Covid vaccine & high risk - hoping to plan our family trip soon.

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Been in hiding for a year & am, hopefully, on my way back to normal (well my normal)

Just got my Pfeizer shot at 10:45 today
Had a brief hotflash within the 15 min, other family members in the same room had nothing.
Few hours in and my toes & fingers got really cold and the cold is expanding under a few blankets so I guess chills are on their way. Other family member has a sore arm and 3rd is very sleepy.

I'm not sad or anything, this is better than getting sick & I'm not alarmed or anything, supposedly feeling something means my body is working. I was warned I wouldn't be one of the asymptomatics if I got sick and so I like my odds with this much better. I'll share how this goes because I was super scared.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with Disney?
Well, one would think that disabled people, like me, who like to go to Disney but who have been putting off booking a trip would probably be more inclined to visit if they felt safe. Personally, I have $1,000 in Disney rewards money because I have been exclusive curbside shopping for a year and this money is just waiting to be spent on a resort.

I don't know CrankyDad, maybe I am the only disabled high risk Disney fan person in the world who is worried and who is getting vaccinated to resume life. Something for me to consider, so thanks. Still, if on the off chance there are other high risk disabled people in the world who are also fans of Disney, well, I thought that maybe those people might be interested that the vaccine is going ok. If I could have found information from people like me on here I would have liked it.

Once I'm OK I am booking a trip so I think that has to do with Disney, see my siggie below, the word hoping is important.

Congrats on getting your covid shot! I know the feeling as we have been in a holding pattern for over a year and we are looking forward to traveling to Disney once we have our 2nd covid shot. Being isolated for so long has worn on me and it will be hard to get back into the social aspect of life but it will be important to do so once the threat has eased.

I'm glad the vaccine is now available to you and you are starting to feel hopeful for a future vacation! So many of us have been stuck with very limited activities for the past year. I, too look forward to planning a future vacation for my family.

I took the title of this thread to be asking if it was a high risk to still go to the parks or something like that after getting the shot - guess I was wrong :)

I got my first (Moderna) vaccine back on March 1, and I am still struggling a little bit, because it feels a little too good to be true - that we could maybe start to plan things like trips again, or just going out in public. I didn't cry at my first vaccine like a lot of people, but I get really emotional thinking about my second one - so I'm bringing tissues for that!

On/about April 1, I will get my next vaccine, and then according to the CDC, two weeks later I will be fully inoculated, and about as "safe" as I can be (still with a mask, of course).

I understand the feeling; after more than 12 months of staying home and taking precautions and wearing masks when I do venture out... it feels almost too good to be true.

I'm the same, I have been so worried and now that 24 hrs passed and I'm feeling ok (don't want to jinx myself) I'm wondering about places to go and things to do. Not going to push it, but maybe after the second shot I can plan for a trip during off peak hours and off peak time of year and a park visit on a nice quiet Tuesday morning LOL.

I got my first (Moderna) vaccine back on March 1, and I am still struggling a little bit, because it feels a little too good to be true - that we could maybe start to plan things like trips again, or just going out in public. I didn't cry at my first vaccine like a lot of people, but I get really emotional thinking about my second one - so I'm bringing tissues for that!

On/about April 1, I will get my next vaccine, and then according to the CDC, two weeks later I will be fully inoculated, and about as "safe" as I can be (still with a mask, of course).

I understand the feeling; after more than 12 months of staying home and taking precautions and wearing masks when I do venture out... it feels almost too good to be true.
I am excited to get my first vaccine on Wednesday, hoping all goes well

Maybe this would be better under the Disabilities Community board? But I can see how this could be important for many people on here.
That's sort of what I thought :)

Congrats on getting your covid shot! I know the feeling as we have been in a holding pattern for over a year and we are looking forward to traveling to Disney once we have our 2nd covid shot. Being isolated for so long has worn on me and it will be hard to get back into the social aspect of life but it will be important to do so once the threat has eased.
Thanks, it's getting to me too. As I sat there in the chair I told the nurse that she is the closest I've been to another human in a year outside of my immediate family & this was not the celebratory end I've been looking for lol

I'm glad the vaccine is now available to you and you are starting to feel hopeful for a future vacation! So many of us have been stuck with very limited activities for the past year. I, too look forward to planning a future vacation for my family.

My family has been so supportive, I want to do something nice. I was thinking an island but getting there would be tricky, with Florida driving is a plan B - I will want a plan B for a while.

I took the title of this thread to be asking if it was a high risk to still go to the parks or something like that after getting the shot - guess I was wrong :)

Well, I don't think my risk is going away, it's always been risky for me to do stuff I guess but I could manage the risk with precautions and so now this too is maybe becoming more manageable as in I think I can see a flickering light at the end of the tunnel.

That's wonderful! I feel the same exact way. I was a bit panicky getting the shot but a day later the relief is so much bigger than my nerves were the day before. I'm not running out anywhere just yet because I'm not dropping my guard the last inch of the last mile but there is no denying that getting the vaccine has caused a monumental improvement for my mood.

I am excited to get my first vaccine on Wednesday, hoping all goes well

Ohhh good luck & yay!

I am getting my second vaccine on April 1 too.

Well, one would think that disabled people, like me, who like to go to Disney but who have been putting off booking a trip would probably be more inclined to visit if they felt safe. Personally, I have $1,000 in Disney rewards money because I have been exclusive curbside shopping for a year and this money is just waiting to be spent on a resort.

I don't know CrankyDad, maybe I am the only disabled high risk Disney fan person in the world who is worried and who is getting vaccinated to resume life. Something for me to consider, so thanks. Still, if on the off chance there are other high risk disabled people in the world who are also fans of Disney, well, I thought that maybe those people might be interested that the vaccine is going ok. If I could have found information from people like me on here I would have liked it.

Once I'm OK I am booking a trip so I think that has to do with Disney, see my siggie below, the word hoping is important.
If you are worried, but you are going i'd recommend double masking!

If you are worried, but you are going i'd recommend double masking!
Hopefully I'll be able to get regular n95 masks by the time I decide, maybe fall when kids are in school, and won't need the doubling part and then prob only in the morning or something. I'm also not the slightest bit bothered by pulling out gloves to board a ride or whatever, been doing that for years when using a shopping cart or on a subway during Flu season, I put on a pair of nitrile then pull knit over them so they aren't obnoxious. Hopefully things will fall into place :)

About the vaccine, so I'm now 48 + hours out and feeling my version of normal. I was so worried and am so relieved, still nervous about #2 but even if I feel crummy it's better than sick so it's full steam ahead.

I was reading that the federal government is thinking masks outside the home may not be necessary by the 4th of July. Who knows if that will be true or if it will be true for Disney parks, but there is hope that things will be more under control. Personally we are comfortable as it is now, but can understand that not everyone is.

Last edited:
... About the vaccine, so I'm now 48 + hours out and feeling my version of normal. I was so worried and am so relieved, still nervous about #2 but even if I feel crummy it's better than sick so it's full steam ahead.
So glad that you got your first dose and are doing well! I know it can be nerve wracking not knowing how your body will respond to something like this. My doctors were concerned, but pretty sure that I would be fine as long as I was very careful. It's been 2 days since my first dose -- so far, so good. Not perfect, but not bad. Fingers crossed for all of us who face health challenges that our second doses go well, too!

Congrats on getting your vaccine!
We've been away from the world for a year, had been planning a disney trip before things shut down. SO, in about 10 days the last of our family will have had their second vaccine dose (two high risk people of five in our house), so we're doing a resort (fort wilderness) only trip 2 weeks after that. We've missed our happy place.
Like you, we weren't comfortable going back until being vaccinated. We're not thrilled with all day mask wearing at the parks, so we'll wait to go back to them.

Hopefully I'll be able to get regular n95 masks by the time I decide, maybe fall when kids are in school, and won't need the doubling part and then prob only in the morning or something. I'm also not the slightest bit bothered by pulling out gloves to board a ride or whatever, been doing that for years when using a shopping cart or on a subway during Flu season, I put on a pair of nitrile then pull knit over them so they aren't obnoxious. Hopefully things will fall into place :)

About the vaccine, so I'm now 48 + hours out and feeling my version of normal. I was so worried and am so relieved, still nervous about #2 but even if I feel crummy it's better than sick so it's full steam ahead.

I can tell you double masking in the parks is not too bad. I was just there last week and double masked the entire week. And I did some long days in 2 masks the whole time. I noticed that there were a fair number people that were double masked like me. I did a disposable mask with a cloth over it. I have been doing that at home too so was not really a big deal to me.

I can tell you double masking in the parks is not too bad. I was just there last week and double masked the entire week. And I did some long days in 2 masks the whole time. I noticed that there were a fair number people that were double masked like me. I did a disposable mask with a cloth over it. I have been doing that at home too so was not really a big deal to me.
If I need to be within the 6ft of another human, like at an unavoidable Dr apt or test of some kind, I double mask on top of my KN95 100% of the time. Personally, I would never willingly risk it, there is no upside to the risk that I can imagine.

Getting ready for my second shot and came back to share that the first mRNA did trigger a bit of a flare but that like most of the symptoms people get from the vaccine things last then are gone in 24 hours, thank goodness, however the autoimmune flare was a week after, so that's different.

I'm sharing because while I did hear about the potential flares being a thing there seems to be nothing reliable out there on the experience itself on people like me so at least now other people can find something... I'm just a person but I'll share.
It is probably good for people and their caregivers to know that people with autoimmune issues may have issues up front like everyone else but they also might experience discomfort lagging a bit behind when they think the issues would happen so if a person is slowing down or seems off in week 2 or 3 it might be this so just continue to take it easy & check in with your Dr.

For me: starting on day 8 I experienced individual symptom flares in the form I normally get, almost one by one but unlike normal flares these would pop up in the afternoon or evening and then be gone the next day, which has been a relief. It was like ripples in a pond where you get one thing, it gets a bit stronger (just enough to make sure I notice) but then just sort of subsides.

I'm doing number 2 this weekend, wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter