Crowds - October vs. December

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
Historically....would crowds be better in mid-October (AFTER Columbus weekend) or in early December (AFTER candlelight processional)?

We aren't for sure when we'll be able to go in 2023. Here are possible dates...
October 14th - 19th
December 6th - 11th

We would not attend any Halloween parties or Christmas ones (if they have those.)

Our last trip was late June so I'm also curious how either of those times would compare to what we experienced this year (June 21st - 25th.)

Oh definitely go in October..weather is better and lots more to do. Crowds are about the same.

Oh definitely go in October..weather is better and lots more to do. Crowds are about the same.
As a local who visits frequently, I respectfully disagree. October is insanely crowded with fall breaks and people coming out in droves for the Halloween offerings. December is still crowded, but I would wager that particular week will be less crowded than almost any week in October.

October can also be blazing hot. We’ve had temps in the 90s this year.

We had our last October trip last year. it was pretty packed and not as enjoyable. December easily.

I went to WDW first week of December 2021, and I've never seen anything like it. Never again.

Last edited:
December for sure. October at Disneyland is crazy all month. December is only crazy during the actual holiday weeks so earlier in the month is ok.

It's still really hot in October - and the crowds are much busier in October than December. It's easily becoming the busiest month now.

Historically....would crowds be better in mid-October (AFTER Columbus weekend) or in early December (AFTER candlelight processional)?

We aren't for sure when we'll be able to go in 2023. Here are possible dates...
October 14th - 19th
December 6th - 11th

We would not attend any Halloween parties or Christmas ones (if they have those.)

Our last trip was late June so I'm also curious how either of those times would compare to what we experienced this year (June 21st - 25th.)

December 6-11. October is a total nightmare the entire month.

December. We were just there last week and while we had a good time, the heat and the CROWDS kept it from being a great trip. I doubt we will ever go in October again. I really like Disney Halloween decorations but they do an incredible job with Christmas too. December, easily, by a mile.

Same. We have to go 10/21 and I’m actually dreading it. 😂😂😂
I am here right now it’s off the charts. I realize today is a holiday for some kids (not mine nor any of my local friends’ kids) but it even crazier than I was expecting. My friend and I rode exactly one ride today. 🙈 Though I was just here to shop Christmas shop sans kids before the 30% Magic Key discount goes away.

I am here right now it’s off the charts. I realize today is a holiday for some kids (not mine nor any of my local friends’ kids) but it even crazier than I was expecting. My friend and I rode exactly one ride today. 🙈 Though I was just here to shop Christmas shop sans kids before the 30% Magic Key discount goes away.

We went on this day in 2019….. I was shocked…. Granted we were newbies back then, having just moved to San Diego, but I was not expecting the chaos… apparently that year it was a federal and a state holiday, plus fall break for the entire state of Utah.

I’m glad you got to shop though!

December!! October is much much too crowded.
I avoid DL in September and October. Having done the Halloween thing there a few times and the parties...December is nicer. Holiday decorations.

I go for Utah’s fall break every other year. On the off year we go either the second week in December or November. November and December have way less crowds and the weather is nicer. I’ve been in October when it’s 90 degrees. My older kids don’t want to miss school anymore so I have to decide if it’s worth going during Christmas break instead of the calmer weeks 😢

I never ever go in October aside from the first week..maybe.
That's been my strategy the last 10 years or so.

I'm actually going this week and end of month because that's the only dates people could go to OBB but we are all MK holders so the need to do everything isn't on the table thankfully.

I agree to avoid if it at all possible due to all the fall breaks and year round school schedules that dominate the state and surrounding areas, at minimum go at rope drop early , take a break and come back to refresh and spread the days out more.

Also more people are finally travelling again , I never stopped but know several personally who literally haven't left their city since Covid started, so add that into the mix of the busiest month of fall.

December. We were just there last week and while we had a good time, the heat and the CROWDS kept it from being a great trip. I doubt we will ever go in October again. I really like Disney Halloween decorations but they do an incredible job with Christmas too. December, easily, by a mile.
1000000% agree. Not sure we’ll ever go in October again. Also learned to look at calendars better lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter