• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid Tests before boarding

jrholtz

Earning My Ears
For the testing done at the port before boarding the ship, do the passengers put the swab in their own noses or does a technician put it in your nose? My kids are ok doing the test on themselves, but have a hard time when someone else wants to stick it in their nose. We will be boarding next week in Miami.

From what I've heard on here, the swabbing is done by the passengers with supervision (from a tech, etc.)

Tests are self administered under supervision. Parents of younger cruisers may do the swabbing. Your kids may be instructed to insert the swab more, but no tech will be swabbing them.

I can attest nobody touches you or your test until it’s completed and you have put it back in the bag. They point and instructed, no touching. That was last week, I have a blow by blow post further down the way.

For the testing done at the port before boarding the ship, do the passengers put the swab in their own noses or does a technician put it in your nose? My kids are ok doing the test on themselves, but have a hard time when someone else wants to stick it in their nose. We will be boarding next week in Miami.
Depending on how old the kids are you may have to do it for them. I was instructed I had to do it for my nine year olds—suspect they don’t trust kids to do it properly. A teen would probably be allowed to self administer I assume.

Just be mindful it is a PCR test, if anyone has had COVID in the last 90 days... there is a chance for a positive result still. So if anyone did contract COVID recently, be good to get a doctors note that they are clear now.

I expect Disney going to be turning away a number of guest after this recent Omicron surge.

Just be mindful it is a PCR test, if anyone has had COVID in the last 90 days... there is a chance for a positive result still. So if anyone did contract COVID recently, be good to get a doctors note that they are clear now.

I expect Disney going to be turning away a number of guest after this recent Omicron surge.
I suspect that many of those turned away with a non-symptomatic Covid are just that. Recovered Covid that still show the virus.

It’s great for Red Cross because that blood can help others whom are battling the virus.
Just as an FYI if you give blood you get the test free with the special donation of Covid positive (but recovered) blood donation.

Maybe someone else can explain it better for me?

I suspect that many of those turned away with a non-symptomatic Covid are just that. Recovered Covid that still show the virus.

It’s great for Red Cross because that blood can help others whom are battling the virus.
Just as an FYI if you give blood you get the test free with the special donation of Covid positive (but recovered) blood donation.

Maybe someone else can explain it better for me?

This is exactly why anyone cruising would be foolish to not be tested 2 weeks before their cruise, regardless of how they feel. If they do test positive because a prior, asymptomatic exposure, they can get the doctor's letter and be in the clear. I don't understand how anyone can go to the port and be tested for the first time in over a month these days.

This is exactly why anyone cruising would be foolish to not be tested 2 weeks before their cruise, regardless of how they feel. If they do test positive because a prior, asymptomatic exposure, they can get the doctor's letter and be in the clear. I don't understand how anyone can go to the port and be tested for the first time in over a month these days.
If you plan of course. Last minute or soon testing can be difficult to find in some places, like here, with results taking longer to come back than before.

If you plan of course. Last minute or soon testing can be difficult to find in some places, like here, with results taking longer to come back than before.

Definitely have to plan it. Safe Passage only accepts a test taken 11 days prior to departure date, so timing it right before that makes the most sense if it's at all possible.

We are sailing in May. Can someone add some clarification. I am confused regarding the type of test given at the port. It's been mentioned in this thread that the port test is a PCR test. From what I read a rapid PCR test can take at least three hours. How long is the wait at the port from time you are tested until you get your results and are hopefully cleared to sail? Disney site does say on embarkment day everyone will be tested and further states that "This will be the second of two COVID-19 PCR tests required for unvaccinated Guests" Is everyone getting the same test? I am so confused right now.

Safe Passage only accepts a test taken 11 days prior to departure date, so timing it right before that makes the most sense if it's at all possible.

I thought Safe Passage accepted a positive test & doctor’s note 12-90 days before sail date? Or maybe I’m misunderstanding you…

From what I read a rapid PCR test can take at least three hours. How long is the wait at the port from time you are tested until you get your results and are hopefully cleared to sail?

Rapid PCR tests can be processed pretty fast. Based on what I’ve read on these boards they've been taking on average 30-45 minutes. Mine took about 40 minutes in October and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say theirs took more than an hour.

I thought Safe Passage accepted a positive test & doctor’s note 12-90 days before sail date? Or maybe I’m misunderstanding you…

Sorry, yes, the PCR test has to be taken 90 - 11 days prior to your cruise date. I was on the phone with them today because we had a positive test at 11 days (completely asymptomatic) and they confirmed those numbers.

We are sailing in May. Can someone add some clarification. I am confused regarding the type of test given at the port. It's been mentioned in this thread that the port test is a PCR test. From what I read a rapid PCR test can take at least three hours. How long is the wait at the port from time you are tested until you get your results and are hopefully cleared to sail? Disney site does say on embarkment day everyone will be tested and further states that "This will be the second of two COVID-19 PCR tests required for unvaccinated Guests" Is everyone getting the same test? I am so confused right now.

The only people who can sail and be unvaccinated right now are people 4 years and younger. DCL requires vaccinations for everyone 5 and older, no exceptions. For those 4 and younger, the kids need to test 1 -3 days before the cruise as well as at the port. Everyone needs to test at the port in a rapid PCR, which can be performed pretty quick, in 30 -45 minutes with the right equipment.

Just got and recovered from Covid. I had a positive home test. I am vaccinated and boosted and my cruise is two weeks away. What do I need to do to have my best shot to get on?

Just got and recovered from Covid. I had a positive home test. I am vaccinated and boosted and my cruise is two weeks away. What do I need to do to have my best shot to get on?

You need the results of a positive PCR test and a letter from your doctor clearing you for travel.

You need the results of a positive PCR test and a letter from your doctor clearing you for travel.

Right, it can't be a home rapid test result. It has to be a positive test the doctor can verify and clear you for travel after at least 5 days from the day the test was taken.

Do international passengers (Canada) still have to test a few days before the cruise as well as the day of the cruise. We will be in the parks for the week before. We are fully vaccinated and have our boosters. Also do they do covid testing before getting off the ship before heading to the airport, we will be heading home after the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter