crossing the border in less than 72 hours- what do you need?

scorpsfan

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone.
Just a general question about crossing the (land) border these days so this isn't directly Disney related so I'm sorry! As I'm posting this, I know you still need a negative test to cross back into Canada. However, we all know this is going to change tomorrow for those of us crossing for less than 72 hours. What exactly do you need to show the border guard when you're crossing into the US and then back into Canada (when it's less than 72 hours)? It looks like everyone needs the Arrive Can app. So do you think you can do all of that info before you leave your house (in Canada) so it's ready for when you're coming home? Besides vaccination records, is there anything else? Thanks so much

To cross into the US, all you need is a passport and proof of your double vaccination.

To come back, you fill out the Arrivecan app. You will just need your passport and proof of your double vaccination again.

But for a short shopping trip, let's say, could you fill out Arrivecan before you leave your house?

But for a short shopping trip, let's say, could you fill out Arrivecan before you leave your house?
Yes you can! You are able to fill out your ArriveCAN up to three days before your return time to Canada. So if you're only going for the day, you could fill it out the morning of or even a day or two before you leave! Hope this helps :)

Yes you can! You are able to fill out your ArriveCAN up to three days before your return time to Canada. So if you're only going for the day, you could fill it out the morning of or even a day or two before you leave! Hope this helps :)
Thanks so much. So what else do you need in addition to the Arrivecan info? Do they take your phone and look at your info??

I believe they just scan your passport. When you use arrive can you insert your passport as well as vaccination info, so everything should come up when they take your passports. I would keep the digital receipt that the app gives you just in case, so that you have it if they are to ask.

When I went on the 11th they scanned my nexus card and didn't look at the ArriveCAN app, even though I was holding it out for him. He said it came up when he scanned my nexus card because it was all loaded up and connected.

Also if anyone isn't aware there was an update to the ArriveCAN app last night that you can now upload your vaccination receipt and passport/nexus info and it will stay in there permanently until you delete it, that way you don't have to upload each time and just have to put in your travel info.

When I went on the 11th they scanned my nexus card and didn't look at the ArriveCAN app, even though I was holding it out for him. He said it came up when he scanned my nexus card because it was all loaded up and connected.

Also if anyone isn't aware there was an update to the ArriveCAN app last night that you can now upload your vaccination receipt and passport/nexus info and it will stay in there permanently until you delete it, that way you don't have to upload each time and just have to put in your travel info.
Thx for this - I was anxious about not being able to front-load our info (5 people is a lot to organize), but I got everything uploaded this morning!

I’ve read a few comments on Reddit and other boards that say “make sure you fill out your quarantine plan properly!” and read about a man who didn’t fill it out properly and had to quarantine (article in my post above). How can you mess that up? I’m going for a day trip next week and now I’m super paranoid.

I’ve read a few comments on Reddit and other boards that say “make sure you fill out your quarantine plan properly!” and read about a man who didn’t fill it out properly and had to quarantine (article in my post above). How can you mess that up? I’m going for a day trip next week and now I’m super paranoid.
Do we know what that section looks like? I can't get that far into the APP. Are there certain criterai you have to include in your plan?

Do we know what that section looks like? I can't get that far into the APP. Are there certain criterai you have to include in your plan?
This link - scroll down a bit and there's a button to see if your "quarantine plan would be considered adequate."

Thank you! Still makes me nervous when it says “likely considered suitable” lol. (Even when you select you can quarantine alone. I could quarantine at my cabin).

I did just come back from NYC beginning of November and answered the questions the same and had no issue. I hate how so much of this depends on the CBSA agent you get.

I saw this on the news. I don’t feel bad for them at all. If you are travelling during a pandemic it’s your responsibility to make sure you know everything that’s required. And they have made it pretty clear that you need to use that app.

I have talked to three people planning on crossing the border for 20 minutes to grab Black Friday packages or to shop. One had no idea about the ArriveCAN requirement. Another believed it was not required for short trips. My wife's co-workers went to shop over there on November 30 and none of them knew about the App. They were given a pass. News articles regarding the 72 exemption typically do not speak about the APP. I can understand the confusion.

I have talked to three people planning on crossing the border for 20 minutes to grab Black Friday packages or to shop. One had no idea about the ArriveCAN requirement. Another believed it was not required for short trips. My wife's co-workers went to shop over there on November 30 and none of them knew about the App. They were given a pass. News articles regarding the 72 exemption typically do not speak about the APP. I can understand the confusion.
Definitely. Unless you're a super-planner like us here, very unlikely you even know to use it. This has *not* been well explained or advertised to people living in border-cities. Those in the know are those with extended travel plans.

Hi, we are in Buffalo right now, crossed at Queenston today. There is an electronic sign advising that the Arrivecan is required for re-entry.

How was the border today? We are going for the day tomorrow and trying to figure out when we should leave. I went on Nov 11th but that was a Thursday and it was dead going across.

We crossed at 0930, maybe 6 cars on the bridge. Only asked why we were visiting and for how long. Saw a few Ontario plates in the Galleria mall parking but not as many as I expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter