Creating Value vs. Transferring Value

DavidNYC

DIS Veteran
I've generally been a defender of Disney on many of the upsells that they have. In broad terms, Disney usually has created experiences that are new and don't really take away from the average guest. Dessert parties, pre-opening and post-closing events, etc. are opportunities that don't depend on taking something away from others. (Yes - you can argue park opening/closing times change but these events are typically happening before/after what are reasonable closing times based on crowds). And although on-site guests do get some benefits - that is a large enough group with enough opportunities at different price levels for that to be more of a brand perk than a financial limiter.

Buying Fastpasses is different. These are finite resources and giving more to one person necessarily means taking them away from someone else. You're transferring a resource from one person to another rather than creating a new resources. This has always been the kind of development I worry about happening on a larger scale and worry that Disney may be moving that way.

To be fair, this initial trial is very limited and based on the eligibility and cost will likely have little to no measurable impact on the average guest. I look at this as basically a budget VIP tour - extra front of line access just without the guide limited to three.

Hopefully - the purchase and allocation of these FP to those who pay will not go much further than this.

I've generally been a defender of Disney on many of the upsells that they have. In broad terms, Disney usually has created experiences that are new and don't really take away from the average guest. Dessert parties, pre-opening and post-closing events, etc. are opportunities that don't depend on taking something away from others. (Yes - you can argue park opening/closing times change but these events are typically happening before/after what are reasonable closing times based on crowds). And although on-site guests do get some benefits - that is a large enough group with enough opportunities at different price levels for that to be more of a brand perk than a financial limiter.

Buying Fastpasses is different. These are finite resources and giving more to one person necessarily means taking them away from someone else. You're transferring a resource from one person to another rather than creating a new resources. This has always been the kind of development I worry about happening on a larger scale and worry that Disney may be moving that way.

To be fair, this initial trial is very limited and based on the eligibility and cost will likely have little to no measurable impact on the average guest. I look at this as basically a budget VIP tour - extra front of line access just without the guide limited to three.

Hopefully - the purchase and allocation of these FP to those who pay will not go much further than this.
To be fair, we have no idea if Disney was holding back FP capacity the past few years, waiting for this opportunity.

First of all, some of the upcharge experiences do take away from the average guest. Dessert parties reserve prime viewing areas that the average guest cannot use, and are only available at cost. The parade viewing party on the riverboat takes an attraction offline, and only a guest that pays can be on the boat.

Secondly, the current FP+ system has given WDW a way to issue additional FP's at any time. AFAIK, there is no hard limit of FP+'s that can be issued for a particular ride over a particular time frame. FP+'s can even be pulled back from MDE if no one captures them. The current FP+ system is fluid in a way that paper FP's never were.

To be fair, we have no idea if Disney was holding back FP capacity the past few years, waiting for this opportunity.
And I suspect a lot go unused. There are many ppl who have no idea how to use the current Fp system. Most times you can easily get a 4th fp & on for most attractions except the obvious ones so the lines for splash for instance wouldn’t be 90 min if everyone knew about it.

Is it different? I'll be upfront and say that I have no idea how the FP system worked from the beginning. However, currently, there is already a tangible FP benefit being given to customers who choose to stay on-site. No one who stays on site is complaining how those that stay off-site are getting the short end of the proverbial FP stick by having to wait 30 more days to book and lose out on the coveted FP. Now, what is the primary reason people stay off-site...cost. So, Disney is 'rewarding' those who choose to pay more by giving them a 30 advantage in FP booking. This, in my opinion, is no different. Disney is rewarding those customers who choose to stay in the club level spots.

Sadly I think this is coming because of the data they have mined from this system. They have a huge pool to statistical data to look at. They know what rides are hit when and they know who does the fast passes. I have explained fast passes to people in my temple until I am blue in the face and most have insisted you have to pay for them or they are to much trouble. But with the magic band and the tap anything they now know how much times you go to your room, which parks and when you go and I am betting they found a nice profitable hole they can make from those of us who are not one and done's. I do know they track the money because a few months ago I had an issue with my account and I was transferred to their actual IT department. They helped me out quickly and during the conversation the girl said to me "Well Mr Hutchinson we like to help everyone but especially you regular customers, she then offered to tell me what I had spent on all 4 of my previous trips together (I don't want to know its scary). She even commented that I only use my Disney Visa card on vacation (that's what I use) and that made it easier. I do not like this because another statistical reality is for every boom there is a bust. One recession and another successful terrorist attack could drop the park numbers back to what they were in the 2002-2006 range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter