crowds in October

LaurieA

Mouseketeer
I think we are going in October sometime. We haven't been to disney in many years- I can't wait! what time do the parks close, what will the weather be like- (we might go at end of october). If we stay on-site, it will be at a budget, or are there good deals at the other hotels. What will the crowds be like, we want to stay at least 5 days, will that be enough time? We will also be doing 2 days at universal.

Thanks!
Laurie

We have gone the 3rd week of October, including last year, and it is a great time to visit. The crowds are far less than summer, the weather is great, and yes you will be able to find good rates on the hotels. Although it is regular season instead of low, there were still good discount rates available for that time period. We are passholders and got that rate, but there were other discounts out. For me 5 days would never be enough(we leave in a couple of weeks for 11 days!), but that is just me. You can certainly see most things in that time period. I know that the parks are not open as late as they are during summer, but EPCOT is always open until 9:00, and even if the MK closes at 7:00, you can still do and see a lot. I know you will have a great time!

Laura

We planned a Disney get a way at the end of October this year. We will only be up there for 3 days though, 10/25-12/27 at the Boardwalk. I think the weather would be fine. You may be able to wear shorts and use a light jacket. Sometimes is gets s little chilly, but just plan to bring some pants and long sleeve shirts. Hurricane season will be coming to a close (Nov.1st) and the most active part of hurricane season is at the end of August through Sept. The crowds will not be that large I wouldn't think. I am a season pass holder and October does not have black out dates, and usually the dates that are the most crowded or popular are blacked out. You will be able to check out the park hours by going to Disney.com and clicking on parks. They usually post the park hours for the month. As of today the October dates are not avail. I do know that some nights through Oct. and 10/26 for a fact, they have the Mickey's not so Scary Halloween Party. This is done after hours and requires a separate ticket. So on these days the park will not be open late for the normal day. There might be specials running for a resort. Depending of they do or not, you might want to check into the rent/trade forum and buy DVC points for a ressie. Best of luck. :earsgirl:

Thanks for all the info. We can't wait to see disney again. When I was young, we used to go a few times a month, we lived in Clearwater. I havent been to the parks since my son was arround 4, he is now 15. I love the polynesion, I can still remember it, is it still as nice as it used to be? I would love to have him stay there, but funds are not great. Anywhere is going to be great though. I loved the access to the monorail though. I just can't wait!

Laurie

I would try to avoid the week before and after Columbus Day (October 11th), I think many southern schools have a week long fall break around that time.

We went last October and it was a GREAT time of year. Low crowds, great weather that was mostly very mild and of course MNSSHP - don't miss that!

I am ready- Thanks everyone. Should 5 days be long enough? How about the water parks this time of year?

Laurie,

If you were doing all 5 days at WDW, that would be enough to see a good bit of the 4 parks. In all honesty, if you're going to do 2 days at Universal and leave only 3 days for WDW, that really isn't enough time. Don't let that discourage you, just be aware that you are trying to fit 4 parks worth of rides, shows, and activities into 3 days. You'll just need to decide what highlights you want to hit and be prepared to come again in the future:) That being said, I would definitely reconsider the 2 days at Universal. If you have your heart set on going there, I would do those 2 parks in 1 day, leaving 4 days for WDW.

You also asked about water parks. The weather is usually still warm enough during the day at that time of year to do the water parks, but with your schedule I would say you're better off saving that for another trip.

No matter what, just have fun!

If you have a 15 year old son, don't give up a day at Universal or IOA. He will probably like it better than Disney. My oldest DD is 8 and she already enjoys Universal as much or more than Disney. We love it too! If you stay on-site at Universal you get front of the line access with your room key card. Make sure you read the Universal Boards if you have not done so already.

October is a great month to visit Disney, the weather is very pleasant and the crowds are low, except maybe on the weekends whent the locals go and especially EPCOT for the Food and Wine Festival.......that being said if your 5 days include a weekend expect EPCOT to be busy. I don't think 5 days is enough especially when you want to do Universal for 2, I think your son would enjoy IOA more than Universal. Then perhaps the other 4 days at Disney. Although I think you should also allow for a little downtown, after all this is a vacation! If you could add 2 extra days, you could move at a little slower pace and take in all the magic and a waterpark too and! Also the park hours are usually shorter at that time of the year, especially MK and AK. Don't know about the Universal park hours.:fish: :cat:

YOu all are so great! I plan a 7 day trip, 2 at universal and 5 at disney. I was just hoping 5 days in October would be long enough to see everything(i know it is never long enough)! If we were going in the summer, I wouldn't think 5 days would cut it, but I hope it will in October. How about tickets, I have been reading threads and am just to confused. LOL
Thanks so much everyone, time to start saving because i know i will want to buy everything.!!!

We will probably be there the same time as you. We leave oct. 24-29. We are doing the MNSSHP on the 26th. We rented points from a member so we have a studio at the BWV with a View of the Boardwalk for $120 a night. You might want to seriously consider renting from a member. You will get a deluxe resort for moderate prices. PM me if you want help with that process!
October is great for weather and the end of the month is promised to be lower crowds too.

I went last October- the 3rd thru the 9th. It was quite warm, if not downright hot most of the time. It only rained once, and that was in the evening. It actually got quite crowded as the week went on, but I attribute that to HUGE amounts of press/travel agents there due to grand opening of Mission Space, kick off of Wishes, Mickey's PhilharMagic and announcement of Magical Gatherings. I doubt it's like that most Wednesdays or Thursdays in October. My main piece of advice- no matter what time of the year, avoid MK on Saturdays- go to Epcot instead! We did head to MK to see the SpectroMagic parade on Saturday, cause that was the only night it was showing.

Park hours were like this: MK- 9-6/7 (can't remember); it was open until 10 or 11 on Saturday.
Epcot- 9-9:30
AK- 9-5
MGM-9-7

And the Early Entry schedule if you are staying at a Disney property was:
MK- Sunday and Thursday
Epcot- Wednesday
MGM- Tuesday and Saturday
AK- Monday and Friday

This may change as they are testing out keeping the park open LATER for Disney property guests instead of opening earlier.

The Halloween Party was going on certain nights, and we could watch the fireworks from our room at the Contemporary. We were missing the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot by a week or so.

This year we are heading back in October, and plan on doing the Halloween Party and checking out the food and wine festival. I think it's a lively time of year to go- not too crowded if you plan correctly, and sometimes you didn't even have to plan- the crowds were just plain low at certain parks on certain days.

If you have 5 full days, then you'll have enough time. You can do 1 park per day with one rest day or a water park (if you're doing Universal too, I'd take a day of rest and not go to a water park, but that's just me!). Crowds should be light so wait times won't be bad at all, that will allow you to do more rides in less time.

I went in November once, and the weather was fine, so I'd guess Oct. would be good as well. Have a great trip!

My Family and I will be there Oct 9th thru 16th. I've been to WDW a few times(8or9) but never in October so now I'm REALLY Nervous about going Columbus Day Weekend.

We were originally going to VB for 2 days, AKL with the silver plan for 3 and PC without the plan for 2 in an attempt to get the most from the experience.
Then I switched the 3 days AKL with silver to 3 days PC with silver to save money.
Fortunately after being convinced that all that moving around was too hectic I looked into the "Stay for 5 and get 2 Free" deal. For a comparatively small difference in price We are now staying at POR for a full week with Silver thus saving my Family and I both Stress and Money!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have the time and are already going to pay for 5 nights at WDW why not see if you can get the same deal and get your other 2 nights Free???? Even if you decide to go to Universal or some other attraction the other 2 days, Why pay for lodging if you don't have too????

The Family/Crew of The Black Pearlpirate: :teeth: :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter