Critique my car rental plan

Callsdodisney

Mouseketeer
Hello all!

We are headed back to Disney in March. The plan is to spend a few days at Disney World (Dolphin) and then head to Clearwater for a few days. Obviously we will need a car to get between the two.

I'd rather not rent a car at MCO. (1) Avoid parking fees, (2) we'd prefer to UBER around Disney anyway, and (3) Southwest changed our flight times so my first day is already getting shorter. I just want to get into an Uber and go.

We are hoping to spend an almost full day at AK on our final day, head to Sanaa for dinner at 5:10, and then hit the road for Clearwater. I'm thinking about renting a car from the Car Care Center that final day, and then my husband can head to the rental counter from dinner while the kids and I go back to the resort to collect our bags and wait for him.

Is there a better option I'm missing? I know there was a rental counter at the Swolphin that's closed right now- that would have been ideal. Maybe there is a better location to rent from closer to Animal Kingdom? Another option I'm not thinking about?

The last time we did Disney we stayed in the bubble and used their transportation exclusively, so this is a new one for me. Thanks for your thoughts!

What I would do is get the rental car the night before (check hours obviously). Pack everything in the morning, check out, take the car to AK, then to dinner, then hit the road.

Yes, there is added cost this way (extra night & parking), but it saves time on departure day.

I looked a at a DCCC drop off a few months ago and they closed I believe at 7PM, so your timeline with dinner then trying to get to the car may be tight, unless hours have changed.

Ok, now I'm really consider just using UBER for the whole trip. It looks like it would be about 1/2 the price of a car rental and parking fees for the trip since we really only need the car 4 times.

I think the hardest thing might be finding someone who wants to drive from Orlando to Clearwater, but it looks like I can set up that leg one month in advance, so perhaps that will ensure we have someone who wants to take us that day? Does anyone have any experience with setting up a ride in advance?

Ok, now I'm really consider just using UBER for the whole trip. It looks like it would be about 1/2 the price of a car rental and parking fees for the trip since we really only need the car 4 times.

I think the hardest thing might be finding someone who wants to drive from Orlando to Clearwater, but it looks like I can set up that leg one month in advance, so perhaps that will ensure we have someone who wants to take us that day? Does anyone have any experience with setting up a ride in advance?
Did that include the cost to Uber from WDW to Clearwater (and presumably back to MCO)?

Yes. The UBER is coming up at $108 (I'm estimating closer to $150- $175 with fluctuation and tip). And we are flying out of Tampa, so we don't need a return trip.

but it looks like I can set up that leg one month in advance, so perhaps that will ensure we have someone who wants to take us that day? Does anyone have any experience with setting up a ride in advance?
Yes, i’m Talking RL at home. One of my DS car was in the shop. He needed very early in the am transport to work. We live in burbs of a large city btw. a long haul, triple the time in rush hour traffic on his way home.

carefully, 2 weeks prior, I individually set up each date needed on the Uber app, figured all was good.

First day was, then the 2nd day, none of their drivers ever showed up.

Was informed they don’t start trying to fill those advance reservations until a couple of days prior to the actual ride date. If no drivers accept it, they cannot honor ‘the reservation’

YMMV no idea how easy it is to grab an uber for that route. Good luck

PS another thing to consider is the number of people & the amount of luggage you have. Many of the standard uber vehicles we’ve ridden in MCO area are what I would consider a compact at best.

If I drop off my rental at the Disney Car Care place, is there transportation from there to get to one of the parks to meet up w/ my family?

If I drop off my rental at the Disney Car Care place, is there transportation from there to get to one of the parks to meet up w/ my family?
They will take you to any of the resorts; I'm not sure if they offer transportation to the parks.

I would have your husband go to CCC from AK a little earlier, meet you all for dinner then drive to Swolphin to pick up everything. This would get you on the road to Clearwater a little earlier as well.

Can you elaborate? What is unsafe about using ME & Uber?
ME is an enclosed space shared by a lot of people at once, and you stay in it for 30 minutes or more. Uber is a small enclosed space that is shared by a lot of people, not at once, but over time throughout the day. Using your own rental car, which can be aired out once when picked up and then which only contains the exhalations of your immediate party, is safer than using shared transportation.

We are headed back to Disney in March. The plan is to spend a few days at Disney World (Dolphin) and then head to Clearwater for a few days. Obviously we will need a car to get between the two.

I'd rather not rent a car at MCO. (1) Avoid parking fees, (2) we'd prefer to UBER around Disney anyway, and (3) Southwest changed our flight times so my first day is already getting shorter. I just want to get into an Uber and go
My husband and I are planning to do this very same thing in June. Looking forward to seeing how this worked for you and the suggestions you are getting!

THIS after seeing how expensive it is to rent a car , Do you mind sharing the cost of the Uber? Also are you flying out of Tampa? We are going to do that instead of going back to MOC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter