• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Credit card for direct DVC purchase

SleeplessInTO

DIS Veteran
Hi, I know there’s threads on what cards to use when buying direct from Disney. But I’m not eligible to apply for the ones commonly discussed. Wondering if any fellow Canadians have a credit card readily available to us here that you’d recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, wow! So, there's no Disney Visa for Canadians like we "underlings" enjoy for buying direct?
Not that I’m aware of. Hope I’m wrong though.
With foreign exchange fees added on, it basically cancels out the cash back for most credit cards. Been thinking I should just exchange CAD to USD using Knightsbridge or something similar but thought I’d post here first to see if anyone had a better idea!

I have a Home Trust VISA but just also applied for a Brim MasterCard due to the advice given on this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/brim-or-home-trust-credit-card.3869227/
Neither have foreign transaction fees (good when buying DVC) but I find the Home Trust VISA is unreliable. It is declined frequently when trying to use it abroad even though my balance is at zero and I notified them of my travel plans before leaving so an alternative that is more reliable would be handy.

I have a Home Trust VISA but just also applied for a Brim MasterCard due to the advice given on this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/brim-or-home-trust-credit-card.3869227/
Neither have foreign transaction fees (good when buying DVC) but I find the Home Trust VISA is unreliable. It is declined frequently when trying to use it abroad even though my balance is at zero and I notified them of my travel plans before leaving so an alternative that is more reliable would be handy.
Thanks! Will look into it. I think I used to have a Home Trust card, but the rewards on the foreign purchases dropped so I may have cancelled it. Will research it again and read about Brim too.

Gosh, maybe I'll quit threatening to move to Canada when American politics get too bizarre. Those reward dollars have bought a lot of my Disney pins.

Hope you can find a cc that works well.
Thank you. You're always welcome to move here! Our politics can get bizarre, but somehow way more boring at the same time. :)

Thank you for the information. We're seriously thinking of buying points direct when VGF2 opens up.
I was just planning on sending a transfer but maybe a CC makes more sense - get's us some benefits.
This would be our first direct purchase.

Wondering .... does DVC allow you to place the entire DVC point purchase on your CC?

Also ... are there any restrictions depending on your citizenship?
For example, Canadian's/foreigners max out at $10K vs. US citizens at $25K or something like that? I can't believe it ... but who knows.

Thanks!!

Thank you for the information. We're seriously thinking of buying points direct when VGF2 opens up.
I was just planning on sending a transfer but maybe a CC makes more sense - get's us some benefits.

Wondering .... does DVC allow you to place the entire DVC point purchase on your CC?

For example, Canadian's/foreigners max out at $10K vs. US citizens at $25K or something like that? I can't believe it ... but who knows.

Thanks!!
They will let you put all your purchase on a credit card. In some cases, you can convince them to break up the payments into multiple chunks to fit your credit card billing cycle. No restrictions that I am aware of.

I use the Rogers Mastercard (Platinum) for paying all my US timeshare maintenance fees. It does have a forex, but also offers an increased reward on foreign purchases which more than offsets the forex, so I still get a bit of money back on the transactions.

Hi, I know there’s threads on what cards to use when buying direct from Disney. But I’m not eligible to apply for the ones commonly discussed. Wondering if any fellow Canadians have a credit card readily available to us here that you’d recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I did this in 2021. RBC offers a U.S. credit card through their U.S. Bank side. Qualified for travel rewards. No foreign exchange charge on the transaction.

Thanks!!
I asked my guide and he confirmed he’s willing to split up the purchase into 3 separate payments. 1/3 in Feb, 1/3 in Mar and 1/3 in Apr on my credit card. No limit beyond my credit limit I think although that I didn’t ask.

I use the Rogers Mastercard (Platinum) for paying all my US timeshare maintenance fees. It does have a forex, but also offers an increased reward on foreign purchases which more than offsets the forex, so I still get a bit of money back on the transactions.
I have the Rogers world elite MasterCard. I believe it’s 2.5% for foreign transactions with 3% cash back so it mostly offsets? Although I do wonder if the underlying rate MasterCard gives me isn’t the most favourable so I’m not really getting 0.5% cash back. Will look into the platinum option.

No - you should be able to open at most RBC branches in Canada. It is helpful to have both a US based checking account and credit card.
Good to know, thanks! We have an account with TD in the US. Will see if RBC will let me open one and what their credit card options are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter