Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, but the statement of “I don’t care what needs to be done,” is dangerous. I hope there’s some degree of exaggeration of a tongue-in-cheek tone. Things need to be done safely and with the advice of infectious disease experts. I don’t have an official stance, but I hope no one just does something irrational just so people can get their sports and vacations back.
I identify with what the op was saying. To me it means my opinion and others on this board and elsewhere make absolutely no difference in how this virus is handled. Decisions will have to be made taking many factors into account. Infectious disease experts have provided very inconsistent information and have contradicted not only other experts, but themselves throughout this crisis. I, like the op just want things to get handled. Doesn't mean we're not taking things seriously.

I'm not sure it's ever been used, but isnt banning hopping one of the phases of closure for busy days of the year?

I assume the logic is that if your already in a park then you should stay there and allow others to use the occupancy numbers of whichever park you were wanting to go to.

Basically if they limit capacity you need to consider every day to potentially have the new years eve closure policies triggered - but for much lower guest numbers.

This is exactly right, they have park levels of closure for capacity procedures already in place and have used the multiple times, one of the most recent was NYE 19. the went into phase 1 at the MK. MK averages about 6 days a year of some sort of level of closure.

That's a slippery slope. If they are going to require proof of vaccination or even immunity certificates, they will have to do that with influenza, whooping cough, measles, etc.
I agree with you...and this comment might come off as callous (and I really, really hope it doesn’t because I feel so much for the families of those who have lost loved ones) but this slippery slope with immunity certificates makes me feel icky...like maybe we would even see people run out to expose themselves or their families in order to get the freedom that an immunity certificate would provide. While I understand the necessity of the situation we are in, when we talk about stuff like this it makes me ask, “Am I really in America right now?”

I agree with you...and this comment might come off as callous (and I really, really hope it doesn’t because I feel so much for the families of those who have lost loved ones) but this slippery slope with immunity certificates makes me feel icky...like maybe we would even see people run out to expose themselves or their families in order to get the freedom that an immunity certificate would provide. While I understand the necessity of the situation we are in, when we talk about stuff like this it makes me ask, “Am I really in America right now?”

No doubt, this happened in the sixties up to the ninties with chicken pox parties until a vaccine was in place.

In no way am I trying to make this political, this is just a general comment. However, I *do* think one of the dangers of Covid, is the potential power the government gets, that will be hard to get back. I watched a short video on CBC News yesterday, with a historian that focuses on war and it's effect on society, government etc... And the big take away from it was that:

1. Every time there has been a war/threat etc... the government always imposes new policies/restrictions to personal freedoms, that eventually become the new normal - they do not go away. From taxes to the increased screenings we saw after 9/11. The government inches in that much more, and stays there.

2. Covid-19 is another one of those times. She fully expects that there will be permanent policy changes come from this.

Well not necessarily. I’m not sure how this impacts WDW because while part of WDW is in Osceola not all of it is. Also Disney doesn’t always have to abide by everything counties do because they are basically their own entity/city.

Having to legally, and having to in the court of public opinion and press are two different things. I think if Osceola still has an order to wear masks in public when Disney opens, you'll see Disney requiring masks.

I normally am a positive person. Really. :)

But some of the "moves" made by federal/state governments lately seem so disingenuous to me. It's as if who can look like they are taking better care of their city than the other. One-upmanship.
What constitutes out in public? Just walking around outside? Never has it been said that you can get covid by breathing fresh air while out for a walk.

We wore our masks to Target today to pick up a few things. I was sweating under that thing by the time we were done and it wasn't 10 minutes!!!

Sigh. If it came to having to wear a mask at Disney...I can't even picture it. They'd have to close all their food locations. And people would only travel in the cooler months! :D How would they enforce it? How would they stop all the kids from taking their masks off?

How will they stop everyone from touching their face to adjust their mask and then touching other things?

Just a mess!

Having to legally, and having to in the court of public opinion and press are two different things. I think if Osceola still has an order to wear masks in public when Disney opens, you'll see Disney requiring masks.
But like I said WDW as a whole isn’t in Osceola county. I’m not sure disney would have to follow this guideline. If all surrounding counties adopt this maybe they would be forced too but as it stands it’s a big grey area.

Yep there is more and more talk of immunity certificates for those who have antibodies. If people have been issued with them then its viable for Disney etc to begin requiring them - or proof of vaccination.

There was until it became clear people were going to cause a spike in cases to get the virus and the resulting antibody certificate. That stopped the talk by anyone who could order that.

That pretty much settles the "Will Disney require masks" debate....

Lol, no it doesn't. That order is not forever. It will be rescinded at some point. I'm willing to bet it will be well short of whenever Disney reopens.

I normally am a positive person. Really. :)

But some of the "moves" made by federal/state governments lately seem so disingenuous to me. It's as if who can look like they are taking better care of their city than the other. One-upmanship.
What constitutes out in public? Just walking around outside? Never has it been said that you can get covid by breathing fresh air while out for a walk.

We wore our masks to Target today to pick up a few things. I was sweating under that thing by the time we were done and it wasn't 10 minutes!!!

Sigh. If it came to having to wear a mask at Disney...I can't even picture it. They'd have to close all their food locations. And people would only travel in the cooler months! :D
If you read the following tweet there are scenarios to that. For example if you are outside exercising but practicing social distancing you don’t need a mask.

My question from this: how WILL Disney achieve reducing capacity? I honestly do see them only allowing admission to on site guests only. I mean, you can't expect people to spend thousands of dollars and travel potentially thousands of miles, without there being a guarantee they get into the park that day. (Normal) people won't do it.

So my guess is, for quite a while, on site guests only will be allowed into the parks. They can track potential attendees for the day through the amount of registered hotel guests, and of course through the booking of FP+. They would obviously have to limit the amount of resort rooms allowed to be booked, which I think is in line with the speculation that only a few resorts open initially. Maybe a couple in each category?

Maybe allow the Florida resident AP holders a certain allotment, too? Or, once resort guests have met their quota, locals could show up that day and take a chance on getting in if there's extra spots? Not sure.

I'm guessing park hopping won't be allowed, since that would make it a lot harder to predict attendance at each park, and people aren't going to want to build plans around park hopping only to be told later, sorry, we're full, go somewhere else. Easier to just not allow it.

But who knows 🤷

My take away: the chance of us taking our vacation to WDW in 2021 is looking pretty slim 😢
It's all 1 big crap shoot!!!

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

One thing that may be a problem for opening is the fact Disney is headquartered in CA and Newsom is very pro lockdown and shutdowns, he called Disney personally to get them to not allow ESPN to partner with UFC and have fights with no audience on a Indian reservation and Disney agreed.

He potentially could leverage his power to force Disney to not open WDW due to bad optics like he did with UFC. Newsom had no authority of the Indian reservation, but he found a way to shut it down.

Just read that antibody tests should be out within a week from now.
They are completely unreliable, so won't be much use.

I got some statistics through my work this week (don't really want to say who I work for, but I get a lot of info that the general public doesn't) about the reliability of testing.

The swabs that are taken from in the mouth are only 32% reliable. The ones taken in the nose are better - just over 60%. But that is massive un-reliability, and could explain why we aren't doing more testing here in the UK - the results just aren't reliable.

And every single one of the antibody tests that have been tested have proven to be completely unreliable.

So I don't think we can rely on testing to prove that somebody is safe at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter