• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

It is extremely unprofessional for that cast member to go on a rant about something happening on TikTok. Frankly I hate TikTok for many reasons but this cast member dwelling on it is completely wrong. I would report her. She needs talking to.

Second of all, many people are reporting the online interview process is completely focused on autism. I think cast members who run this are highly trained on autism issues and not on many other issues. So they become extremely suspicious of any other condition.

I have never used the online system. I always go to the park and talk to guest relations in person. It's much easier for me to explain my needs and for them to understand them. I have not had a problem since doing that.

The friends who has IBS and request a pass for the same reason. Or at least many of the same reasons. She does not have issues. You just got a very bad cast member experience. Don't let it ruin your trip.

Cast members in general are wonderful but sometimes you get that oddball. That's what training is for.

As for a TikTok trend of people claiming IBS. You knew this was going to happen. We all knew this was going to happen. As soon as the program came out and people realized DAS was going to give you a free option to do many of the same things, they were going to find ways to cheat the system. Unfortunately HIPPA does not allow Disney to require any documentation to prove disability. No doctor's notes. Nothing that would actually validate the request.
HIPAA has nothing to do with it. That only applies to health care providers and similar entities disclosing medical information. There is no prohibition on you disclosing your own.

Disney doesn’t request medical documentation for a variety of reasons, but HIPAA isn’t one of them.

It is extremely unprofessional for that cast member to go on a rant about something happening on TikTok. Frankly I hate TikTok for many reasons but this cast member dwelling on it is completely wrong. I would report her. She needs talking to.

Second of all, many people are reporting the online interview process is completely focused on autism. I think cast members who run this are highly trained on autism issues and not on many other issues. So they become extremely suspicious of any other condition.

I have never used the online system. I always go to the park and talk to guest relations in person. It's much easier for me to explain my needs and for them to understand them. I have not had a problem since doing that.

The friends who has IBS and request a pass for the same reason. Or at least many of the same reasons. She does not have issues. You just got a very bad cast member experience. Don't let it ruin your trip.

Cast members in general are wonderful but sometimes you get that oddball. That's what training is for.

As for a TikTok trend of people claiming IBS. You knew this was going to happen. We all knew this was going to happen. As soon as the program came out and people realized DAS was going to give you a free option to do many of the same things, they were going to find ways to cheat the system. Unfortunately HIPPA does not allow Disney to require any documentation to prove disability. No doctor's notes. Nothing that would actually validate the request.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with HIPAA, as HIPAA regulates what medical professionals can disclose. It’s because the ADA doesn’t allow businesses to ask for proof in order to provide access to those with disabilities.

HIPAA has nothing to do with it. That only applies to health care providers and similar entities disclosing medical information. There is no prohibition on you disclosing your own.

Disney doesn’t request medical documentation for a variety of reasons, but HIPAA isn’t one of them.
100% this.

but what is a doctor note if not disclosing medical information?

Since I last checked in on this thread I've heard stories from two other people saying they were denied because the CM told them they could have someone save a place in line for them. WTH are they thinking?
The line saving thing is legit bananas. I think I would just start laughing if anyone at all suggested that a solution.

If you hand over the note, then you’re disclosing it, not the doctor. HIPAA doesn’t allow medical professionals to disclose your medical info without your permission. If you hand over the note that you asked the doctor to provide, then you’ve obviously given permission to disclose the information.

I read this to mean the person who cannot wait in the queue but otherwise wants to ride. DL also made every ride a rider swap ride as opposed to some of them when they made this change.
So pay to go to Disney and spend most of your time inline and ride without the person who you specifically came with to enjoy Disney together!!! They then get to ride alone??? I don't understand this reasoning? We have done rider swap with kids and we understand that reasoning and how it works. If this is the new path sounds like Disney does not want us spending our money at the resorts.

Last edited:
This change just popped up on Disneyland website. For those who think Disney must offer DAS. At least some people are going to be told no. If anyone is told yes.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/
The part that applies:
Reasons for rider swap
  • Cannot wait the duration of the queue and needs another member of their party to do the waiting for them
Interesting - but it won't work for a party of two if the person who can't wait must be supervised.

Since a Drs note is neither required nor requested by Disney for DAS, at this moment it’s irrelevant to the discussion. However,

If you hand over the note, then you’re disclosing it, not the doctor. HIPAA doesn’t allow medical professionals to disclose your medical info without your permission. If you hand over the note that you asked the doctor to provide, then you’ve obviously given permission to disclose the information.
This is the best way to explain it to those not working directly with covered entities to explain it.

HIPAA is about protecting patients from disclosure by their medical providers to other providers, insurance companies, etc. You can personally disclose your information to whomever you choose. You, yourself, are not bound by HIPAA as regards your own medical information, and Disney as a theme park company is not covered by HIPAA as they are not a healthcare provider, insurance company, or any other entity to which HIPAA applies.

Since a Drs note is neither required nor requested by Disney for DAS, at this moment it’s irrelevant to the discussion. However,

This is the best way to explain it to those not working directly with covered entities to explain it.

HIPAA is about protecting patients from disclosure by their medical providers to other providers, insurance companies, etc. You can personally disclose your information to whomever you choose. You, yourself, are not bound by HIPAA as regards your own medical information, and Disney as a theme park company is not covered by HIPAA as they are not a healthcare provider, insurance company, or any other entity to which HIPAA applies.

Exactly this on HIPAA. It protects or doctor from releasing your records/information to others without your permission. So if Disney were to directly ask for the information from the doctor, the doctor would not be able to release the information to Disney due to HIPAA. But if you obtain your own information/records from or provider, you can give them to anyone you choose. You are making the choice to release or disclose your personal information.

Interesting - but it won't work for a party of two if the person who can't wait must be supervised.

I don't think parties of 1 and 2 have been the big problem.

As an accommodation, rider swap is a smart solution for Disney to cut down on abuse. It now does not provide advantage to folks who are abusing the system.

Last edited:
This change just popped up on Disneyland website. For those who think Disney must offer DAS. At least some people are going to be told no. If anyone is told yes.
The part that applies:
Reasons for rider swap
  • Cannot wait the duration of the queue and needs another member of their party to do the waiting for them

This is confusing to me as we have always had to have the entire party wait the line to use RS when a non-rider met the height requirement. Example, my nephew was just over 40' but petrified of TOT, we were told since he can ride we would have to wait in the SB line as a group and switch at the exit. Sadly, he was just as afraid of the line as he was the ride so we split up. I can't imagine how this would address the issues of someone who previously held a DAS, especially with a party of 2 or 3.

Autism - three people in my family are autistic and none of them uses or needs DAS, in fact they are very much "sticklers for the rules" so they wouldn't use one if given! OTOH, two family members have been granted DAS for other issues having nothing to do with autism.

This is confusing to me as we have always had to have the entire party wait the line to use RS when a non-rider met the height requirement. Example, my nephew was just over 40' but petrified of TOT, we were told since he can ride we would have to wait in the SB line as a group and switch at the exit. Sadly, he was just as afraid of the line as he was the ride so we split up. I can't imagine how this would address the issues of someone who previously held a DAS, especially with a party of 2 or 3.

Autism - three people in my family are autistic and none of them uses or needs DAS, in fact they are very much "sticklers for the rules" so they wouldn't use one if given! OTOH, two family members have been granted DAS for other issues having nothing to do with autism.
The key is that in your case, the rider met boarding requirements but didn’t want to ride. Text at the link specifically mentions it works for those who can’t meet boarding requirements.

The key is that in your case, the rider met boarding requirements but didn’t want to ride. Text at the link specifically mentions it works for those who can’t meet boarding requirements.

Yes agree, my nephew met the boarding requirements and had to wait the line even though he wasn't riding. Applying those same standards, I don't see how "RS" applies to a guest with DAS who meets the requirements and is riding. IE, why make a non rider wait in line but let a rider wait elsewhere? Esp. since my 5yo nephew could not wait alone (per Disney rules) while many DAS users could.

One of the main benefits of DAS for us is that we can spend more time together, vs splitting up based on who can tolerate a given wait. This "spot saving" would put us back at square one.

Not trying to be argumentative - I just can't make sense of this :)

The part that applies:
Reasons for rider swap
I see this is specific to DisneyLAND, which may or may not have different issues with regards to DAS and/or Rider Swap. Some things are the same between the 2 coasts while others work differently.

However, I don't really see how Rider Swap helps a DAS-holder other than making them split up their party. I suppose the DAS-holder plus another could wait while Party1 rides, then use the swap. But other than splitting up the party it doesn't seem to be a replacement for DAS.

This is confusing to me as we have always had to have the entire party wait the line to use RS when a non-rider met the height requirement.
The key is that in your case, the rider met boarding requirements but didn’t want to ride.
It could also be WDW. The link PP shared above is about Disneyland in CA, which sometimes does things different from the FL parks. The link does specifically mention Rider Swap being for a guest who cannot wait in the queue and needs another member of the party to do so for them. But I don't see the value of using Rider Swap like that vs DAS because it splits the party up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter