Crowd Outlook

We just got back from 17 days in FL. We did UO from 6/21-6/23 and Disney from 6/26-7/2 and spent other days bouncing around the state for visiting, colleges, etc. Spent a lot of time outdoors.

Neither park seemed as busy as it would normally be. We did book 1 night Royal Pacific for the Express Passes, but even for standby, wait times didn't seem too bad. Disney we did not use Genie+. Wait times were mostly pretty low compared to the last 2 years for this week that we've gone. We used early entry and late hours on 6/26 and basically did all of MK and a third of DHS.

My adult DD met up with a friend of hers that is local on Saturday and she said parks were not nearly as busy as normal going into the 4th of July. ToT had several instances of short waits, and on BTMR the kids did 4x in a row Sunday evening before and during the fireworks with no waiting at all. Haunted Mansion seemed to be a walk on most of that evening as well.

The week of 6/18-6/26 weather was beautiful. Universal dates were amazing weather actually. It got noticeably hot this past Friday and Saturday. Yesterday when we left Orlando it was 102 without the "real feel". The heat right now is no joke! We hit some major storms driving through parts of FL, GA, and VA last night.

Also, afternoon virtual queues for Tron and Guardians were still available long after the 1 p.m. drop on some days. I'd checked just for fun. The morning ones still seemed to go very quickly.

Travel is breaking records:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...-of-the-holiday-weekend-theyre-getting-worse/

Travel has picked up steadily every year since bottoming out during the pandemic. For the past week, about 2.6 million people a day on average have been flying in the United States, about 2% more than in the same period during pre-pandemic 2019, according to Transportation Security Administration figures.

The number of air travelers could set a pandemic-era record over the holiday weekend. The FAA expects Thursday to be the busiest, with more than 52,500 total flights.

Well, we have been at DCA all afternoon and when I tell you it is DEAD. Holy cow. I guess everyone could be over at DL, but I have not seen DCA this slow on a summer day since 2019.

And it became sweatshirt weather right around 8pm. Brrrr.....

I'd point out with the rates they are charging, the prices are way too high most dates even with the discounts. Especially at the Deluxe hotels. However, as long as they keep selling them, people will buy them I suppose.

Travel is breaking records:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...-of-the-holiday-weekend-theyre-getting-worse/

Travel has picked up steadily every year since bottoming out during the pandemic. For the past week, about 2.6 million people a day on average have been flying in the United States, about 2% more than in the same period during pre-pandemic 2019, according to Transportation Security Administration figures.

The number of air travelers could set a pandemic-era record over the holiday weekend. The FAA expects Thursday to be the busiest, with more than 52,500 total flights.

Eh, flights only tell a part of the story. Corporate travel is basically fully back now, people are also less fearful now to fly to visit family and friends. Plus Airlines are just starting to get towards and stay at pre pandemic levels, so I don't really call it breaking records.

While the Orlando parks don't seem to be doing that well, some major regional parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island have higher attendance so far this year. Cedar Point was the busiest was packed yesterday

While the Orlando parks don't seem to be doing that well, some major regional parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island have higher attendance so far this year. Cedar Point was the busiest was packed yesterday
Regional parks are going to be popular this summer because they're significantly cheaper, when you factor in the entire trip cost, which I think is great. Disney and Universal will pick back up later this year or early next year but Cedar, and Carowinds and parks like that deserve some time to shine. They're all so much fun.

I'd point out with the rates they are charging, the prices are way too high most dates even with the discounts. Especially at the Deluxe hotels. However, as long as they keep selling them, people will buy them I suppose.

"Way too high" is a subjective statement.

We are paying $419/night at the Beach Club for 9 nights at the end of this month. We just stayed at a VERY mediocre Homewood Suites in San Diego for about $350/night all in (including taxes and parking).

To me, the BC price is a steal.

Eh, flights only tell a part of the story. Corporate travel is basically fully back now, people are also less fearful now to fly to visit family and friends. Plus Airlines are just starting to get towards and stay at pre pandemic levels, so I don't really call it breaking records.
I was just quoting the article that said pre-pandemic records will be broken this year and I was replying to someone who said "travel is down this year". Just rying to interject some facts into the discussion.

Possibly, but highly doubtful considering they have been in place for a while, and have never had a dramatic effect on wait times
IMO it's a combination of the pent up demand ending and price is playing a big factor now. Florida travel is up this summer so far, yet Disney and Universal are seeing lower attendance. Yet major regional parks are doing very well attendance wise.

TWDC was entertainment for the entire family. Over the past 10 years, they worked hard in movies to redefine the concept, family was given a new definition. In announcements, in the four key values (now 5), in staffing, and in any public facing content the definition was changed. Now, the plan was wildly successful. Disney is no longer entertainment for the traditional family. What they didn't see coming was the redefinition of the word audience went along with that as well. Movies are not drawing crowds, drop off in Star Wars 7 - 9. Park attendance is anecdotally low. Perhaps the traditional family has taken stock, and found other places to go while the 'new' family is left to fill theaters, parks, etc. and unable to carry the load? Not any one single decision by any one person, but the end effect of starting years back and way overshooting the mark leaving many behind is my thought of the day.

TWDC was entertainment for the entire family. Over the past 10 years, they worked hard in movies to redefine the concept, family was given a new definition. In announcements, in the four key values (now 5), in staffing, and in any public facing content the definition was changed. Now, the plan was wildly successful. Disney is no longer entertainment for the traditional family. What they didn't see coming was the redefinition of the word audience went along with that as well. Movies are not drawing crowds, drop off in Star Wars 7 - 9. Park attendance is anecdotally low. Perhaps the traditional family has taken stock, and found other places to go while the 'new' family is left to fill theaters, parks, etc. and unable to carry the load? Not any one single decision by any one person, but the end effect of starting years back and way overshooting the mark leaving many behind is my thought of the day.
Just to put meat on the bone:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/
Box Office Mojo shows 'Sound of Freedom' making 14M, where Indiana Jones made 11M. With nearly zero dollar budget the Freedom movie brought in the traditional, Christian, mom and dad. Apparently in a bit of hubris, Disney acquired the rights to the Freedom movie, with the purchase of 20th Century Fox and shelved it. Once the producers bought it back, and released it on about half the screens, it had better results. That is my point, that Disney re-defined the audience to its own demise.

WdW parks may be down but DCL is packed. Last 3 cruises we were on were completely full.
As far as Universal usually we weigh getting express pass so the kids can go on everything before
our 830-9 flight. Last few times have not had to. After disembarking at Uni by 10 they are done
and ready to be picked up by 6 or 7.

Heard several families on cruise saying they have given up on the parks for different reasons at least
for now.

Disneyland still seems to be pretty busy when I dropped off visiting relatives (on a Sat). They came back
saying it is still too crowded.

Last edited:
*Oh and the movie theatre on board was constantly busy no matter what movie and even time.
I never use to see this. Made me think about how a theatre I go to sometimes has "flashback"
night where an older good movie plays and cheap (6-7) dollars. Like Godfather...10 commandments
Top Gun etc. They fill up. Normal movie prices are 15-18 dollars same theatre. Mediocre attendance.

So seems ppl still like going out BUT at certain price points and perceived value for hard earned dollars.

Box Office Mojo shows 'Sound of Freedom' making 14M, where Indiana Jones made 11M. With nearly zero dollar budget the Freedom movie brought in the traditional, Christian, mom and dad. Apparently in a bit of hubris, Disney acquired the rights to the Freedom movie, with the purchase of 20th Century Fox and shelved it. Once the producers bought it back, and released it on about half the screens, it had better results. That is my point, that Disney re-defined the audience to its own demise.
I find it curious that a movie like this did so well on July 4, given the audience and topic. Not that I’m debating the numbers, but… interesting.

Box Office Mojo shows 'Sound of Freedom' making 14M, where Indiana Jones made 11M.
Why are you comparing the first day of one movie with the fifth day of another movie?

On its first day, Indy 5 brought in $23,682,998.

Yeah, 11M on Indy's fifth day isn't great, but it's still disingenuous to compare it with SoF's opening day.

Why are you comparing the first day of one movie with the fifth day of another movie?

On its first day, Indy 5 brought in $23,682,998.

Yeah, 11M on Indy's fifth day isn't great, but it's still disingenuous to compare it with SoF's opening day.
It makes his Disney hates Christians narrative seem like it has weight. We all know of all people in the world White Christians are the most marginalized

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter