Craft Beer Nerds Question - Carrying on 750ml bottles of beer

hamilton23

Mouseketeer
To any of my fellow craft beer nerds out there. A question about your recent experience with carrying on 750 ml bottles of craft beer. I brought four 750ml bottles of beer (2 for me and 2 for my wife) on our Alaskan cruise last summer, but the port in Alaska is not controlled by Disney the same way it is in Florida. Has anyone carried on 750ml bottles of beer (which look just like bottles of wine) or do the employees at the port actually read the bottle and see that it says "beer" vs. "Wine" on the bottle.

I am not trying to "game the system", I just enjoy a nice stout after dinner and would like to share a good bottle with my buddies. It seems rather arbitrary that you can carry on two bottles of wine but not two bottles of beer of the same size and likely even lower ABV than the wine.

I have read the DCL policy and I know exactly what it says...12 oz beers are allowed. I am just wondering how closely they actually police the contents of the bottles when they look like bottles of wine. Thanks in advance for any actual experiences with this process.

Cheers.

Bring some barley wine and really test their alertness. Ive never tried it but I would think you would be okay.

Interested to hear what others might say though.

To any of my fellow craft beer nerds out there. A question about your recent experience with carrying on 750 ml bottles of craft beer. I brought four 750ml bottles of beer (2 for me and 2 for my wife) on our Alaskan cruise last summer, but the port in Alaska is not controlled by Disney the same way it is in Florida. Has anyone carried on 750ml bottles of beer (which look just like bottles of wine) or do the employees at the port actually read the bottle and see that it says "beer" vs. "Wine" on the bottle.

I am not trying to "game the system", I just enjoy a nice stout after dinner and would like to share a good bottle with my buddies. It seems rather arbitrary that you can carry on two bottles of wine but not two bottles of beer of the same size and likely even lower ABV than the wine.

I have read the DCL policy and I know exactly what it says...12 oz beers are allowed. I am just wondering how closely they actually police the contents of the bottles when they look like bottles of wine. Thanks in advance for any actual experiences with this process.

Cheers.

Right, and if you're trying to "game the system" you would lose on that one because a 750ml beer bottle is lower alcohol than a 750ml bottle of wine.

Bring some barley wine and really test their alertness. Ive never tried it but I would think you would be okay.

Interested to hear what others might say though.

It is funny, I thought about bringing some barrel aged barleywines for that exact purpose. Wine is aged in barrels...it says "wine".

Hearing crickets on this one. I guess I will just have to wing it and see how it goes. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that they take it away and give it back to me when I disembark after the cruise.

On a separate note, does anyone know what types of Craft Beer they currently offer on the ships leaving from Port Canaveral? I seem to recall they had Cigar City Jai Alai on the ship. Just curious what people have seen recently. Cheers.

Our last cruise the 2-750 ml bottles of wine we each were allowed to bring were 1L boxes (we had 4) and they did not check our bag at all - I would not worry as you are not trying to bring more in than allowed, just in a different bottle configuration. We decided on boxed wine for the convenience it provided in carrying (toting 4 bottles around between us heavy enough) and storing in the fridge while on-board and were prepared given they called out they being 1L in giving up one box so we only had the 3L allowable between us given they asked or questioned.

Interesting that they allowed boxed wine, but good call. That is way easier to carry on and not worry about it breaking. I am wondering how I am going to navigate around the ship with all the bottles before my room is open to drop off my bag. Oh, the things we do for good beer!

Cheers.

I think it may sometimes depend on how picky the security folks are. There was a couple on my last cruise who were not permitted to bring on a 6 pack of something like cider or hard lemonade (they were not in the same line, so I could not see for sure). The agent told them it would be held and they could pick it up when disembarking. But, others have reported being able to carry on similar beverages. I suspect that you will be fine, but you should also be prepared for it to be confiscated and held for the end of the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter