Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one should assume that they know everything about something and not look for outside suggestions. Even if you’re an expert in a field, you can learn something new from an unexpected source.
Yes. And depending on what they are planning, they are adhering to the Administrative Procedures Act.

When I was at MK during my trip to Disney two weeks ago, I was walking with my better half towards tomorrow land and it was pretty much empty. There was no one else walking around us and we were joking about how desolate MK was... Well we finally saw other humans while we were walking and this older gentleman and another man were walking towards us. They were well dressed and had name tags so we knew they were Disney employees. The older gentleman stopped me and my hubby (while social distancing) and asked us some general questions about us and our trip. It was less than a three minute conversation but the man was very polite and we went on our way. I noticed his name tag said Bob but didn't connect anything and I didn't think anything of it until this morning, when I saw a picture of Bob Iger for the first time and yelled at my hubby to take a look. We both agree that we believe the older gentleman who stopped us that day was Bob Iger. Although we were all wearing masks, I am 92.8% sure it was him. Or I'm off my rocker and it was another Bob.

Federal employee here who used to write Federal Register notices for rulemakings and still involved in public comment periods. It's not necessarily a sector, but rather the action that is being taken. For example, we have the expertise to write a rule, but part of the democracy we live in requires that we allow the public a chance to comment or provide input. Depending on the action, the law can be pretty specific on when public comment periods are required. And the government is supposed to address the public comments in the final rule.

An issue I have is the timing of adhering to this requirement (although I don't know if it is true). If it is merely to maintain a compliance, why wouldn't this feedback request have been made back in April/May knowing the inputs would be ignored/negligible? Pushing the inputs until later September for a no-sail order expiring for the end of that month tells me there is little to no chance of U.S. sailings in October.

I am all for universal inputs across a sector/industry, but can't help think if this logic is valid then the CDC is a depository of external experts feedback.

Federall law requires this step. The Feds just lost a case at the Supreme Court because they implemented a regulation without a proper comment period.

Can you please point me to this law as applicable to the CDC and the cruise industry? I don't doubt that it exists, but haven't seen it. See above about the timing of the feedback/survey request.

As per Federal Regulatory requirement, "When any federal agency needs to create a new regulation, it starts with a regulation proposal in the Federal Register. Under the Administrative Procedures Act (1946), the agency is then required to request comments on that proposal by all members of the public."

It is this that controls what the CDC is requesting.

Federal employee here who used to write Federal Register notices for rulemakings and still involved in public comment periods. It's not necessarily a sector, but rather the action that is being taken. For example, we have the expertise to write a rule, but part of the democracy we live in requires that we allow the public a chance to comment or provide input. Depending on the action, the law can be pretty specific on when public comment periods are required. And the government is supposed to address the public comments in the final rule.
This sounds like those famed "Public comment" sections of the virtual Tourism Task Force meetings we all laughed about-except in written form and not nearly as comical

Just to give those in th US an idea of what we are seeing elsewhere, as part of its covid coverage the BBC has just noted that covid deaths in Florida yesterday were 257 which is a record for the fourth day in a row and that florida has now recorded 470,000 cases the second highest in the USA. Even if travel to the USA were possible I'm sure statistics like this would put many off no matter how safe the Disney bubble is portrayed.

Just to give those in th US an idea of what we are seeing elsewhere, as part of its covid coverage the BBC has just noted that covid deaths in Florida yesterday were 257 which is a record for the fourth day in a row and that florida has now recorded 470,000 cases the second highest in the USA. Even if travel to the USA were possible I'm sure statistics like this would put many off no matter how safe the Disney bubble is portrayed.

We see the same statistics here. :) Sure does look scary, I agree.

We are at MK today and is our 4th day at the parks. I understand we are heading into the weekend but this is no where like our other park days. It almost feels like a regular crowd day. The wait times have to be off. The lines are way past attractions and walkways are quite crowded. Not at all comfortable.

As far as we know, the capacity hasn’t changed. It would be irresponsible if they did during this hot spot period of time, and they really havent needed to increase the capacity anyway because the parks have been slow. If more people are going to the parks, its because more people are feeling comfortable with going to the parks. Unfortunately Disney can only control that to a certain point (IE telling guests that it might be better to PPD their trip to next year).

As long as they’re still able to enforce the rules with busier park days, thats what matters most. More guests coming in means more money which means less things potentially getting cut from the guest experiences in the future. Hopefully they can control the crowded walkways quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter