Crowd levels right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add manipulation of wait times by Disney (less hours, less staffing, running one side etc because of low resort bookings) to weather closures and break downs and even a low crowd day is going to “feel” crowded.

We have been in early August before with higher crowd predictions/levels and had great low wait days, granted we were lucky with weather and ride break downs. But it was before the increase in the pay more to play management strategy.

Curious to see how this plays out next week.

So we are here and true to my name have only been to Epcot thus far :) And Epcot has had moderate to light crowds. Last night we went on Soarin and Spaceship Earth 2x each as walk-ons, then fireworks viewing was easy - lots of good spots. It had been raining a bit but nothing crazy and no rain during fireworks. It’s Epcot EMH now so we are at Stormalong Bay since FPs we’re very hard to get this morning, so I think it’s probably packed right now, and rain is threatening any moment so we wanted to get some pool time in. We’ll head into the World Showcase later and are in AK tomorrow - I’m happy to report back.

I've honestly never had much luck with getting any quality FPs after using my first 3 so I've found it's easier to go with a different strategy. Since I usually RD the parks (especially MK) I will make fast passes starting 11:00am into the mid day time period. When the park opens I can usually ride 3 or 4 major attractions with little wait. By the time the lines start getting long, it's time to use my fast passes.

So, we will be at MK this Sunday and have a PPO BOG breakfast at 8am. Hoping that's the edge we need to bypass some crowds. I looked at waits last sunday AM around 9amand they were very low around Frontierland and Adventure Land (we have a FP+ for 7DMT) so we will not be with the pack at RD. Part of me hopes there's a drop off in crowds on Aug 1 as kids go back to school and the other part of me is like, BRACE YOURSELF!

We are conditioned to always expect crowds but I feel like when we go to WDW in the summer, we should at least get lower crowd levels to compensate with the heat and rain :laughing::laughing:
I was there this past Sunday and I thought the crowds and wait times were not bad at all. I seem to be in the minority but that’s how it was for us. Hope your Sunday goes great for you too!

We were just there from 7/20-7/21. I'm almost afraid to tell you because I don't want to spoil your trip--but this is the honest truth. We stayed at the Poly, booked all reservations well in advance, and did FP at 7AM at the 60 day window. We have gone this time of the year (give or take a week) the past 6 years consecutively. Huge Disney fans, love, love, love....best Disney vacation ever just last summer. Having said that, we had absolutely planned to go again next summer (already working with travel agent to book 2020) until we went this summer.

The crowds (which we anticipated would be lower due to SWGE opening later and it has been the past couple of July's) were insanely crowded and there was just no escape from them this year. We even booked a Disney after hours (Villain), which we had did last summer...except this summer they let so many more people into them that what was a peaceful non-crowded MK last year with walk on rides....were now 20 minute average wait times to ride this year (not okay during an after hours--and we didn't get to ride a lot of things we had wanted). It felt more like EMH'ers versus the after hours party we paid $130 per person to attend.

The Disney transportation seemed to take so much longer this year (on average over an hour to get from resort to park). I am blaming this also on just more people/higher crowds--and they fact the parks have such limited hours (I still remember when MK was kept open until midnight, the past 2 summers Hollywood and AK had later hours, etc.). We attempted to park hop from Hollywood to a dining reservation in Epcot one day, they shut down the water boats, told us it would "quicker" to take a bus--we waited over 45 minutes to get a bus out of Hollywood--had it not been pouring we would have walked. Monorails were often very hot, and almost always standing room only packed. Getting out of the MK after the Villain after hours was stressful and packed--like at park closing. It truly felt like park closing because there were SO many people there. We were also planning to do the Hollywood after hours party, and ended up not doing it because the MK one was so disappointing. I am not sure if it was the free dining, just more AP this year due to all the new stuff opening--but the crowds were intense. Normally we do our 3 fast passes, and then immediately book others--this year there was nothing left that you would even need a FP for. Lines were long for all rides. Epcot had slightly less wait times, but when it rains they close test track and then that swamps the other lines. We had a FP to test track and it was down due to wetness, and they would not allow us to use it for FEE (which I felt we should have since both are tier 1).

We think Disney could have done a better job at extending park hours to disburse the crowds, and we are also blaming the new FP systems (people were talking about being able to buy 6 of them now if you stay club level, and I believe good neighbor hotels also get to book them early now)...but even at our 60 day mark, we were unable to get SDD until the last day in our trip, etc. Sorry--I know I sound so negative. We still love Disney--but we plan to take a break this year and hope to find our magic by 2021...

I feel like your experience mirrored ours in some regards. We have never been in July before, but have been a number of times in June. So we are used to summer heat and crowds. I really felt the crowds were much heavier this time and the parks felt busier. The one thing you shared about trying to book extra FPs - we struggled with this a great deal especially in MK. All of our FPs were pre-booked for early morning on our two MK days. After we used those we struggled to find more for the big rides such as BTMRR and Splash. We never did get to ride BTMRR because the waits were so long the whole time and the one time I was able to finally snag a FP it went down and never came up the rest of the evening. Now, mind you, we still had a fabulous time! I just wasn't expecting the prior mentioned things to occur.

Yesterday and today were different - AK yesterday was the most crowded I’ve ever seen it and it rained constantly starting early afternoon and the crowds seemed to only grow with the rain. It was not a fun experience. Epcot today is mobbed. BC/YC is mobbed as well, lines for everything, no seats at the pool. I don’t like complaining and I am trying to focus on the positive but this is not our best visit.

Yesterday and today were different - AK yesterday was the most crowded I’ve ever seen it and it rained constantly starting early afternoon and the crowds seemed to only grow with the rain. It was not a fun experience. Epcot today is mobbed. BC/YC is mobbed as well, lines for everything, no seats at the pool. I don’t like complaining and I am trying to focus on the positive but this is not our best visit.
I'm so sorry! Like you, I am not a complaining person, and I had hesitated to say anything...while I won't say we had a miserable time--because for sure we were in Disney and we did have a nice getaway--it wasn't magical. We are already looking into other venues for the next year. I hope yours gets better! I had hoped it would die down after we left.

I've honestly never had much luck with getting any quality FPs after using my first 3 so I've found it's easier to go with a different strategy. Since I usually RD the parks (especially MK) I will make fast passes starting 11:00am into the mid day time period. When the park opens I can usually ride 3 or 4 major attractions with little wait. By the time the lines start getting long, it's time to use my fast passes.

That’s the strategy I’m going to go with the week before Christmas. I figure if the teenagers, or the adults, don’t make RD we will at least still have FP’s to use if we arrive later. And bonus if we do make RD.

We have been here all week. We were also here at Christmas, spring break in March, and the 2nd week of June. For me this week has definitely been busier than I thought it would but I still think it’s slower than Christmas (obviously) and spring break. June was super nice and slow. Maybe a bunch of people trying to avoid the Star Wars crowd. Still gotten a lot done.

We have been here all week. We were also here at Christmas, spring break in March, and the 2nd week of June. For me this week has definitely been busier than I thought it would but I still think it’s slower than Christmas (obviously) and spring break. June was super nice and slow. Maybe a bunch of people trying to avoid the Star Wars crowd. Still gotten a lot done.
We arrive tomorrow and this is our first trip in 6 years. We've always gone in the fall when there were no crowds so I am super nervous

So we are here and true to my name have only been to Epcot thus far :) And Epcot has had moderate to light crowds. Last night we went on Soarin and Spaceship Earth 2x each as walk-ons, then fireworks viewing was easy - lots of good spots. It had been raining a bit but nothing crazy and no rain during fireworks. It’s Epcot EMH now so we are at Stormalong Bay since FPs we’re very hard to get this morning, so I think it’s probably packed right now, and rain is threatening any moment so we wanted to get some pool time in. We’ll head into the World Showcase later and are in AK tomorrow - I’m happy to report back.

Please keep reporting, I leave Monday and this is helpful :)

In response to your follow up, do you think a lot of the negativity can be attributed to the bad weather?

Last edited:
We are here now. We have been here since monday. On prior trips we had come in September and may at lower crowd times. With a good plan we have done everything we want to do. I got numerous same day FP as epcot and MK. We rope drop, do precooked FP in the morning, then start in on same day ones. Weve been eating sit down at lunch time, and taking breaks. The rain has messed us up a couple times but we have adapted and kept rolling.

Yesterday we did HS in the afternoon and evening after a rest morning. We had FP for TOT, star tours and slinky. We arrived at 2:45 and did:
ToT (fp)
Frozen show
Star tours (fp)
Snack, star wars stage show
Indiana jones
Slinky (fp)
Mania (no FP waited 15 minutes)
Dinner
Shopping (could have fit in a show here if desired)
Couldn't get additional FP for anything we wanted. There was little Mermaid, star tours, fantasmic, frozen and muppets available.
Went back to toy story land at 815
Rode Aliens with 15 minute wait.
Mania walk on.
In line for slinky at 850 and waited 20 minutes.

I feel we lucked out with arriving close to 3 and doing slinky 2x, mania 2x, saucers, and TOT. I use crowd calendars and had a decent plan and it went fine.

That’s weird. We’re here (BC too), and we thought the MK yesterday was much quieter most of the day than when we’ve been here summers past. When we went to SAB last evening it was virtually empty. We went to Illuminations last night and got a spot on the fence only about 10 minutes before 9. We were very pleased.

That’s weird. We’re here (BC too), and we thought the MK yesterday was much quieter most of the day than when we’ve been here summers past. When we went to SAB last evening it was virtually empty. We went to Illuminations last night and got a spot on the fence only about 10 minutes before 9. We were very pleased.
We were at Stormalong Bay Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and loved every minute. It was not crowded, had no trouble getting chairs. Certain times we waited a few minutes for the water slide, but we were able to get tubes every time we went to the lazy river. We went to MK on Thursday night and it wasn't bad, except for Space FP line which took 20 min.

We arrived yesterday and find the crowds to be quite light. Hollywood Studios was pretty empty yesterday afternoon/evening. Magic Kingdom was similar earlier today. We love visiting in August because of the low crowds - this is our 3rd year doing this week and if you can take the heat, it’s some of the lowest crowds of the year!

I’m happy for everyone who had good luck. I can’t explain why ours wasn’t better. MK today was busy but crowds were well distributed - we had less than 20 minute wait on most rides and FP for mine train, PP, and BTMRR. Weather is great today - hot and humid of course but first day of the past 7 with no rain.

We got to MK today and rode all of our FPs plus PoC and BS from noon until 3. We snagged a FP for Soarin' at 7 tonight and are at dinner at Le Celier. A bit of rain but it's been fine otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter