Crowds Galore

eatmypixiedust

<font color=blue><marquee>I'm coming to you live f
I went to Downtown Disney tonight and noticed the crowds were absolutely massive!! I arrived there around 7:30pm and once I got off the tram, I literally could not move and had my feet run over and stepped on by strollers and people. I've never seen it so crowded. Was there some special event going on? I saw a lot of teens in formal wear.

Also, in World of Disney I felt squooshed by holiday shoppers. It was absolutely insane. Are the parks this crowded now? I was planning to take an out of town visitor to the parks on the 16th or 17th of this month. Do you think it would be crowded then? I'd like to get there early morning if possible.

Jeez, I haven't a clue of why it was so busy for a weekday. My sister and I almost went this past Wednesday because we were curious to see how crowded it gets in the middle of the week. We didn't make it because I wasn't feeling good and needed to rest. Sleeping many hours on my days off really helps. It's sad I've started to notice how burnt out I'm getting with going up there. On 12/02, I literally dragged my feet around and felt such a low enthusiasm. I'm not blaming the parks at all, I'm blaming the fact that I'm completely drained of energy! Work has a great deal of causing that. Sooooo, getting back to your topic, I couldn't tell you why it was so crowded, just that to be prepared as it gets closer to the holidays. Not just up at DL, but everywhere!

I've been in the Park all week. This is the busiest that I have seen it in early December. Most waits for rides are still under 30 minutes, but the amount of people is suprising. I'm used to lots of elbow room at this time of year.

DTD is such a festive place around the holidays, and would be a fun place to shop. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of groups aren't having Christmas get-togethers at some of the hotels and restaurants. I suspect it is actually busier than DL during the week. However, I expect DL to be crazy from the 16th or 17th on. I looked on Expedia and checked out hotels around DL for those dates -- the ones closest to DL are booked, or charge $200, $300, or even $400 a nite for a standard room at a 2 star inn. It made me feel great that I'm paying much less for the GCH than some of the lower rated good neighbor hotels. But I am preparing for big time crowds.

Was there a special screening of Narnia in DTD? I seem to remember a mention of that somewhere.

I bet the teens were from local high schools attending their winter formals.

B9erSteve said:
I've been in the Park all week. This is the busiest that I have seen it in early December. Most waits for rides are still under 30 minutes, but the amount of people is suprising. I'm used to lots of elbow room at this time of year.

I'm used to having elbow room too. This was the first time I literally could not move. There were just too many people. World of Disney was the worst. I've never seen it filled with so many holiday shoppers. I felt trapped in there too and the lines at each register was a nightmare.

I also felt bad for the CM's running the trams. When I arrived at the boarding area from the parking structure, the CM kept saying: "No more boarding please! No more boarding!" and literally had to yell. There were about 20 people who just boarded anyways. They were grown adults too and they just laughed and said: "Pssh, who cares?!" and boarded anyway. The CM kept trying to leave but people just continued to board. When I rode on the next tram, the driver had to slam on the brakes hard, which startled me and the other passengers. These two teenage girls thought it would be "smart" to board the tram as it was moving. The driver was furious and kicked them off. I know everyone is in a rush this time of year but it's a drag being there when it's that crowded. :guilty:

Brina78 said:
Jeez, I haven't a clue of why it was so busy for a weekday. My sister and I almost went this past Wednesday because we were curious to see how crowded it gets in the middle of the week. We didn't make it because I wasn't feeling good and needed to rest. Sleeping many hours on my days off really helps. It's sad I've started to notice how burnt out I'm getting with going up there. On 12/02, I literally dragged my feet around and felt such a low enthusiasm. I'm not blaming the parks at all, I'm blaming the fact that I'm completely drained of energy! Work has a great deal of causing that. Sooooo, getting back to your topic, I couldn't tell you why it was so crowded, just that to be prepared as it gets closer to the holidays. Not just up at DL, but everywhere!

I know how you feel. I've been exhausted and stressed out with work. For the past 2 months I've been working 1-2 hrs. overtime and I feel like I desperately need a vacation.

eatmypixiedust said:
I know how you feel. I've been exhausted and stressed out with work. For the past 2 months I've been working 1-2 hrs. overtime and I feel like I desperately need a vacation.
It's an epidemic. You know what would cure that? An all expenses paid, two week vacation to DL - GCH of course. Hey, one can dream.

I know thursday there was a private party held in Disneyland after closing, there were quite a few people who went to that. And I also noticed some people dressed up too, but I don't know why Downtown Disney was so crowded.

SANDIEGOFAN said:
It's an epidemic. You know what would cure that? An all expenses paid, two week vacation to DL - GCH of course. Hey, one can dream.
Ohhh, I've been dreaming of that! I would LOVE to spend at least one night at GCH! But, heck, if all expenses paid, make it two weeks! That'd be a dream come true! Well, another dream come true, some have already happened. ;)

SANDIEGOFAN said:

Ooooh, that would be awesome! Maybe one of these days I can afford that.;)

I saw a lot of teens dressed in formals at GCH on Thursday night. I know there is a big conference here right now (8000 people) but that is probably almost always true so I don't know if that makes any difference.

When I got to DL right after opening on Friday, I went into Frontierland first and the street was completely empty; I just had to get a couple pictures of that. I guess that is not most people's first stop. But by last night everything was packed.

DD18 works as a receptionist for a large car dealership with several locations and they had a private Christmas party in DL on 12/7 from 7 pm-midnight (I think). She said she had a blast and it wasn't too crowded. However, she was shopping in DTD earlier and said it was packed. Heck, just going anywhere now is packed, it is just the shopping season. :flower: DH's Christmas party is at the DL Hotel in one of the ballrooms 12/16. We got a "special rate" at PP of $160 per night (staying 2 nights), DLH was close to $200. Normally that is not a good deal for PP, but during Christmas it is. I just love seeing all the decorations and feeling the spirit of the holidays :flower:

We just got back from a week at DL, and it was CROWDED! :crowded: DTD was packed with people Thursday night, and so was DL, to the point that you couldn't hardly moved in any direction. We still had fun shopping though. :goodvibes

We couldn't figure out why it was so crowded, and none of the CMs we asked knew why either. :confused3 The plus however is that DL has the lines for all rides and attractions running fast and smoothly, so we never stood in line for more than 10 minutes for any ride except Autopia (20 mins), Splash Mountain (30 mins), and Peter Pan (forget about it ;) ). However, Thursday night was most likely a much different story, as it really was CRAZY CROWDED! Not sure what this weekend will be like, but if you visit on a Mon, Tues, or Weds, it looks like you'll be safe from the masses. :sunny:

Brina78 said:
Jeez, I haven't a clue of why it was so busy for a weekday. My sister and I almost went this past Wednesday because we were curious to see how crowded it gets in the middle of the week.

I was there Wed. and it was very busy! They were filming the Parades for the Walt Disney Christmas special on ABC. I watched them film the Parade of Dreams and I guess later in the day they also filmed the Christmas Parade. I was talking to one of the CM's and he said we were supposed to be standing in for WDW in FL. But Disneyland is so unique in it's Main Street and Castle, I'd be surprised if they didn't just say they were now going to Disneyland in Calif., instead of trying to pass Disneyland off as WDW. Anyway, it was very crowded for the middle of the week, but everything looked absolutely gorgeous!

Why would they film a WDW Christmas special at DL? That's rather odd. I'm sure a lot of people will notice the difference. :confused3

Tink33 said:
Was there a special screening of Narnia in DTD? I seem to remember a mention of that somewhere.

I bet the teens were from local high schools attending their winter formals.
Tink I think got it. We were there from 7th thru the 9th and noticed huge crowds Thursday night at DTD with many well dressed folks of all ages. As we were making our way to our ressies at Goofy's kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel, there was an enormous line of people waiting for something. I asked one well dressed couple and they said they were going to the opening event for Narnia at the AMC. But even without all the well dress peeps, it seems like there was still a ton of folks everywhere.

:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter