Crowd levels compared to WDW

Was there Nov 5-9, staying at Aventura, did not have unusually long security lines, either in the hub or when taking the boat from SF. (I think it was Jersey week also?)

Got in EE line for IOA one morning around 7:20, wasn't too backed up then. Arrived around 10 AM one morning to US and that entry line was a bit longer than I expected. Not having express, I took advantage of single rider at Mummy, Gringott's, and MIB, all very fast. Got in line for Hagrid's around noon when it said 75 minutes, took 60. (Looked at the SR line for that; it was horrible, so stuck with the regular one) Velocicoaster is another ride I don't bother with SR line, it is often not faster. New Villain con ride could be found at 15 minutes frequently. Saw Minions at 25 a few times, but I have been on it enough I didn't bother. Rip Ride Rockit was always short. Eevn the Hogwarts Express was often only 15 minutes when I wanted to ride. (Once I saw it at 45 and didn't bother) The crowds don't bother me much, except they walk so slow! Always bad in the Harry Potter areas. Having an AP and being there several days I just go with the flow.

I had no wait for lunch at Cafe La Bamba or to get a table for lunch at Confisco Grille. Easily got a seat at the bar at Antojitos after the parks closed for dinner.

One concern for us with Universal is that we aren't thrill riders and really miss some of the old attractions that they removed (e.g. Jaws, Terminator, Beetlejuice, Earthquake) so wonder if there will be enough for us.
I get it. I am not into thrill rides either but I have always had a fantastic time. Here are some of the non-thrill rides I enjoyed:

Minion Mayhem
ET
King Kong
Jimmy Fallon
Men in Black
Hogwarts Express (ride both ways if you have Park Hoppers, because it is different)
Suessland rides (Rides themed to Dr. Suess)
Forbidden Journey
Kodos and Kang

Also, don't forget about the shows. They are enjoyable and I have never felt like seeing one of the shows (indoor or outdoor) at Universal was a waste of time. Some are one and done, but that's okay. Also, many of the shows use the same location. If you see one show, stay where you are, and in fifteen minutes or so, there will be a different show.

Go for a Busch Gardens / SeaWorld trip if you want roller coasters. If you hit "slow" Disney weeks they are actually legitimately slow weeks at SW / BG. And those roller coasters are top notch! Actually, I recommend getting a day at Discovery Cove with the 14 day package to SW / BG / Aquatica - it works out to quite cheap, nets you free parking, and you can come & go at the other 3 parks at your leisure.

All that said, I hit the last week of Oct (the week including Halloween) in 2021 & again this year, and I think it is the sweet spot. There are still crowds in Wizarding World during the day, but otherwise it was pretty reasonable. Although definitely busier this year than 2021.
I agree. I was just at Busch Gardens Tampa (late October) and didn't wait more than 30 minutes for a single ride. You absolutely don't need the Quick Queue (their version of Express). Iron Gwazi might just be the best coaster I've been on. Velocicoaster is a fantastic coaster at Universal but Gwazi was something else.

Big downsides were that food was more expensive and AWFUL.

Velocicoaster is a fantastic coaster at Universal but Gwazi was something else.

Both correct points.
The food is better at SW than BG (more options, more places open IME). You can get the all day dining (on sale right now as part of the Black Friday sales) and it works out as a pretty good deal at SW once you grab a few meals & then a few "free" snacks are just bonuses.

Funnily enough I actually am going to do a discovery cove, seaworld, and kennedy space center trip before our cruise next summer. Already bought my DC and SW tickets on the black friday sale. We decided to come down a week before the cruise just for that purpose and didn't want to do the usual Dis and Uni stuff. Time for something different for us. Sorry the post got hijacked from original topic though!

@georgina glad you didn't hit the long entry lines. I think our mistake was arriving at the gates at 8 am at islands for early entry and 9 am the other days on the US side. You definitely have to get there either super early or much later. On our arrival day after our flight we went to the gate at noon and it was no problem. It's just about timing I think.

The food is better at SW than BG (more options, more places open IME). You can get the all day dining (on sale right now as part of the Black Friday sales) and it works out as a pretty good deal at SW once you grab a few meals & then a few "free" snacks are just bonuses.
I found the food to be pretty bad at SW this time around - I had the all day dinning.

Best thing I had was probably the Panini - but I got there at open so it was just made.
I dont think there are any options till the panni place opens at around 10AM - so no breakfast. option.
Had to pay 15 for a Donut and Coffee - total ripoff.

The pretzel place is also no longer on it it seems -its also every 90 minutes now instead of every hour. Not a big deal unless the meal is inedible which has happened.

Much of the food was cold or not the quality I recall a couple years back.
I tried several places over three days and was very disappointed with all of it- you also cant get a bottle of water anymore greatly reducing its value to me. I used to be able to trade the side for a second bottle of water.
The only thing that was good was the mac and cheese.

Late in the day the options were very limited during Hallowscream as the close much of the park - only option was seafire grill that serves chicken nuggets and sandwiches. It was packed and it was so bad I just tossed it - what a waste of food.

I did not really see this - there were a lot of Spanish speakers but I did not have any of the issues you mention - not like when yo have tour groups at Disney. I did 12 days at Universal and did not have any issues with cutting in lines or taking on rides etc...

What I did notice was a lot of German Speakers which I just found unusual - they were not an issue - there was just a lot of them and their level of English is usually very high
I was there 10/31-11/4. Crowds were low until Friday and Saturday when they really picked up. Halloween was great very low crowds. I definitely noticed a difference in crowd make up- being American felt like we were in the minority. My husband speaks several languages and he deduced that since the majority of the Latin Americans were speaking Portuguese they were from Brazil. I guess it’s just cultural differences but we also experienced loudness, rudeness, line cutting etc. Lots of other international folks too British, Irish, German, etc no issues but was wondering if there is a European school break around this time.

You can get the all day dining (on sale right now as part of the Black Friday sales) and it works out as a pretty good deal at SW once you grab a few meals & then a few "free" snacks are just bonuses.
Are they offering the annual all-day dining option? I remember a few years ago, you could pay some nominal flat rate and have all-day dining for the entire year.

I’ve had zero issues with rude groups from anywhere this year. I visited May, July and September 4-7 days each time. I have experienced the big Brazilian boisterous tour groups before, but not since before the pandemic. There were lots of school groups in May all well behaved. I will absolutely be renewing my AP. I’ve seen that security line from Royal before, but not often and it moves quickly.

Was here over the last two weeks, and also had to do a few days at Disney.

For the most part Universal felt much busier and far more crowded...I just don't think its designed to handle the number of people.

One of the worst things is since the parks close so early (at 7 some days) there is just a sea of people all trying to get out - its a mess. They system does work - I was always able to get a bus to dockside without issue, but its a crazy amount of people.

Also - there were a lot more people on scooters this time, and a general complaint I heard was that there were a lot of people who may not have needed the scooter. Obviously I cant judge that as who knows what issue someone may have, but I did hear it more than once.

Regardless it was one of the things I did not like about Disney that has made it to Universal - people going way to fast on scooters and drinking adult beverages. Also kids on the scooters with the adult and the kid is driving - and again too fast. I almost got hit more than once, the ignorance of these folks is amazing, and then they act like I am the issue.

Last edited:
I’ve had zero issues with rude groups from anywhere this year. I visited May, July and September 4-7 days each time. I have experienced the big Brazilian boisterous tour groups before, but not since before the pandemic. There were lots of school groups in May all well behaved. I will absolutely be renewing my AP. I’ve seen that security line from Royal before, but not often and it moves quickly.
I was at the Dockside for about two weeks, Lots of groups from lots of places and really did not have any issues, even with the dancers or cheerleads - they were all pretty well behaved.

The one thing I did run into quite a bit was groups who did not speak English, or pretended not to speak English, trying to use the single rider line and trying to force their way onto a ride well other groups were waiting 40+ minutes. Luckily, Universal was having none of that and sent them away. It is quite annoying as it hold up the single rider line.

The other issue this time, and this was mostly Americans, trying to move ahead in line to catch up with their party - wait to enter the line until your entire party is there. It sounds like a small thing, but in one case it did keep us from getting on the ride as they went, then some express pass folks and then the ride broke down and we waited 30 minutes. Women behind me was irate.

Just because one of you is further up the line does not mean the other 3 can join them after 20 minutes. I saw a lot of this - people just don't understand theme park etiquette.

I was at the Dockside for about two weeks, Lots of groups from lots of places and really did not have any issues, even with the dancers or cheerleads - they were all pretty well behaved.

The one thing I did run into quite a bit was groups who did not speak English, or pretended not to speak English, trying to use the single rider line and trying to force their way onto a ride well other groups were waiting 40+ minutes. Luckily, Universal was having none of that and sent them away. It is quite annoying as it hold up the single rider line.

The other issue this time, and this was mostly Americans, trying to move ahead in line to catch up with their party - wait to enter the line until your entire party is there. It sounds like a small thing, but in one case it did keep us from getting on the ride as they went, then some express pass folks and then the ride broke down and we waited 30 minutes. Women behind me was irate.

Just because one of you is further up the line does not mean the other 3 can join them after 20 minutes. I saw a lot of this - people just don't understand theme park etiquette.
Unfortunately, I think they do understand but are just being selfish and entitled. I spoke too soon before, on my end of January trip this year the Brazilian tour groups were back. I don’t put up with them. I keep my place or offer to go in front of them so that they can be with their group who was trailing behind. Luckily, I had no issues in the single rider line. My next trip is in June, so we’ll see what happens.

Unfortunately, I think they do understand but are just being selfish and entitled. I spoke too soon before, on my end of January trip this year the Brazilian tour groups were back. I don’t put up with them. I keep my place or offer to go in front of them so that they can be with their group who was trailing behind. Luckily, I had no issues in the single rider line. My next trip is in June, so we’ll see what happens.
Yeah - this was everyone this time though. Did have an issue with one tour group of like seven - more a large family I think (well I didn't, but observed) and they touched the woman to get her out of the way and she totally flipped on them, not that I blame her. They did not go past her but at one of the switch backs they cut past and in front of her. Then when we got to the point where they mix in the express pass folks they cut it off with her - so she was stuck behind all those switchback folks. She then turned around and said - see this is why I did not want to let them pass. I spoke to her a bit and she was most bothered that they touched her TBH.

That said for the most part it was Americans doing this, and it was honestly family and probably legit, but it just not the way its done. Good luck trying to explain it to these folks - its just not worth it.

I have heard of it happening with tour groups and a large group trying to catch up to one, but I've never seen that.
I was under the impression that the groups had been put on notice about this.

Back from several days at Disney, 2 days at universal, and both were insanely crowded. IoA was especially crowded this week, hot, and long lines, ride issues. the night before at Univeral was not all that bad. We did have express, and it was very needed and appreciated during this very busy spring break week.
Disney, esp MK, was also the busiest I've seen in a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter