Crock pot crazy

sharbear

DIS Veteran
With things so hetic I have been getting out the crockpot all the time these days. Today I'm trying to make chicken filling for burritos, we'll see if they turn out. I have been using my crockpot about twice a week. My DH has been working a lot of hours and the kids have games and sports activities and the crockpot works out great.

Is anyone else using their crockpot lately? What have you been making? I've made spagetti sauce, shredded beef sandwiches and the normal roasts and chicken and noodles.

Sharbear

Do you cook noodles in your crockpot? I read where they didn't turn out well and have never tried it. If you do, how do you do it?
Thanks!

By the way, turkey breast are GREAT cook in there upside down...very moist! Layer hamburger, potatoes, onion slices and cream of mushroom soup...very good!

:D
Thanks for reminding me that I have a crock pot!

I like to make hot chicken salad in it. You have to use already cooked chicken, but it has cream of chicken soup, celery, almonds, etc.
It is sooooo gooood! My DD and DH could eat almost all of it!

I think I will get out my crockpot cookbook and start planning meals!

Lisajl

I made stew in mine yesterday. The weather is all cold and rainy here and my house smelled awesome. My nephew and DD were like "What smells so good?" when they got home from school. I made my friend who is expecting twins a "crockpot cookbook" b/c her Dr. told her to take it easy. She loved it. I think she has been crock pot cooking everyday! The best part: Only 1 dish to wash!

Candi

Boo hoo hoo! I just broke my crockpot and I am waiting for the one want to buy to go on sale. I really miss mine, used it about once a week.

:D I love my crockpot!!!

Seems like I use mine all the time, but it's probably about 2 (sometimes 3) times a week. I make all sorts of dishes...

Stew, soup, roast beef, chicken, chili, beans (I love 15 bean soup with kiebalsa) ....

Made roast beef, with onions, potatos and carrots yesterday. Going to make a nice stew with the leftovers tomorrow!

So nice to be able to do errands and have dinner waiting when you return! Gotta love it. :)

Annemarie

Ok, so .... for us inexperienced crockpot-ers.... :D Can you share some of your favorite recipes?? Please???!?!?

Well, I usually do my roast like this: (It's really easy!)

I place the roast in the crockpot, put an envelope of Lipton Recipe Secrets, Beefy Onion --- (Recipe soup mix) over the roast. Add potatoes and carrots (sometimes I'll add green beans or peas.) I use whatever is on hand. Sometimes I use fresh produce or canned it doesn't really matter, it always turns out great. :D I add about about a cup & 1/2 of water give or take, (Depends on if I use canned veggies --- then I'll use some of the liquid from that.) If it's a large roast I'll put the crockpot on high for about 3-4 hours, then turn the temp down to low for another 3-4 hours or so.

I use the leftover beef for BBQ (Shred some and marinade in BBQ sauce for at least 3-4 hours prior to heating).Or I'll make a stew or soup by dicing the meat, adding veggies, & adding beef broth (or the liquid from the roast earlier) or tomatoes (depends on if it's a stew or soup you want), sometimes I'll add alittle diced onion and let it simmer in the crockpot. It's fun to play around and experiment. I always add a little of this and alittle of that.

For chili:

I brown about a pound of hamburger (---sometimes I'll add green pepper and onion to the hamburger as it cooks-- that's if I don't use the Chili Tomato Sauce) , drain and put in the crockpot. I add 1 can (about 14 oz) of Hunts Chili Tomato sauce, then I add 1 can of Hunts Diced Tomato, with Basil, Garlic and Oregano (I love that stuff!), and I add one can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed). Set the crockpot on low and let it cook for about 8 hours. I like to serve it in a bowl with Fritos and sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.

If there are leftovers I have it later in the week over a baked potato with the sour cream and shredded cheese. Or maybe I'll use it for Tacos, or over noodles.

I love the crockpot because it frees me up to do other things.

That's a start!
Annemarie

I made beef stew this week. At noon, I put stew meat in the bottom with a chopped onion and some sliced celery. (Dry onion soup works great, too!) Then I covered the meat with some water. I simmered the meat all afternoon. Then I added chunks of potato and carrot after the kids came home from school. Close to dinner, I added some pre-cooked pasta that I had leftover. Right before serving, I added a little more than a cup of fat free sour cream. I stirred it around until it melted.

My family doesn't really like soups and stews very much, but this one is a favorite. The sour cream is the key ingredient. It thickens the broth and makes it taste wonderful. Add salt and pepper to taste. Just add some warm bread from the bread machine and you have a great fall meal, in my opinion.

Hi MerryPoppins! Thanks for the tip on sour cream! I'm making a stew right now and I'll add some later today. :D

I love these boards. I learn something new all the time.

CJMickeyMouse, for more crockpot recipes (and other) check out www.recipezaar.com . It's my new favorite recipe website.
:D

Annemarie

annemariec, don't put it in until you are ready to eat. You don't want it to cook with the stew. Add it at the last minute, after you have turned off the pot, stirring to melt it. Your family will love it. My teenager scraped the crockpot clean. He ate 3 big bowls!

MerryPoppins, thanks. That's what I'll do. I wanted a way to give it a little different taste. Sometimes you want something a little different. Always looking for tips and tricks.

I won't have time for the bread machine today. Gonna bake some of the Pillsbury Cheddar and Garlic biscuits to go with it. (Love them!)

Thanks again!
Annemarie

MerryPoppins, just wanted you to know adding sour cream to the stew was a hit for dinner! Thanks! It made it creamy and rich. Especially good for a cool, rainy evening. :D

My husband said, "This is great, what did you do differently??"

Right now I have the crockpot on low with some water and dish detergent. It really helps to loosen up the cooked on stuff. I keep it on for about half and hour or so and turn it off. Clean up is a breeze that way.

Annemarie

Glad they liked it. Tastes like a lot more work than it is!

I like the tip on cleaning up. Seems to always be dry and crusty by the time we finish the meal. I'll have to try that.

We always add sour cream to our Green Chile Stew and it's wonderful.

Love the cleaning tip, I'll have to try that!

Candi

I'm no great cook, but I've been inspired by all the crockpot posts, and I've used mine quite a lot the last few weeks. Mostly I use a jar of sauce, with either chicken or sausages - even though it's ready made sauce, it's still so nice to come in from work and smell something cooking. We have been eating much earlier too, which is great for my dd as it means she gets to bed ontime.

The last one we did was chicken curry -and it was delicious - I just made the rice when I got in and dinner was ready when the rice was done.

Bev

We love a sunday roast chicken!

But even better are the leftovers -- chicken sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches.

Weekly, I take chicken breasts (skin on) and cook in my crock pot, and its great. Just like the sunday leftovers.

Pour veggie oil in the crockpot, enough to cover bottom.
add chunks of white onion, carrots and celery.
Place washed chicken on top.
Add salt, pepper.
Add water, to cover chicken.
Put on high until cooked.

Enjoy!

...I'm going to print them off now! I would love to hear more of your favorites... (I am not a cook, so I'm trying to learn the 'easy' way! ;) )

I have a book on crock pot cooking, but haven't tried anything. I may post a few of the recipes if anyone is interested.

Happy Friday!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Thanks for the great ideas! And the great cleaning tip! :)

I love my crock pot! I made Beef Stroganoff in it the other day. Yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter