Creating special trip after loss of husband?

Tggrtoes

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone - haven’t been active in quite a while... DH (43) just passed away after long cancer battle. We honeymooned at WDW and DS11 is begging to go to DL. We’ve hoped to go for last few years but cancer had other plans.

I’m contemplating going over winter break (kiddo can’t miss more school) so maybe 1/2-1/6. We’ve never stayed in property before so considering maybe grand Californian to make special. (If you have thoughts on this, happy to hear too)

Assuming money not issue, what would you do to make trip special? I’m so out of loop on what is going on in park these days. I will read through posts but wantwd to make my own request.

We will (and always do) some character meal...generally we do goofys and plaza inn Minnie and friends.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Staying on site would be special enough for me. I’d probably try to take it easy. Not plan a whole lot. I imagine memories and grief would be present on the trip as well. So, I’d allow room for breaks and time to stop at places in the park you’d like to linger. Just being there would probably help me. Maybe your son needs a change of pace. Something positive.

My dad past away last May and I decided on a solo trip for 3 days beginning of September. Disney is my happy place, so I thought if I want to take a few days off, this is the best place to go. It wasn't. I will spare you the details, but I cut my trip short and left by noon on my second day.

I don't mean to scare you but realize that there will be emotions you normally never had at Disney. Take things slow, and there is nothing wrong with taking a break or sit down and commemorate your husband.

To make it special, is there something the 2 of you love to do together? I would focus on that.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss.
2018-09-16 001.JPG This will give you an idea of on-site room rates for your dates.

GCH is nice because it's so close to the parks.
DLH was our grandkids favorite at that age. Mainly for the pool area.
PPH never seems as busy as the other hotels. We like watching the fireworks from the pool top terrace.
We will use the pool during January and February trips. Coming from the Pacific Northwest, Jan/Feb in SoCal is like our summer weather.
Marris pizza at the pool is a must for my grandkids during every trip.

To make viewing locations easier, booking packages for a prime spot would be nice.
I really enjoy the WOC Dessert Package.

Maxpass for ease of getting FP's and for PhotoPass.

Mark your calendar for the 60 day mark to make dining reservations. I'm sure they go fast during the holidays.

With that time of the year being a busy one, book it and go with the flow.

Geemo

Last edited:

Hi everyone - haven’t been active in quite a while... DH (43) just passed away after long cancer battle. We honeymooned at WDW and DS11 is begging to go to DL. We’ve hoped to go for last few years but cancer had other plans.

I’m contemplating going over winter break (kiddo can’t miss more school) so maybe 1/2-1/6. We’ve never stayed in property before so considering maybe grand Californian to make special. (If you have thoughts on this, happy to hear too)

Assuming money not issue, what would you do to make trip special? I’m so out of loop on what is going on in park these days. I will read through posts but wantwd to make my own request.

We will (and always do) some character meal...generally we do goofys and plaza inn Minnie and friends.

I am so sorry for your loss. (((Big Hugs)))

I think staying at the Grand is a great idea. Perhaps a special in room celebration for your son. Here is the official link; http://disneyland.disneyfloralandgifts.com/category/in-room+celebrations.do

Drawing favorite characters at Animation Academy (Disney California Adventure). They list the times and characters every day.

Ride in the Monorail cones (front and back). Great view! Ask the CM. You might have to wait for the next Monorail, but, in my humble opinion, it is worth it.

Find out what your son wants to do, see, try, and make sure you do a couple of those items every day while you are there.

Wishing you a special, magical trip. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry for your loss, thinking of you at what must be a very difficult time.

As other posters have mentioned, staying on site would be lovely and a real special experience.

Is your son interested in trains at all? The Grand Circle Tour may be on where you get to sit in the beautiful Lilly Belle and hear about the steam trains. If World of Colour is back on perhaps you could do the dessert party which I always highly recommend.

I would also recommend taking some time on Main Street maybe on one of the benches by the Partners statue/Sleeping Beauty castle, taking some time as a family and talking about your good memories of your husband/son’s father so you could remember him on what will be a memorable trip. It would be a lovely setting to do it with the music etc (if it is something you wanted to do, hope it’s not coming across as offensive/pushy.)

I am SO SORRY for your loss.:rose: We stayed at the Grand nine years ago, first and only trip to DL, it was beautiful; we loved the resort and such easy convenient access to everything!:goodvibes
HOPE that you and your DS have a magical trip. Take it easy and try to relax as much as you can; one step at a time.:goodvibes

I was also thinking, I love the idea of staying onsite, but is staying at an expensive hotel something that a 11 year old finds important? Of course you are on this trip too, and your vote is just as important :) But I personally would rather spend the money on something like the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour, is your son interested in these kind of things? It is for all ages.

Or... If you can really splurge it, :) the VIP tour? The room rate for the Grand Floridian - 4*650 = $2,600, the VIP tour starts from $2,550

Last edited:
i'm so sorry for your loss, one of my dear friend just lost her battle with cancer last month, cancer SUCKS!!!!!!

The grand is my families favorite, and we will be there for our 5th stay later this year, we love the location.
if your son is still into characters, we love Plaza Inn or Goofy's kitchen
maybe book a dining package for Fantasmic if it's avil, we did the BB and loved it.
try all the holiday treats!
and just relax and enjoy the time with your DS.

I love that you'll be able to take a special trip with your son after such a loss. I hope the magic of Disney is healing for you both.

Something that we love to do for a little extra magic when go is make our lists, one for food, one for rides, one for activities. I tend to steer these a bit so there isn't too much disappointment if something doesn't get checked off, but it's a fun planning portion that helps build anticipation and it reminds of things we'd been thinking about when we get there and it's crazy. The lists become part of our memories too.

I think at that age a dinner at BB might be really cool and worth it as a extra, maybe even do the Fantasmic dining package.

If it's back up an running, WoC is beautiful, maybe you have seen it? If it's the normal version (not holiday) I would caution you that there is a part about Simba's father. I would hate for that moment to bring up something. You know your son and how well he'd handle things, I just didn't want you to be caught off guard.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss. I also vote for the Grand. The location makes for such an easy vacation. We enjoy staying in the "Disney Bubble" and feel the money is well worth it. While my boys do like the DLH pool better, we all agree that if it is not going to be hot out, GCH is a better choice.

They switched the characters at the Storyteller's breakfast. Maybe look into that character breakfast if you are staying at the Grand. They always have great food. My boys always insist on Goofy's too.

Buy Maxpass, it is well worth the money and you will get the photos too.

I know my 11 year old son loves all things Disney, especially Disneyland history. He would love to do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Maybe that would be something he would enjoy?

My kids are not big fans of the shows/parades. But if they were and money was no object, I would book a dining package for Fantasmic of PTN.

Hope this trip is all that you need it to be.

We go to DLR as a family every other year. This June, we went on our usual trip but without my dear granddaughter, who passed away suddenly at the age of 6. She loved DLR and I cannot say there were not sad moments, but we still had a marvelous time and I hope that you and your son will too. I think it would be a wonderful idea to stay onsite so you can stay in the bubble. And if money is not an issue, then you and your son should do whatever you want to do and eat whatever you want to eat. And take lots of pictures.

You don't lose too much staying offsite (as long as you stay less than a 15 minute walk away). Of course if want to make it "special", GCH is perhaps the most special Disney resort anywhere. It might also be special to stay at a property you've stayed at before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter