Credit card categories for Disney spend

orum

Mouseketeer
This may not be news, but I thought I would drop a note on my experiences on a recent trip to Disney World. This appeared to be the best board to post to, and hopefully, it will help others.

I have a Bank of America credit card that lets me change the category to get 3% on whatever category I choose. In addition, if you are part of their Preferred Rewards program, you can get a bonus on that 3% (up to 5.25%, I think).

Before I made my final vacation payment, I changed my category to travel, which worked great. In addition, I charged everything I could to my MagicBand, and all of that also came through via my resort stay, and also worked great.

What did not go as planned was mobile food ordering. Unfortunately, you can't charge mobile orders to your resort stay, and each of those did not get charged as DisneyWorld/travel, but each came through as the restaurant name/Dining. I realized that after the first day of charges came through, and switched my mobile ordering credit card to one that was better for restaurants.

Dan

So if I'm reading this correctly, for BOA cards, we want Dining for mobile ordering and Travel if using credit card directly at QS/TS kiosks since they will likely code as Walt Disney Travel Co. or something that isn't a restaurant? Or is it Dining for both mobile ordering and direct pay at restaurants.

We recently got the Amex blue cash preferred that has 6% grocery, which is a gateway for almost anything via giftcards, including Disney cards. So we bought some Disney cards and combined them into 2 large ones, 1 for each adult, mainly for G+ and dining. But not sure we will definitely keep it with the $99 annual fee (probably will since Amex doesn't let you back in once you close).

But I always wondered dining vs. travel on the BOA cards. We brought those as well.

So if I'm reading this correctly, for BOA cards, we want Dining for mobile ordering and Travel if using credit card directly at QS/TS kiosks since they will likely code as Walt Disney Travel Co. or something that isn't a restaurant? Or is it Dining for both mobile ordering and direct pay at restaurants.
Dining for mobile ordering and directly at restaurants.

Travel if you charge to your room folio.

We recently got the Amex blue cash preferred that has 6% grocery, which is a gateway for almost anything via giftcards, including Disney cards. So we bought some Disney cards and combined them into 2 large ones, 1 for each adult, mainly for G+ and dining. But not sure we will definitely keep it with the $99 annual fee (probably will since Amex doesn't let you back in once you close).
6% groceries has a cap of $6,000 per year. We hit that easily with just legit groceries (no gift cards or anything like that). If you can hit the $6,000, it's worth the Annual Fee. Nothing else comes close on the Grocery category.

6% groceries has a cap of $6,000 per year. We hit that easily with just legit groceries (no gift cards or anything like that). If you can hit the $6,000, it's worth the Annual Fee. Nothing else comes close on the Grocery category.
I'm not sure if we're odd, but I go to the grocery store nearly every day, sometimes 2-3 per day, and spend less than $200/mo., sometimes $100. But $150 x 12 = $1800, which is still higher than $99 annual fee / 6% = $1,650 min. to spend to make the fee worthwhile I suppose. I could buy some Disney + gas or HD cards occasionally too.

Agree, the grocery reward is rare. There are lots of decent gas or travel cards, not that many that offer large bonuses for grocery. I thought BOA Cash Rewards used to give out 2% for grocery and warehouse like Sams Costco, which works out to up to 3.5% for platinum honors members. I think that's what we did previously. Not sure if it's still 3.5%. We would stack the 3.5% BOA by buying Disney cards at Sams that were about 4% off. Now the Sams gc discount is getting smaller with the smaller denomination providing a little better % off.

Does anyone know how Citibank codes mobile ordering?

Also, how are $ILLs coded? Citibank code for these?

But I always wondered dining vs. travel on the BOA cards. We brought those as well.
We recently got this card as well. I charged the last little bit we owed on our package, around $650, to the card last week and then paid it right off. I figured I might as well get some rewards points, even if it was just 1%. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the app and realized they gave me 3% rewards because the WDW package came through as the "transit" category. i wish I'd had it to charge the whole thing on! I would have paid it right off anyway and racked up some great rewards dollars.

The 3% on gas is pretty good for us as well. My husband drives for work and spends about $400/month on gas

It is, but there are other cards that do 3% on gas with no AF. Without the grocery benefit, there are cheaper ways to access the 3% gas.
I agree. The grocery perk is what got our attention (we will also hit the $6000 easily, plus some), but the gas sealed the deal as an addition. One card. We don't do a lot of credit cards.

We recently got this card as well. I charged the last little bit we owed on our package, around $650, to the card last week and then paid it right off. I figured I might as well get some rewards points, even if it was just 1%. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the app and realized they gave me 3% rewards because the WDW package came through as the "transit" category. i wish I'd had it to charge the whole thing on! I would have paid it right off anyway and racked up some great rewards dollars.
Weird but lucky that a WDW package (without airfare) would be categorized as transit (buses, trains, transport, etc as described by Amex). Wonder if any DPs as room only or restaurant/gift purchases as anything other than 1%. But again, I guess you can buy gift cards if you have room on your $6k grocery cap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter