• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crock pots?

dhluvsDisney

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else wish they had crockpots in the DVCs. They are pretty inexpensive nowadays, and I believe fairly safe. Do you think it's a potential safety issue that they don't have them? I would really love to have one while I'm there. They are so handy, and I'm not a fan of using a timer on the ovens (so I don't do that).

Any thoughts?

I think it is at least partly a safety issue. Someone puts the crockpot on in the morning, expecting to be back in the unit for dinner, then decides to spend the eveing in the park instead...asking for trouble IMO.

Members could do a crock pot swap much like the xmas tree issue.

I bring my own, along with a liner. Works great!

If you are in a disposable mood you can pick up a cheap one at Wal-Mart. A swap is a great idea though!

Fire risk and not fair to put anyone else in danger. Crock Pot yourself crazy when your home not in the villas.

Crock pots are not a fire hazard, no more than the coffee pots or the dryers are.:confused3 But I would suggest getting an Owner's Locker when they start up for the public, and buy a crock pot to leave there. Myself, I don't cook while in Florida, otherwise it's not a vacation for me.:laundy:

An inexpensive crock pot from WalMart is going into my Owner's Locker as soon as we get back to WDW in April. We love having dinner waiting for us when we get back from the parks!

The aroma will permeate throughout the halls. While this may be appetizing to some, it may be annoying to others. I know that some cooking it going to create smells but the crock-pot may emit these smells/aromas for extended times. Not to sure it is a good idea.

I could not imagine using a crock pot in FL. My kitchen is larger than the kitchen/living room unit at DVC. Last summer, At home, I used a crock pot and I will never do it again. Even though it was cool in the rest of the house, my kitchen was very hot and humid. I would not walk in to a hot room after a day in the parks for all the slow cooked goodness in the world.

Since we drive, we always take a crock pot. Nothing better than having dinner ready when getting back from the parks. Though when we are staying in a studio we don't bring it. When staying in a studio, we do the dining plan.

Crock pots are not a fire hazard, no more than the coffee pots or the dryers are.:confused3 But I would suggest getting an Owner's Locker when they start up for the public, and buy a crock pot to leave there. Myself, I don't cook while in Florida, otherwise it's not a vacation for me.:laundy:

Coffe Pots, toasters and hair dryers are not left on while your at the parks fact is they should be unpluged when not in use. While most people can and do use a crock pot safely there are some that will not. Not to mention your wonderful slow cooked meal may STINK to some. Though not a health issue like smoking it can be just as annoying. Many people love the smell of bacon frying to me it's burning pig fat, horrible smell. In my opinion leave the crack pots at home at home.

we've been getting the DP too but i understand if you're not and want to cook that it would be nice to have the stew or something ready when you return. don't they have auto shut off ones now? ones you can set to turn off 2, 4 or 6 hours.

i'm sure i've seen them somewhere.

if that's the case and you are going to bring one anyways i'd suggest getting one of those and setting it for 6 hours. even if you come back 6 hours later the most you'll have to do is turn it back on for 30 - 45 minutes to heat the food back up again. time for everyone to have a shower and get the rest of the dinner and table ready.:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2
Me too!
We don't keep ANY food in the room...not even snacks.
With the dining plan, we have more than enough!! :)
Not even wine and cheese? :eek: I agree though we do NO COOKING DW would either laugh or kill me if I suggested we eat in the room. Not a chance I'm willing to take.:scared:

i can also understand not everyone wanted or liking the smells of someones dinner but really it's no different then condo's or being there with the oven one for 4 hours - if your staying somewhere where they have full kitchens and expect people to cook dinner - those smells are going to get into the hall - i think you expect that when staying in a condo type room.

i think i would just try to respect my neighbours by putting the exhaust fan on low and let that carry a lot of the scent away before it gets into the hall.

This whole thing about scents being annoying sounds a little bit silly to me. After all, there are full kitchens in the 1 and 2 BR's for a reason....so people can cook if they choose to! And when you cook, there are going to be aromas that will escape under the door. It's just part of the deal you get when you become a DVC member. You may occasionally smell your neighbor's bacon or lasagna cooking. Get over it!

As far as the crock pot goes, I have used one once at DVC. I use them all the time at home, and have never looked at them as a fire hazard. Unlike a coffee maker or curling iron, they are made to stay on for an extended length of time, so I would think they should be safe.

When I think about cooking odors, I think about Richyams and his pigs feet. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter