compared to the days before. For mine, out of Port Canaveral, you drove up to the testing spot. They gave you the instructions and helped you do the test, you went and parked and then waited for your results through email. The worst part about testing at the port is anxiously awaiting your results while other people are walking their luggage into the terminal. It honestly wasn't that bad, but being THAT close to the ship and not knowing whether you were going or not was a bit stress inducing. Of course, the relief when you test negative and get the all clear was awesome.

We got tested at the port for our late June/early July cruise and found the procedure far different than our March cruise. In June there were two entrances, one for those who tested in the last few days and one who would be tested at the port. There was no line for the at port testing. We walked right in, went through security, they took our information, tested us, we waited in the same area and not long after our phones showed us results and we could board. It was quick, much less than a half hour - probably 15 minutes from arriving to heading to board. It was not crowded and so easy. We would have lost an afternoon of vacation had we tested on our own and the port was so quick and easy.

The main advantage of testing early (besides cost) is not getting all the way to the port, having someone test positive and then be stuck trying to get home. Disney will get you back to the airport, but their letter makes it clear they will do absolutely nothing else. If you are flying in, you can test 2 days prior and at least know before you leave if there is a problem. If you drive, probably not as much of an issue since you can just get back in the car and drive home. But making new travel arrangements could be problematic and expensive in some situations. So the testing early is definitely a better choice sometimes.

Testing ahead of time is very easy and probably cheaper. We used eMed and the whole thing took about 20 minutes per person. Results are there within 15 minutes and easily uploaded to safe passage.

We got tested at the port for our late June/early July cruise and found the procedure far different than our March cruise. In June there were two entrances, one for those who tested in the last few days and one who would be tested at the port. There was no line for the at port testing. We walked right in, went through security, they took our information, tested us, we waited in the same area and not long after our phones showed us results and we could board. It was quick, much less than a half hour - probably 15 minutes from arriving to heading to board. It was not crowded and so easy. We would have lost an afternoon of vacation had we tested on our own and the port was so quick and easy.
This sounds significantly better than my experience, but I agree with the post below. The only downside is not finding out ahead of time and possibly cost, but much better than wasting an afternoon of vacation.

Disney has just posted new guidelines effective 9/2/2022 for cruises.
So confused … Does each CruiseLine make up their own ?

Each cruise line DOES make up their own rules based on the CDC information. Obviously, DCL is way more 'conservative' than the other lines.

Have to say testing at the port might be the way to go . . . OR at the Orlando Airport. We are flying in a week ahead of time and driving down to Key West (rental car). If they don't let us on the cruise we'll just figure something else to do in FL. My friend is coming from Switzerland. And we are taking DCL transportation. AND to be honest, I don't really care if I am the last person on the ship. I don't need that extra 45 minutes or whatever. I'm not that . . . particular?

In terms of making new travel arrangements if we are left at the dock - seriously, I think we can spend a really awesome week on our own in Florida for less than the $5,000 cruise! We'll have lobster every night! Find a fancy hotel overlooking the ocean! Swim with dolphins! Buy some new sandals , . I can think of a lot of ways to spend $5,000.

I DO hope that by December the testing will also be dropped by Disney. They can decided at any time and give 2 weeks notice so . . . .

THANKS for the replies!

We are considering this option for our cruise 9/3. Did you park at the port? If I am reading your post correctly, you entered the terminal, checked in, went thru security and then tested? No more testing in the parking deck?

We are considering this option for our cruise 9/3. Did you park at the port? If I am reading your post correctly, you entered the terminal, checked in, went thru security and then tested? No more testing in the parking deck?
We took a van service to the port. We were not actually inside the terminal when tested but an auxillary area and waited in the area where the testing was done. We did not actually enter the check in area until we were finished with testing.

We took a van service to the port. We were not actually inside the terminal when tested but an auxillary area and waited in the area where the testing was done. We did not actually enter the check in area until we were finished with testing.
Do you have to wear a mask in the testing area?

I got tested at the port when I went on the Wish on July 25th. My PAT was 1:00pm. I showed up at noon. When I was summoned by the luggage drop-off coordinator and they asked about my PAT, I told them I had a COVID test at port. I dropped my luggage off as normal then paid and parked in the garage. My mom and I took our carry on luggage down to floor 1 and over to the white tent. When we entered, I told them we had purchased an at port test and they ushered us to a cubicle in the tent (they're divided by a thick plastic). The tester told us all the warnings and considerations and confirmed we wanted the test. Then they guided us to swap the inside of our nose with a cotton swab (shallow swab, each nostril) and stick the q-tip in a vial and verify our names. They said it would take 45 minutes and ushered us into a waiting area where a Disney movie was playing on a TV. It was nice and cold with the AC. In reality, we waited 20 minutes and were notified via email that we had results. We showed the results to the attendant at the exit and made our way over to the terminal as usual! Easy peasy and we were inside by right around 1pm! It cost 156 dollars for two people total.

Correct, no more testing in the parking garage. We just parked there mid July and there was no more testing in garage. They still had some tents up outside but there seemed to be less.

MJ

Do you need schedule testing at the port ahead of time or can you just walk in?

Thank you! Do you happen to know how to schedule? I can’t seem to find that nformation.
You would log on to your dcl.safepassage.com account and schedule there. It's the last option when you go into the Embarkation Screening section.

You have to be 15 days or less from your sail date before you can create the safepassage account. And your vaccine cards need have been uploaded and approved before you can access the Embarkation Screening section.

You would log on to your dcl.safepassage.com account and schedule there. It's the last option when you go into the Embarkation Screening section.

You have to be 15 days or less from your sail date before you can create the safepassage account. And your vaccine cards need have been uploaded and approved before you can access the Embarkation Screening section.
Thanks again. I was totally missing that for some reason!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter