• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crocs Rx

Juliah

DIS Veteran
My DD discovered recently that the popular Crocs shoes come in two styles that are designed for people with foot problems. The Cloud is supposed to provide protection for people with circulatory and sensory issues, i.e. diabetes. The Relief is for conditions like bunions, heel pain, etc.

I would love to know if someone has tried these shoes and what you think of them. I'd especially like to know if the bed of the Relief style is softer than a regular Croc. Even after two foot surgeries (for club foot and other issues), it's nearly impossible to find shoes for DD because her foot is very thick (tall), but she can actually fit in Crocs and the knockoffs from Payless. The problem is that when she tried wearing the Payless version for a few hours, her heel hurt, and it looked like she might get a pressure sore on her heel from prolonged wear (she has gotten pressure sores in the past from shoes). If the Relief is even softer than a regular Croc, it might actually work for her.

If you want to look at the Cloud and the Relief, go to: www.crocsrx.com

BTW, these two styles are each $10 more per pair than the standard ones.

Thanks!

I'm only responding because I had a problem with my crocs - for extended wear at least. I don't have foot problems as you mentioned your daughter has however.

I do wear Crocs around the house and on errands and love them. I brought a couple of pair with me to disneyworld last year on one of our trips. We were walking over to the park for a few hours so I wore them there and after an hour or two I noticed that both my feet had started going numb in spots! It was, sort of like you mention, pressure on part of the foot near the toes. It got to be painful so I couldn't wait to get them off! (I did bring other shoes so no problems once we got back to the room!). I still have problems wearing them for extended periods of walking.

The Crocs almost seemed TOO squishy and soft. My husband has a pair of regular Crocs and never wore them - he has Plantars trouble with his feet. He finally got inserts for his shoes and found that with the (really hard) inserts stuck in the crocs that it works very well for him - some combination of squishy and hard. So go figure.

Are the shoes returnable? I think the only way to know if they'll work is to really wear them for many hours - not something you can do in a store!

Good luck :goodvibes

I looked at the link provided by the OP and find it interesting that the Crocs company has these 2 versions marketed toward those with diabetes (like myself) and general podiatry concerns (like myself). I thought the versions shown looked an awful lot like versions of Crocs already on their site, but that are listed under the regular footwear section. See for yourself...

Here's the link for the Crocs Chubb, which looks just like the Cloud...

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-29-4-chubb...=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

Here's the link for the Crocs Professional, which looks like the Relief...

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-23-4-profe...=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

The only difference I can see is the styling around the ankle portion of the top of the shoe and the Chubb version costs only $29.99, while the Cloud and Relief both cost $39.99. I guess I'd have to actually try them on to see if there is more of a difference.

Now, don't get me wrong...I am not knocking the Crocs! Heck no! :love: I am CROChead...gotta get a fix every so often...just bought another pair of the Beach style after already owning 3, a pair of Niles, a pair of Scutes and 2 pairs of Holey Soles (the Canadian version.) So, I'm a firm believer and supporter of the product. I just find it interesting that the company has added these version geared toward diabetics and podiatry patients when they already have similar versions. I'm really curious to know if the actual foot bed is that different... :confused3 and what else might be so different about the CrocRx styles.

Okay, well, I've said my piece and then some...just find it interesting and am now curiouser and curiouser....:scratchin

momsgoofy,

Good catch! I hadn't noticed that the Chubb and Professional look so similar to the Cloud and the Relief. Like you, it makes me wonder even more if the footbed is really any different on the two RX styles than the regular line of Crocs.

Actually if you look at the heat portion you can see that there is a slight difference. But you are right is ther a bigger difference with the soles. I have plantar-fasciitis and the3 crocs work great but I might try a pair of these new ones to see if there is a differece since long term in my crocs do start to hurt my feet after a long day at work.

pugdog...great eye! I do see now that the Cloud heel is slightly taller than the Chubb, so maybe that does something to help diabetic foot problems. I still can't tell any difference though between the Relief and the Professional other than the detailing around the top of the shoe. IF there is really a difference between the CrocRx and the regular Crocs, then...hum? I just might have to invest in the CrocRx. I just have it so ingrained in my brain, thanks to my mom, to always try on shoes before I buy them, which is why I won't order my Crocs online. I know with the Crocs that I've purchased so far and because of my mis-shapen feet due to all of my podiatry issues, that I can try on 1 pair and one foot might feel good, but the other doesn't, so I keep trying one of each until I find a perfect pair. I guess I know what I"m checking into when I visit my best Croc supplier...see, told you I'm a Crochead...I need to find if they will carry the CrocRx...they carry every other style except the Geordie boot.

If anyone has the CrocRx and the regular Crocs, I'd be interested to know your comparison.

I signed up as a provider and can get people 10% off each pair with my provider number. And will be buying a pair in the next couple of weeks to try them out. But first I'm going to see if Crocs Mall of America store carries them.

Since I'm already starting to experience neuropathy in my big toes, I think I would like to try a pair of the Croc's Clouds. I wear a 91/2 shoe so what size would I need? An 8-9 doesn't seem big enough but a 10-11 seems really too big. Do they run small or large? Are there any 9 1/2 gals out there who wear crocs? paw:

Glad to see differences are being spotted. I feel that the Crocs company is reliable and honest - so would hate to see they might represent something.

In my mind I see Crocs as the Ben and Jerry's of shoes!

ps - - You should try some on - - I think they suggest you go to the larger size. I think you might want a 10.

Has anyone compared another brand of croc type shoes with Croc's? I bought a pair of Sketcher "croc's" yesterday at Goody's because they were on sale for 9.99. I'm going to wear them about a bit and see if I like them before going with the real Croc's. It's going to take some getting used to, they make my feet look huge! :boat:

Comparison with other croc type shoes. I've heard some ladies at the gym say, they liked thier off-brand crocs just fine, and loved to wear them all the time, and so they never spent the money to get the real ones.

I've heard other people say, they love thier crocs, and the fake ones aren't as comfortable.

I've got a pair of crocs, I have feet problems, and they do aggrivate my foot issues. The main reason for my purchase was for in the shower at the gym. I about wiped out in my regular flip flops a couple of weeks ago, since the floor gets slippy, but the crocs don't slip on the tile floor at my gym shower. They work fine for that and don't bother my feet. I won't wear them for an extended period since they aggrivate my feet.

I think everyone's feet are a little different and you just have to try them out to see if you like them.

Connie

One thing to keep in mind is that not all the knockoffs are the same. My DD has both the real Crocs and the ones from Payless. I just went and looked at them and checked to see what the foam feels like in each. It *seems* to be identical in how soft it is. On the other hand, the ones I saw at Target were not soft at all; they only *looked* like the Crocs.

For the person asking about size, there's been a lot of chatter on other parts of disboards about heating Crocs to customize the fit by putting them in the dryer on low for a few minutes, then wearing them while warm to stretch them out. Can't remember if anyone was successful in shrinking them. I can't vouch for this from personal experience, but perhaps this would help you get the right fit despite the fact that the Crocs only come in full sizes??

I had a triple arthrodesis (fusion) done to my right foot last April. This was followed by an achilles tendon lengthening last July, and a repair of that surgery two days ago. I've had several other surgeries on my foot/leg. I have plates, rods, screws, etc. I was so happy when I found the crocs last fall! I had them on at one of my orthopaedic appts. and my ortho. told me I was not to wear them at all! He said he had several patients to have screws break because of the lack of support in the crocs. Granted, my foot problem is not the norm, and they maybe fine for people with other foot issues. Just be sure to check with your dr. before ordering/buying them.

My DH got a pair of Crocs and liked them very much, but can't wear them for walking for as long a period of time as he thought he would be able to. One of the things I pointed out to him that he hadn't thought about was that the original people who used Crocs were surgeons/surgical personnel. They are wearing them for many hours at a time, but most of the time is standing in one place. So, there might be people who do well with Crocs if they were standing still, but don't find them supportive enough for walking around.

When this thread was first active, I wrote an email to Crocs asking about the differences between some of the Rx styles and the regular styles that look similar. I'd given up hearing back, then got an email today--three months later!

Here's what I asked, followed by what they answered:

Could you please tell me the difference between the Crocs Rx Relief and
the Crocs Professional? I'm especially interested in knowing if the
footbed is softer or more flexible in one or the other.

I would also like to know the difference between the Rx Cloud and the
Chubb, which look similar.

Thank you very much.

Julia

-------------------------

Here are some comparisons in answer to your question:

Crocs Rx versus Crocs Retail -

Why is the Relief shoe Rx and the Professional and Endeavor not?

All three shoes are very comfortable and offer the combination of a
soft
inner sole and a protective, smooth upper.

The Endeavor has no port holes laterally, making it ideal for certain
weather conditions and laboratory requirements, but not ideal as a
podiatric shoe. The lack of breath ability in the toe area can result
in heat retention and the accumulation of perspiration. A patient
recovering from surgery or with other skin sensitivities would not do
well to wear a shoe which retains heat and moisture, creating a
potentially infectious environment. It may be noted that the lack of
side portals in the shoe allows production of the Endeavor to be
slightly more economical, resulting in a slightly lower price that the
other two models.

Both the Professional and Endeavor shoes have stiffer, heavier uppers
which do not flex as naturally and easily as the upper on the Relief.
The thin, light upper of the Relief is designed to flex naturally with
the "toe-break" of the patient without creating any pressure points or
pinching creases, which are possible with the stiffer Professional and
Endeavor shoes.

In addition to a stiffer, heavier upper, the Professional also
incorporates larger, more prominent nubs on the inside sole. These
prominent nubs, which are stimulating and soothing to healthy feet are
frequently an irritation to those suffering from painful arches, heel
bruises or plantar fasciitis.

The Relief shoe features low-profile, softened nubs which provide shock
absorption without irritation. This combined with the light, flexible
upper, the airflow side portals and soft bottom sole make the Relief
ideal for many podiatric, arthritic and post-operative conditions.

Why is the Cloud Rx ideal for diabetic, neuropathic feet, whereas the
other Crocs Retail shoes are not?
The Motion shoe has prominent, stiffer nubs in foot bed and provides no
heel protection The Cayman leaves the heel and toes vulnerable to
injury
and has prominent nubs The Off Road provides no heel protection The
Islander provides no toe protection and the leather upper may cause
irritation

The Cloud Rx shoe by Crocs employs a combination of special features
which make the shoe ideal for the diabetic foot condition. No other
shoe in the Crocs line is adequate for the impairment in
circulation/sensation which may occur with diabetic feet.
* Protective toe cap protects the front of the foot and prevents
toe stubbing
* Elevated heel rim in back keeps shoe from sliding off and
protects heel from bruising
* Softened inner sole with no raised nubs provides ultimate soft
cushion for foot bottom
* Softer, more giving formulation reduces friction and prevents
blistering and chaffing
* Silver impregnation in Silver Cloud Rx creates anti-bacterial,
anti-fungal and ideal wound prevention environment for feet susceptible
to breakdown, ulcers or infection.

Hope that helps! Thank you for your interest. CrocsRx

Wow Juliah,

Crocs did a great job explaining all that.

I have had plantar fasciaitis about 15 yrs. ago and know the pain that can cause. I then got bilateral heel spurs from the orthotics. :rolleyes:

I am fine now, thankfully, after having the heel spurs injected twice. It did the trick and I know that is not always the case. I try to always wear a comfortable shoe, for me, and Crocs are it.

I wear the beach with the heel strap up over the arch. I can wear it down but find it more comfortable. I also wear socks, usually the light weight ones that come to the ankle.

I have a pair of the aspen that I bought in a smaller size. I am 8-8.5 and my first were 9's. I have lots of room. In the aspen size 8's I can only wear thinner socks but I like them. I would buy the next larger size next time. I hope this helps anyone who is asking about sizing. Also, I find putting the heel strap down on the aspen to cause my toes to be pushed in too far and rub. So, they are fine for strapless wear.

I live in my crocs. I have arthritis and possibly lupus (will know dx soon) so can't do much walking but what I do is far better in a pair of crocs.

Typing an appropriate search term led me to this post, and boy am I glad I found it. Your reply from crocs completely answered my question about the difference between Relief, Professional and Caymans. I was having trouble deciding which would be best for my weekend job when I'm on my feet. My Clarks are okay, my K-Swiss sneakers are not. I'm hoping a pair of crocs will reduce the knee, hip and back pain after a few hours on my feet walking across a carpeted concrete slab. I think I'm going with the Relief after all. I"ve tried the Beach and didn't like the nubs, and I like that the Relief is supposed to be more flexible. Thanks for posting your response.

Juliah said:
When this thread was first active, I wrote an email to Crocs asking about the differences between some of the Rx styles and the regular styles that look similar. I'd given up hearing back, then got an email today--three months later!

Here's what I asked, followed by what they answered:

Could you please tell me the difference between the Crocs Rx Relief and
the Crocs Professional? I'm especially interested in knowing if the
footbed is softer or more flexible in one or the other.

I would also like to know the difference between the Rx Cloud and the
Chubb, which look similar.

Thank you very much.

Julia

-------------------------

Here are some comparisons in answer to your question:

Crocs Rx versus Crocs Retail -

Why is the Relief shoe Rx and the Professional and Endeavor not?

All three shoes are very comfortable and offer the combination of a
soft
inner sole and a protective, smooth upper.

The Endeavor has no port holes laterally, making it ideal for certain
weather conditions and laboratory requirements, but not ideal as a
podiatric shoe. The lack of breath ability in the toe area can result
in heat retention and the accumulation of perspiration. A patient
recovering from surgery or with other skin sensitivities would not do
well to wear a shoe which retains heat and moisture, creating a
potentially infectious environment. It may be noted that the lack of
side portals in the shoe allows production of the Endeavor to be
slightly more economical, resulting in a slightly lower price that the
other two models.

Both the Professional and Endeavor shoes have stiffer, heavier uppers
which do not flex as naturally and easily as the upper on the Relief.
The thin, light upper of the Relief is designed to flex naturally with
the "toe-break" of the patient without creating any pressure points or
pinching creases, which are possible with the stiffer Professional and
Endeavor shoes.

In addition to a stiffer, heavier upper, the Professional also
incorporates larger, more prominent nubs on the inside sole. These
prominent nubs, which are stimulating and soothing to healthy feet are
frequently an irritation to those suffering from painful arches, heel
bruises or plantar fasciitis.

The Relief shoe features low-profile, softened nubs which provide shock
absorption without irritation. This combined with the light, flexible
upper, the airflow side portals and soft bottom sole make the Relief
ideal for many podiatric, arthritic and post-operative conditions.

Why is the Cloud Rx ideal for diabetic, neuropathic feet, whereas the
other Crocs Retail shoes are not?
The Motion shoe has prominent, stiffer nubs in foot bed and provides no
heel protection The Cayman leaves the heel and toes vulnerable to
injury
and has prominent nubs The Off Road provides no heel protection The
Islander provides no toe protection and the leather upper may cause
irritation

The Cloud Rx shoe by Crocs employs a combination of special features
which make the shoe ideal for the diabetic foot condition. No other
shoe in the Crocs line is adequate for the impairment in
circulation/sensation which may occur with diabetic feet.
* Protective toe cap protects the front of the foot and prevents
toe stubbing
* Elevated heel rim in back keeps shoe from sliding off and
protects heel from bruising
* Softened inner sole with no raised nubs provides ultimate soft
cushion for foot bottom
* Softer, more giving formulation reduces friction and prevents
blistering and chaffing
* Silver impregnation in Silver Cloud Rx creates anti-bacterial,
anti-fungal and ideal wound prevention environment for feet susceptible
to breakdown, ulcers or infection.

Hope that helps! Thank you for your interest. CrocsRx

Any suggestions on where to try them on-- I hate to order a shoe on line?

I have diabetes and plantar fascitis. I always wear sneakers and inserts and I was doing great ! However I wore flip flops from the pool to the ocean -- and it flared up. Been treating it since June and it is finally improving after months of stretching, night splints, icing, and celebrex!

Crocs at least might be helpful when I am at the beach.
I tried an off brand and they seemed flimsy and offered no support.
I was also between sizes with the six tight and the seven too loose!

Linda

answering my own question

Went to the Concord Mill mall today and tried on the beach and professional.
The professional was too wide for me-- I tried on a 6 beach and another style 6 and they were also were wide. However the 6-7 small beach was narrower and offered more support. Like someone else mentioned another in this same exact size wasn't as "fitting" as the pair I bought -- so I am glad I didn't buy on line. If I tolerate these may try to find the rx too in the future.
At this point plan to use at them at the beach, WDW pool in a few weeks, for a quick walk to the mail box, or around the house. My inserts and new balance sneakers have helped so much that I wouldn't chance getting the plantar fascitis flaring up again!

Linda

Have you tried Birkenstocks? I have plantar fascitis & this is the only thing that works for me. I've spent a fortune seeing podiatrists & for special-made orthotics that always hurt. The Birkenstocks cork insole molds to your feet. They are the only thing I can do DW in! Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter