Cremating your Pet

As opposed to?

I've lost several pets, some of which were put down. The options from the vet were cremation (communally or separate) or "give you the body back".

I've never asked for the body of my pet back. We did bury one cat in our yard when she died at home. Are other pets were all cremated and included in communal burials.

My parents did it for their first dog and our cat who passed away last year. I'm sure they did it for my moms dog last week since they had to put him down suddenly. So in my family it is.

Is that a common thing?
It is quite common here, particularly if animals are put down at a veterinary surgery. Insurers generally pay for it.
Personally I bury my animals in my field. My beautiful golden retriever, Charlie just two weeks ago. He played there, we spent time there as a family with him and it comforts me to know he is close by. Silly old lady, I know. 👵🐕

We have always done the "cremate them separately" option but never get the ashes back. I have no way to know that they actually cremate them separately, but it just seems a little more respectful than a group cremation.

I had no clue it was even a thing until we put down my parents dog 13 years ago. My parents have the ashes of our childhood dog, while we have the ashes of our beloved German Shepard (passed 9 years ago), and St. Bernard (almost 4 years ago). It's just something we do. Fish always got the toilet/garbage can/backyard burial.

I have had a handful of pets end their lives at both our vet's office and the university veterinary hospital, and in every case it was basically assumed we would do a cremation. So we have a growing stack of decorative memorial boxes of cremains in a storage closet. For my first dog, my whole family actually went and spread his ashes in his favorite lake, but that was a one-time thing for us.

I had my dog cremated, and was asked by the animal hospital if I wanted the ashes back or if they should dispose of them. I couldn't bear that, so I asked for them back. I received a pretty wooden box with the ashes wrapped in a white cloth, the crematory's authentication certificate, a lock of his hair, and a copy of The Rainbow Bridge. It was very touching how they handled it. I added his collar to the box, and added the St. Francis of Assisi medal he wore to the lock on the outside. I lived in the city, and had nowhere to bury him anyway. I keep the ashes here on my desk with a small photo album on top.

Yes it is.

My daughter cremated our dog and his cremains are in a box on our fireplace mantel. I thought she wanted them for her, in her room, but nope came home one day to a box on the mantel.

Our cat we had the vet dispose of the body.

As a child in the 70's, we buried our pets at my grandparents farm or in our own backyard.

As an adult, I have had my pets cremated separately and did opt to receive the ashes. We have scattered them at my parents farm.

The only people I know who do NOT cremate pets are the ones who own 10+ acres and can easily find a quiet spot to bury them on their own property. Everyone else gets them cremated.

Unfortunately none of our recent pups passed away at home peacefully, or they'd be buried under the tree on our farm we picked out. As it is I currently have the cremated remains of one great dane, one boxer and two bulldogs in my bedroom closet. It's been a few years, and just thinking about having to put them under that tree brings me to tears. I know I need to do it, and I'll feel ok about it once I do.
Our boxer was the first of our dogs we got cremated, and I often joke I'm keeping his urn because the one they sent us was so nice, my husband says I should use it for him!

We have had many pets for over the last 40 years. All were cremated, not separately. And I have never requested the remains. I Only have my beloved Corgi left at the moment. He is 13 and very special to me. I may have to save his remains. But I would keep them in a place of honor not in storage.

I guess I was not aware that there was any other option, besides the rare pet cemetery I've seen on occasion. I suppose you could try to bury them in your yard if you have one... not sure if that is legal here as I have never heard of anyone doing it. It seems like it could end badly if you didn't get the body buried deep enough, and it would be a little creepy if you later found the remains when doing a landscape overhaul.

When we've dealt with pet loss in the past, the only options given to us were group cremation or individual, where you get the ashes back in a little container. I always say I'm not going to care about that and do the group one, but when the time comes and I'm emotional... I end up with the jar.

I guess I was not aware that there was any other option, besides the rare pet cemetery I've seen on occasion. I suppose you could try to bury them in your yard if you have one... not sure if that is legal here as I have never heard of anyone doing it. It seems like it could end badly if you didn't get the body buried deep enough, and it would be a little creepy if you later found the remains when doing a landscape overhaul.

When we've dealt with pet loss in the past, the only options given to us were group cremation or individual, where you get the ashes back in a little container. I always say I'm not going to care about that and do the group one, but when the time comes and I'm emotional... I end up with the jar.

We've buried a few horses - obviously NOT cremated - and surprisingly haven't had any issues in terms of anything digging them up. They were out in a open field. But, and I'm trying to be delicate here....often when the horse was discovered to have passed away it had been several hours, and it necessitated the need to dig a really, really deep hole. I can see your point though, if a shallow hole was dug (or any size animal) or proper precautions were not taken -

Of the 5 family (my aunts cats, and brother in laws ferrets) pets that are buried on our current farm, 3 were already cremated. That's where my guys will go once I can let go of their cremains.

I kind of makes me sad that people put their pets cremains in storage closets. Why bother to keep them at all ?

Speaking for MYSELF, I feel like I can keep the cremated remains of my pets where I want.
But since you asked, and seem to find it important, I keep them there because I find it painful to see their urns out in the open, so I keep them in a special box my husband made me that holds their urns, as well as the favorite blanket or toy each one of them loved. When I can bring myself to do it, I'll put them in the plot with the other pets that have passed away.
Their collars I have hanging on their photos, off of the corner of the frame. You can find those in the hall off the foyer, if you feel that is also important info needed to judge what makes you sad about other people or not.
I "bother" to keep them because I loved them so much I can't stand the thought of them not being with me anymore.

All of our dogs were cremated and are on the mantle in decorative boxes.

We had a boarder cremate her horse once and she got the ashed back in a HUGE black garbage bag. Was about $1000 for that ($1/pound).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter