Crowd Calendars Worth It?

I’m new to the boards, but have been taking my boys yearly since 2010.
I used crowd calendars in the beginning , but now follow the rule of magic kingdom on tue, wed , and thurs. sometimes a Saturday - but always more crowded . So plan shows and rides like small world and save mountains for a week day. Animal kingdom is a great one on a Saturday or Sunday if they don’t have early am hours. Have a great trip
Thank you for the tips! So far, I have MK planned for Sun and Tues, Epcot Wed, and whatever park we decide for one other day (no plans, just a ticket, so far) I’m hoping MK on Sunday will not be too crazy.

My 2 cents is the parks are always crowded, but how you plan your visit and use FP are critical to getting more done at the parks.
Do you recommend utilizing touring plans to plan your visit? I am utilizing EMM at MK and after hours at AK to try to maximize our time on our “must do” attractions, and I figured anything on top of this is really icing on the cake in those two parks.

I don't let them dictate my day to day decisions. What works for your family and your vacation is more important than a prediction. That said, they can give you useful information if you look at the historical data (or read the bloggers who do that analysis for you like Josh at EasyWDW). For example, Sun is now the lowest crowd day of the week (on average) for visiting MK. And AK has been more busy Fri-Sun (my guess on why is that people are putting it late in their vacation for easier FPs and locals are visiting for FOP - but that's only my guess).

Another thing to know is that in any given week, the average increase between the MK waits on a busy day versus a slow one is about 5 mins per ride. So once you've picked a week (and you've got two pretty good ones) don't get too worried about the days.
Yay! So many of you have said the first two weeks of May are a good choice. I’m hoping this turns out to be the case. Your info on MK is what I have been reading...that Sunday is now a lower crowd day. Yet, the user advice on this board is often to avoid the weekends at MK. So, it has me doubting my plans of MK as our first park on a Sunday.

Yay! So many of you have said the first two weeks of May are a good choice. I’m hoping this turns out to be the case. Your info on MK is what I have been reading...that Sunday is now a lower crowd day. Yet, the user advice on this board is often to avoid the weekends at MK. So, it has me doubting my plans of MK as our first park on a Sunday.

If you're talking Sun 4/28 then that is the Sun I'll be in MK. We've gone that equivalent Sun the last three years. We've also been on Tues, Thurs, and the following Sat of that same week. Sun was always similar to Tues and Thurs and noticably lighter than Sat. This year it might be a little busier because of the way Easter falls but I still expect it to be very manageable. My experience lines up with the data analysis being done by more than one person. But since those are averages not everyone's will. And sometime what was true before has changed. If I had a bad experience on a Sun and said never again and always avoid Suns after that, how would I know things have changed?

Everyone has to roll the dice a little bit. But I think you'll fine Sun is a good day in MK. I wouldn't (and am not personally going to) change). I do have some uncertainty about Easter crowds still lingering. But it's not enough uncertainty for me to alter my plans.

If you're talking Sun 4/28 then that is the Sun I'll be in MK. We've gone that equivalent Sun the last three years. We've also been on Tues, Thurs, and the following Sat of that same week. Sun was always similar to Tues and Thurs and noticably lighter than Sat. This year it might be a little busier because of the way Easter falls but I still expect it to be very manageable. My experience lines up with the data analysis being done by more than one person. But since those are averages not everyone's will. And sometime what was true before has changed. If I had a bad experience on a Sun and said never again and always avoid Suns after that, how would I know things have changed?

Everyone has to roll the dice a little bit. But I think you'll fine Sun is a good day in MK. I wouldn't (and am not personally going to) change). I do have some uncertainty about Easter crowds still lingering. But it's not enough uncertainty for me to alter my plans.
We will be here the following weekend in May, so Easter crowds hopefully will be cleared and cheerleading “crowds” will be moving in. I’m not sure if any other events will effect the crowd levels during this time. From what I have read, it looks like Flower and Garden at Epcot will be in full swing.

Wow so I was looking at the TP calendar from Thanksgiving week 2018. They had 3s,4s,5s for Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Talk about off.
LOL I’ve never been to Disney, but my common sense tells me all school breaks and the days surrounding any major holidays would be extra crowded. I think the calendar states it is based on ride wait times and not actual crowd numbers.

Do you recommend utilizing touring plans to plan your visit? I am utilizing EMM at MK and after hours at AK to try to maximize our time on our “must do” attractions, and I figured anything on top of this is really icing on the cake in those two parks.

The strategy I use, and the attractions I select, really depends on what FPs I can get to start my day. Getting those golden FPs to FOP, Slinky and Mine Train make a huge difference on what you can do if you "must-do" them.

I start with getting FPs early, to the most popular rides, and using them as early as possible. Then I can pick up extra FPs. If FPs get slow, we go to shows and attractions with low waits.

The strategy using of using EMM and After Hours means you won't have to make any hard choices on FPs at two parks. It should set you up to use your FPs on less-popular attractions that are easier to get.

For a written "guide" I think the various scenarios for visiting the parks at easywdw is excellent and it's a free resource.

The challenge left for you will be at Hollywood Studios. Slinky Dog is the hardest to get FP right now at all the parks.

The strategy I use, and the attractions I select, really depends on what FPs I can get to start my day. Getting those golden FPs to FOP, Slinky and Mine Train make a huge difference on what you can do if you "must-do" them.

I start with getting FPs early, to the most popular rides, and using them as early as possible. Then I can pick up extra FPs. If FPs get slow, we go to shows and attractions with low waits.

The strategy using of using EMM and After Hours means you won't have to make any hard choices on FPs at two parks. It should set you up to use your FPs on less-popular attractions that are easier to get.

For a written "guide" I think the various scenarios for visiting the parks at easywdw is excellent and it's a free resource.

The challenge left for you will be at Hollywood Studios. Slinky Dog is the hardest to get FP right now at all the parks.
Thank you for all of the advice! I have utilized easywdw off and on during my planning. I really like their site. We shall see if we get a Fastpass to SDD. Fingers crossed!

Crowd calendars are ultimately a self-defeating prophecy. When everyone starts saying "Hey, this is a great time to go!" people will listen. It will work for a while, but as people adjust their habits, things start becoming much less predictable.

I am utilizing touring plans to help me navigate. This is our first trip, so I am unfamiliar with crowd levels and walking distances. So, it is nice to have a general outline for our day that will maybe keep us from getting overwhelmed or walking more than necessary to our desired locations.

This is exactly what TPs is useful for. When I went last year it was my first time and I had no clue how long anything would take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter