Crawfish in Savannah

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
We're currently in Savannah & would love to have some good crawfish. Are they currently in season? I've read conflicting articles. Some say it's too early. Others say it's possible, depending on recent weather. If we can get them fresh, where would you recommend we go to get our fill?

It's awfully early, especially that far north. Any you can find will most likely have been brought in from farms in Louisiana, and it has not been a good season; I've been hearing that they are looking really small this year so far. There has been a drought in Louisiana, and that adversely affects the crop. Friends in Lafayette were able to get some boiled last week, but they were *insanely* expensive, about 4X normal price, which would probably discourage restaurants elsewhere from ordering them this early.

(I don't have recommendations, because I don't know Savannah, but I do know crawfish.)

It's awfully early, especially that far north. Any you can find will most likely have been brought in from farms in Louisiana, and it has not been a good season; I've been hearing that they are looking really small this year so far. There has been a drought in Louisiana, and that adversely affects the crop. Friends in Lafayette were able to get some boiled last week, but they were *insanely* expensive, about 4X normal price, which would probably discourage restaurants elsewhere from ordering them this early.

(I don't have recommendations, because I don't know Savannah, but I do know crawfish.)
Thanks for the input. That's too bad, but I thought it would be worth a shot to ask.

That's a shame about crawfish season this year. We are in TN, and there's a market near us who orders sacks. We usually get some at least once in March or April. But whew, it was pricey last year. Really, it's been getting much pricier every year to get them up here.

Thanks for the input. That's too bad, but I thought it would be worth a shot to ask.
It’s still early even down here, but some places usually start having them by Thanksgiving. But, like others have said, due to drought & now cold weather, the season has been delayed. Yesterday I heard a crawfish place tell someone that they won’t have them until March which is unheard of!

That's a shame about crawfish season this year. We are in TN, and there's a market near us who orders sacks. We usually get some at least once in March or April. But whew, it was pricey last year. Really, it's been getting much pricier every year to get them up here.
You might do better asking places down here to ship.

I will be in New Orleans in February and really have my fingers crossed. I will be able to get some. I was in Perdido Key in November and December and was so sad because I knew it wasn't the season.

You might do better asking places down here to ship.
Thanks!, good idea! we might do that again. we used to order from a place in Lafayette, but one year, the order got lost, and it was a big thing, Sometimes the delivery timing was hard to manage, but their crawfish were always good-sized and quality. We'll start keeping eyes on prices.

I will be in New Orleans in February and really have my fingers crossed. I will be able to get some. I was in Perdido Key in November and December and was so sad because I knew it wasn't the season.
You might be able to in Feb. I sure hope so! It needs to warm up here though too!

It’s still early even down here, but some places usually start having them by Thanksgiving. But, like others have said, due to drought & now cold weather, the season has been delayed. Yesterday I heard a crawfish place tell someone that they won’t have them until March which is unheard of!
Hopefully, we'll be back by here in the Spring. We had some large crawfish in Panama City last year early in the year, but I don't remember which month we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter