Cross Border Road Trips & Food

I've never been asked that while driving, but of course you have to fill out the customs form when flying. But it sounds like there is a very big double standard here for US citizens vs. Canadians! We usually don't get anything but a "Welcome Home" and a wave on through. Maybe we just look REALLY boring! What is Nexus?

But going into the US? They ask every time if anything to declare .

Okay now I'm confused. So you can bring fruit across the border as long as it has individual stickers on them? I was planning on bringing a banana or two and some apples.

Okay now I'm confused. So you can bring fruit across the border as long as it has individual stickers on them? I was planning on bringing a banana or two and some apples.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82 This site might help? We never bother with fruits or vegetables as it just seemed too much bother but we are usually flying have fruit at hotel for breakfast but I pack lots of food in suitcases-crackers, cookies, cheese all if bought on sale in Canada is cheaper than buying in Florida. We have also always declared everything. We grocery shop a lot in the states and bring it home......again always declare- last time coming back into Canada we did have to go in and pay.....had lots of chicken, dairy -love having milk in jugs! There was no duty or taxes on the groceries. There are limits as to how much you can bring back grocery wise- like one turkey per person......but the limits are pretty high........but again we don't bother with the fruits and vegetables on the return either-they are not much cheaper but the dairy and chicken sure is!!!
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/in...to-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a1

I've never been asked that while driving, but of course you have to fill out the customs form when flying. But it sounds like there is a very big double standard here for US citizens vs. Canadians! We usually don't get anything but a "Welcome Home" and a wave on through. Maybe we just look REALLY boring!

What is Nexus?

It was always my understanding that you have to declare no matter whether they ask or not.......fines are pretty steep. We've never gone to the states and not brought back something!

From government website
'If you do not declare goods, or if you falsely declare them, the CBSA can seize the goods. This means that you may lose the goods permanently or that you may have to pay a penalty to get them back. Depending on the type of goods and the circumstances involved, the CBSA may impose a penalty that ranges from 25% to 80% of the value of the seized goods'

We pack a sealed pack of lunch meat and sealed cheese along with a bag of salad and Kaisers to make buns after we cross the border.
Once across we stop at a walmart and pick up fruits and veggies along with yogurts for the car ride, yogurt flavours are so much more exciting there. We also have a case or two of water for the drive too.
We've never had a problem doing it this way.

off of the web site provided by formill

Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada

Food products from Canada, including pet food and fresh (frozen or chilled), cooked, canned or otherwise processed products containing beef, veal, bison, and cervid (e.g. deer, elk, moose, caribou etc.) are now permitted from Canada in passenger baggage. Products containing sheep, lamb, or goat will not be allowed entry. Food products should be commerically packaged and sealed with ingredients listed in English. The passenger must provide proof of the origin of beef, pork, poultry, cervid meat, and pet food in order to bring them into the United States. Examples of proof of origin include the grocery store receipt where the product was purchased or the label on the product indicating the province in which it was packaged.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/sa_international/sa_travel is another great site.

Every year we just empty what is in the fridge to start our trip.

I wouldn't bring bananas. If it has a US or Canada sticker you are good - you still need to declare it. But - it could still lead you to be pulled in to secondary to be searched. My recommendation is to stick with packaged stuff. Make one of your stops a SuperTarget or SuperWalmart - good time to stretch legs etc and pick up all the fruit you need once you cross. I work in the US and cross 5x per week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter