Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, just maybe, now that testing is more wide spread in Florida we are now actually seeing how common the virus has been in Florida for months and there isn’t an actual spike in cases.
I mean, people keep making the argument that all the increases in positives are the result of more testing and yet the positivity rate doesn’t come down. At a certain point you’ve gotta stop making this argument, it’s ridiculous.

Well dang if you want us to give our feelings on all the amusements parks I will, I legitimately thought that kind of major tangent was not welcome. And I do attempt to not stray, sometimes lol. Here goes!

First, I think Disney is likely going to draw bigger crowds than all the other area attractions combined, and also going to draw in tourists more than any of the other places combined (don’t come for me Universal fans). That presents a huge problem in a state that is already in bad shape. People aren’t teleporting to Disney, cool as it would be. That aside, I thought Universal and the others should not have opened when they did. I think when some mask haters praised Legoland for not requiring them that was highly irresponsible of Legoland. I think Sea Worlds fireworks are a major case of just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I think there have likely been employees quietly testing positive at all these places in numbers that would make people uncomfortable, and I have indeed seen rumblings of that on other places but take that FWIW. I think the shutting down bars was largely a little band aid on a huge wound, and the large gatherings (hello amusement parks) should be shut down as well.

I still think in Florida Disney presents a bigger problem than the other guys. As has always been true, they are the major draw in the area and draw people both there and to the rest of the smaller players in the area. As good as Disney may or may not be when the parks open, that unfortunately doesn’t apply to the rest of the area or the state.

Maybe, just maybe, now that testing is more wide spread in Florida we are now actually seeing how common the virus has been in Florida for months and there isn’t an actual spike in cases.
As I’ve reiterated in many previous posts, testing is not widespread in Florida. I (and many others I know) have tried to get tested and it’s very difficult with restricted hours, limited supply, and questionnaires establishing certain criteria to get tested in certain (more convenient) locations. While more people have certainly been tested now versus even three months ago, it’s nowhere near widespread, hence why the positivity rate hasn’t decreased and, on some days, has increased sizably. This is all I will say on this, as I know the moderating team has tried to keep this thread focused on operational updates and I’d imagine they’d like to enjoy their Fourth as well.

I do agree about the optics looking bad. Plus I think one positive angle people have to Disney for delaying their opening was that it would give them more time to see how things develop, etc - and if that is the case, what about anything that has developed since they announced they would open is a signal that progress has been made and now good to open now?

Personally is still think theme parks can be open and do it safely - and seems like from reports Universal is doing a pretty good job. I see a lot of people saying they felt safer there than at publix or other places. Now, "safer" doesn't mean "safe" but I think there are ways to open things up, let companies earn money, and let people enjoy themselves somewhat, but do it safely. I *think* Disney will do it right but if you choose to go you are taking the risk that they won't and, again, that "safe as possible" doesn't mean safe - but hard to do anything right now and be 100% safe

I do see people calling out other theme parks that don't seem to be doing a good job and expect the same if Disney doesn't do a good job of being as safe as possible
I think the issue here is that, though Disney will presumably do this better than anyone (and for the record, I believe they will), the "best" is still really bad considering Florida's current situation. Going to the store, even if several people aren't wearing masks, is relatively low risk because you are in a space that contains a large volume of air, and you're not there for long. Standing on a line at Disney, at 6ft apart, with everyone wearing masks is lower risk...getting on a ride in a smaller, enclosed space that is servicing thousands of guests where air is not exchanged frequently, eating in table service restaurants, and staying in hotels where distancing in public spaces such as elevators and hallways is virtually impossible are all much riskier behaviors.

Attachments

• 20200704_112042.jpg
    20200704_112042.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 52
I have to say I agree with the bolded. Everything seems to be measured in absolutes, but why can't it be measured in phased, slooooow opening(s)? And that's not just with Disney, that's in the states in general.

I am keeping my fingers crossed very tightly for Disney - please let it go smoothly. And please let them have the awareness to make adjustments if it starts to look bad.
True, it can’t be an on/off switch. Disney has to invest in a slow re-opening as they are doing so that the good results from it will be able to show hesitant people that it’s okay to come back.

Here are the new numbers with yesterday’s numbers as well.

Florida
Today - 11,445 new cases, 85,086 tests, 14.10% positive for new cases
Yesterday - 9450 new cases, 67,090 tests, 14.10% positive for new cases

Orange County
Today - 1166 new cases, 15.5% positive for new cases
Yesterday - 611 new cases, 15.7% for new cases

So the jump in numbers is big but the rate positive is basically steady because of more testing. These are still crazy numbers though with the percent positive rate not really changing much. 😬

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf
And keep in mind these numbers do not reflect out of state residents in FLA who have tested positive

Really, a lot of outbreaks are probably due to behavior - hotspots all over are near tourist areas and college areas (for those that went back) and protest sites...all of these areas were obvious places where folks were engaged in "not especially smart behavior ever" activities (like the sharing of cups, lengthy drinking, the prolonged indoor stays practically sitting in folks laps, screaming/marching/handholding, etc)...

The problem is...tourists tend to universally want to relax and escape on vacation...so they are gonna be the worst when it comes to keeping up necessary behaviors to keep a lid on outbreaks...and then they also are carriers to a new area, and continue to carry over and over and over...

It's a not great situation b/c tourist areas need the money...but they also don't want the disease...and finding a sweet spot to guarantee both isn't being found yet...

And it's not just Orlando...SC beaches are in huge outbreaks...CA beaches are in huge outbreaks...TX cities are in huge outbreaks...etc...

But is Florida having the same documentation issues other states are having? I’m in Texas and work in hospital administration. We are tracking numbers daily. Our states systems are not capable at this time of differentiating between truly new positives and repeat positives. Most employers here require you to get two negative results before returning to work after a positive. So people who test positive are being tested multiple times with each positive being reported as a new positive for that day. The numbers in Texas look bad, but they aren’t truly new cases. What I focus on is our hospital capacity and death rate. Death rate is going down.
No, Florida reports both sets of numbers - percentage of new tests positive and percentage of total tests positive so they are able to separate that out. The numbers I posted in my earlier post were the % positive for new cases only.

I wish the folks who take unnecessary risks such as visiting a theme park while case numbers are rising would appreciate the downstream risk they create for frontline healthcare workers who ultimately will be taking care of them
That is not a definite. Some ppl keep saying “taking unnecessary risks”...perhaps it depends where you live? Where I live pretty much most things are open & we go to those places. So if you’re competing visiting a theme park to only going out for essentials, sure, but compared to carrying on with regular life like we are here, then no.

No, Florida reports both sets of numbers - percentage of new tests positive and percentage of total tests positive so they are able to separate that out. The numbers I posted in my earlier post were the % positive for new cases only.
Ah ok. Thanks!

I think the issue here is that, though Disney will presumably do this better than anyone (and for the record, I believe they will), the "best" is still really bad considering Florida's current situation. Going to the store, even if several people aren't wearing masks, is relatively low risk because you are in a space that contains a large volume of air, and you're not there for long. Standing on a line at Disney, at 6ft apart, with everyone wearing masks is lower risk...getting on a ride in a smaller, enclosed space that is servicing thousands of guests where air is not exchanged frequently, eating in table service restaurants, and staying in hotels where distancing in public spaces such as elevators and hallways is virtually impossible are all much riskier behaviors.

I think that is similar to the point I was making - that this time is not the best time to do it and at a minimum the optics are bad. I do think they can open and do it as safe as possible but "safe as possible now" is not the same as "safe as possible in a month when results are looking much better" ... I do think it can be safer at Disney when most of it is outside and better sanitizing and better enforcing of masks and social distancing than other places (even like a grocery store where it is totally inside, even if a larger space, and seeing lots of reports of quite a high % of people not following guidance there not just a handful)

Disney could delay but there are a lot of challenges that come with that too - or they stick with the plan and are over the top diligent in enforcing the rules and really limiting capacity. If not the I really think they need to get called out about it and I totally get anyone who isn't comfortable going now (and do wish Disney was doing more for those that aren't, like letting them keep discounts for reschedules into 2021, etc)

Why is it binary that they have to open *now* or they have to *close forever*? They are literally on track to open when the state they are located in has the highest daily case total of any state in the nation, at any time during the pandemic. Again, 11,500 cases today. NY’s peak was just over 12,000. Also, if you look at literally every other first world nation on the planet, or even look at NY/NJ/CT, you can see how they can reopen safely. When numbers get MUCH MUCH lower, and when testing and contact tracing are in place. That’s what euro disney is doing and all the Asian parks are doing. There’s no reason why it should be different here.
No they don’t have to open now. My point more or less is this isn’t going away anytime soon. There will always be a risk when they open. The whole virus in this country has become such a political issue that’s its nearly impossible to get things standardized or even under control right now here. Obviously we can’t discuss that here but that’s unfortunately how it is.

You may have felt this too with your trips as I know I did to some degree before we were cancelled, I think some people know deep down the situation is bad but need to feel like it’s still safe to take their trips, keep their plans, live their lives and that they have some control to keep themselves safe.

Things won’t be bad for some until there are people dropping dead in the street. It is what it is.

It is absolutely easier to look at the conditions more objectively once you don’t have a trip on the line anymore. That said, our last trip we cancelled ourselves and we made the decision not to go to the AP preview, even though looking at that confirmation literally brings tears to my eyes. But despite desperately wanting to go, we saw how bad it was. But you’re right, there’s no dissuading anyone at this point. Sadly, it’s going to have to get a lot worse and I have no doubt it will. Without action, we’ve just begin to see the effects.

As I’ve reiterated in many previous posts, testing is not widespread in Florida. I (and many others I know) have tried to get tested and it’s very difficult with restricted hours, limited supply, and questionnaires establishing certain criteria to get tested in certain (more convenient) locations. While more people have certainly been tested now versus even three months ago, it’s nowhere near widespread, hence why the positivity rate hasn’t decreased and, on some days, has increased sizably. This is all I will say on this, as I know the moderating team has tried to keep this thread focused on operational updates and I’d imagine they’d like to enjoy their Fourth as well.
If you look at the demographic break down of testing in Florida, over the past few weeks the people being tested now represent a far more representative group of Florida’s population than what was being tested previously.

I have to say I agree with the bolded. Everything seems to be measured in absolutes, but why can't it be measured in phased, slooooow opening(s)? And that's not just with Disney, that's in the states in general.

I am keeping my fingers crossed very tightly for Disney - please let it go smoothly. And please let them have the awareness to make adjustments if it starts to look bad.
Is Disney not opening in phases? Two theme parks at a time? A few resorts at a time? Stage shows closed yet? Restrictions on attendance? Like I said it’s all a political thing when it comes to the states.

Long lines are crowd management measures. Some of those queues are huge. Better to have people standing in a socially distant line for 90 minutes then all out in front of the castle on Main Street I guess.
I guess. Just seems like if they wanted to make it a more positive experience for those going during a time of great uncertainty that maybe they should? Also with knowing how many people will be in each park it would be fairly easy to manage. Guess we’ll see. I’m interested to read all the feedback and see how it goes

No they don’t have to open now. My point more or less is this isn’t going away anytime soon. There will always be a risk when they open. The whole virus in this country has become such a political issue that’s its nearly impossible to get things standardized or even under control right now here. Obviously we can’t discuss that here but that’s unfortunately how it is.

It doesn’t need to go away to make later better than now (from a COVID perspective, obviously there are logistical implications for Disney for stopping the train).

There is a lot of room between now and never. Opening something like Disney, one of the biggest tourist draws in the country (and keeping the other parks open), in a hot spot while cases are high is a lot different than opening it during a downward trend that happens in hopefully the not too distant future. Why the heck did they wait until mid July if opening like this was fine? Waiting on the reservation system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter