• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Critique my DHS evening plan

trouttigger

Mouseketeer
On Sunday, Dec. 20th, we plan to do DHS evening activities.

6:00 Dinner at Boma
Then take bus to DHS, hoping to be there at 7:30
Get in line for 8:30 Fantasmic!
After show, see Osbourne lights.
What to do after that?
11:00 See fireworks.

Is this at all rational? I'm worried that even though this is 2nd Fantasmic show for the evening, we might not get in.

Why are they turning off lights at 10:00 and not doing fireworks until 11:00? What can we do in that hour other than stand around?

(Robo, hoping you will weigh in here.)

TIA,

What to do after that?

Is this at all rational? I'm worried that even though this is 2nd Fantasmic show for the evening, we might not get in.

Why are they turning off lights at 10:00 and not doing fireworks until 11:00? What can we do in that hour other than stand around?

TIA,
Osborne lights are likely to stay on until 11 pm. I talked to a tech person for the lights and he told me that they are planning on leaving them on until 11 pm

What to do after that?

TIA,
I'll be there the same day. Interested in the responses.

What to do after that?

TIA,

Highly unlikely you can get from Boma to HS in that time frame. For starters, you're assuming you'll be seated on time, very often not the case during busy season. You need to allow a full hour for the meal, MAYBE 45 minutes where it's buffet. Then, there's the time it will take to walk out, get on the bus, get to DHS and get through the gates. It's possible if everything goes perfectly, but I would say not likely. I would see if you can move your reservation up even 15 minutes at Boma.

That said, I think even if you were in line by 7:45 for F!, you should be okay as far as able to get seats. But, maybe some others will chime in on this. I may be underestimating the crowds.

Highly unlikely you can get from Boma to HS in that time frame. For starters, you're assuming you'll be seated on time, very often not the case during busy season. You need to allow a full hour for the meal, MAYBE 45 minutes where it's buffet. Then, there's the time it will take to walk out, get on the bus, get to DHS and get through the gates. It's possible if everything goes perfectly, but I would say not likely. I would see if you can move your reservation up even 15 minutes at Boma.

That said, I think even if you were in line by 7:45 for F!, you should be okay as far as able to get seats. But, maybe some others will chime in on this. I may be underestimating the crowds.
I don't think you are underestimating the crowds because most guests will be at the Lights.

What needs to be factored in is the bus gridlock especially at that time of the evening. The OP may not make it into the park until after 8:00 even with an earlier Boma reservation.

For evening plans at DHS, it would be better to have dinner at an Epcot resort and then walk over to DHS. You would reach the park in plenty of time for Fantasmic.

Points well taken, everyone. If we miss Fantasmic!, we miss it. I originally had a 6:15 ressie at Boma but was able to change it to 6:00 yesterday. I will keep looking for an earlier time. Very important to DS that we eat there.

Points well taken, everyone. If we miss Fantasmic!, we miss it. I originally had a 6:15 ressie at Boma but was able to change it to 6:00 yesterday. I will keep looking for an earlier time. Very important to DS that we eat there.

Could you do Boma on a different night altogether? F! is definitely worth it!

No, everything else is also important.
After your Boma dinner, make a pitstop at the restroom because you don't know how long you may be stuck on the bus.

You may even want to consider a taxi/Uber from AKL to Boardwalk Inn or Swan.

After your Boma dinner, make a pitstop at the restroom because you don't know how long you may be stuck on the bus.

You may even want to consider a taxi/Uber from AKL to Boardwalk Inn or Swan.
I second the Uber idea. I think you would save yourself a LOT of aggravation and a LOT of time if you walked to HS from one of the Epcot resorts. It's no more than a 20 miunite walk, and shouldn't cost more than $10.

I don't think your plans are possible during Christmas week with the current traffic insanity around DHS, the likelihood of packed restaurants for Christmas week (slipping reservations, slowing service, etc), and the likelihood of a packed DHS evening.

If Boma is important and can only be that night, I'd look for a 1st dinner seating reservation around 4:30pm...and then I'd do the Uber/taxi plan...

I thought I would report on how all this went yesterday. We drove to AK and arrived at the beginning of EMH, walked right on KS. I was able to move the Boma dining reservation to 5:15. We finished there about 6:30. We drove from AK to AKL. We left the car at AKL and took the bus to DHS leaving car at AKL. Only waited 5 minutes for the bus. No backups in traffic issues. We got into DHS without a line at all, arriving soon after 7. We enjoyed Osbourne lights even though it was very crowded. Then got in Fantasmic! line probably around 7:30 for 8:30 showing. Fantasmic! (2nd showing) was pretty full, but there were still a lot of seats available when it started.

After fireworks, when everyone left, we went quickly to the AKL bus line and got on the 1st one that arrived. No back ups in traffic getting to AKL, and then easily drove to CBR. We were in our room at midnight which I thought was really good.

Thanks to everyone on the DISboards for their ideas.

I thought I would report on how all this went yesterday. We drove to AK and arrived at the beginning of EMH, walked right on KS. I was able to move the Boma dining reservation to 5:15. We finished there about 6:30. We drove from AK to AKL. We left the car at AKL and took the bus to DHS leaving car at AKL. Only waited 5 minutes for the bus. No backups in traffic issues. We got into DHS without a line at all, arriving soon after 7. We enjoyed Osbourne lights even though it was very crowded. Then got in Fantasmic! line probably around 7:30 for 8:30 showing. Fantasmic! (2nd showing) was pretty full, but there were still a lot of seats available when it started.

After fireworks, when everyone left, we went quickly to the AKL bus line and got on the 1st one that arrived. No back ups in traffic getting to AKL, and then easily drove to CBR. We were in our room at midnight which I thought was really good.

Thanks to everyone on the DISboards for their ideas.
Thanks for reporting your success! :) It's great you were able to get the earlier Boma ADR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter