• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they want a seat at the table. They want input. I do think the must be in range of said park is the biggest deterrent.
Idk why I keep forgetting that DH and I have Uni Hollywood APs. I wonder what they'd do w ppl like us who definitely live outside whatever the radius is? Reimburse? I'd rather have ours extended until we can go.

I wonder what the restrictions are that they have a problem with. Gotta assume its the radius...right? Everything else seems standard. Unless there’s another guideline in there that hasn’t been noted? Or is it that they couldnt open until “yellow” and that’s probably at least 4-6 weeks away?

I wonder what the restrictions are that they have a problem with. Gotta assume its the radius...right? Everything else seems standard. Unless there’s another guideline in there that hasn’t been noted? Or is it that they couldnt open until “yellow” and that’s probably at least 4-6 weeks away?
Yellow is the last tier when there’s basically no cases. There are a few counties in CA who are in yellow, but they are rural.

Like PP said, the yellow is probably the red flag (and will bring the lawsuit) b/c that could be months away, although I'm sure the radius is also not wanted (they'd probably agree to CA residents only, but having to figure out mileage and enforce that, and possibily get fined or shut down for it...yeah, that was also probably a red flag)...

Yellow: ain’t happening. <1 new case per 100k people in 7 day rolling average is that threshold (and you have to meet it for two weeks straight before being granted yellow). To get a feel for how remote that possibility is check out the 7 day rolling average cases per 100k by state posted by WaPo here. (First set of charts, it’s what I use to watch for the NY quarantine list changes.) Even NY/NJ/CT are 5/7/5.

Radius: $$$$$$ how do you need to make off the, mostly discounted, AP food & merch purchases to operate a theme park (in CA no less)? This while refunding all the normal ticket holders and APs who aren’t within the radius?... imho you don’t.

Yellow: ain’t happening. <1 new case per 100k people in 7 day rolling average is that threshold (and you have to meet it for two weeks straight before being granted yellow). To get a feel for how remote that possibility is check out the 7 day rolling average cases per 100k by state posted by WaPo here. (First set of charts, it’s what I use to watch for the NY quarantine list changes.) Even NY/NJ/CT are 5/7/5.

Radius: $$$$$$ how do you need to make off the, mostly discounted, AP food & merch purchases to operate a theme park (in CA no less)? This while refunding all the normal ticket holders and APs who aren’t within the radius?... imho you don’t.

Preach lol.

Enough is enough. There’s literally a blueprint of how well Disney is doing with parks operations in FLORIDA. The state that has become, an unfair amount at times imo, the sole butt of the “joke” when it comes to how protocols have been treated for covid. If Disney can go almost 3 months without an outbreak, reported or not, in Florida, then how can you have an argument that they can’t do the same or even better in a stricter state like California?

Preach lol.

Enough is enough. There’s literally a blueprint of how well Disney is doing with parks operations in FLORIDA. The state that has become, an unfair amount at times imo, the sole butt of the “joke” when it comes to how protocols have been treated for covid. If Disney can go almost 3 months without an outbreak, reported or not, in Florida, then how can you have an argument that they can’t do the same or even better in a stricter state like California?

I agree that Disney has done a very good job overall in FL. However, the governor's decision (to play devil's advocate) would apply to all theme parks in the state wouldn't it? None of them have shown that they can do as good of a job as Disney at this point. Maybe that is part of the concern? Would be nice if he would at least allow DL to open though since Disney has proven they know how to do it safely.

I agree that Disney has done a very good job overall in FL. However, the governor's decision (to play devil's advocate) would apply to all theme parks in the state wouldn't it? None of them have shown that they can do as good of a job as Disney at this point. Maybe that is part of the concern? Would be nice if he would at least allow DL to open though since Disney has proven they know how to do it safely.
I understand what you mean. However giving preferential treatment to one theme park would NOT go over well.

And Universal and Sea World. It's pretty easy to look at what others have done and implement it in all theme parks in some measure.

Preach lol.

It’s political. Enough said. Sorry

Probably true, but people want everything to follow the science. Well then, we need to follow the science, not just when it leads to the conclusion you want. Same thing happened with schools. The doctors and the scientists said it was ok to open schools with precautions. The same folks that were screaming about "science" suddenly turned when the science didn't agree with their agenda, and many schools are still closed.

The proven science with WDWs methodology of reopening should prevail, and DL should reopen immediately with those safeguards. It's not fair to all the people that are getting laid off and could get laid off to have their futures jeopardized because politicians "feel" it's a good idea to stay closed. Should have been in court already.

And just because someone high profile on the east coast gets it, doesn't mean squat for DL 2500 miles away. I understood the emotional reactions when this began, since it was a new virus and a lot of not know. But we are past that point now.
Again, that's subject to opinion.

Wdw may still have just been lucky with the amount of cases through the gates. Add more cases through the gates, the risk goes up, especially in restaurants and maskless chill out areas.

And Universal and Sea World. It's pretty easy to look at what others have done and implement it in all theme parks in some measure.

Yeah I was going to say about Universal and Sea World, and honestly have any parks been indicated to be the source of an outbreak? (Busch Gardens, Hershey Park, etc?).

Seems like any major park (and I am sure some smaller ones too) are doing ok and enforcing whatever guidelines they have set better than a lot of other places

Not saying ever park in CA would be great but I would think Sea World, Knottsberry, etc would do fine as well

Yeah I was going to say about Universal and Sea World, and honestly have any parks been indicated to be the source of an outbreak? (Busch Gardens, Hershey Park, etc?).

Seems like any major park (and I am sure some smaller ones too) are doing ok and enforcing whatever guidelines they have set better than a lot of other places

Not saying ever park in CA would be great but I would think Sea World, Knottsberry, etc would do fine as well

I was just basing what I said on reports I've read here of poor mask compliance at Universal and Sea World at times and higher capacity/less distancing at Universal in particular. I've also read that Busch Gardens wasn't doing a good job, at least at first, and I know some vloggers reported that as well.

I was just basing what I said on reports I've read here of poor mask compliance at Universal and Sea World at times and higher capacity/less distancing at Universal in particular. I've also read that Busch Gardens wasn't doing a good job, at least at first, and I know some vloggers reported that as well.

Hard to know what to truly believe as ever report is just a snapshot of a moment. I've also seen people report Universal was better with complained than Disney (specifically on how their TMs more forcefully enforce it) - just as an example.

Guess my point was that it isn't just Disney showing the theme parks can open safely, others have opened and maybe with slightly different protocols but I don't recall any major breakout connected to any

Hard to know what to truly believe as ever report is just a snapshot of a moment. I've also seen people report Universal was better with complained than Disney (specifically on how their TMs more forcefully enforce it) - just as an example.

Guess my point was that it isn't just Disney showing the theme parks can open safely, others have opened and maybe with slightly different protocols but I don't recall any major breakout connected to any

Yeah, no major outbreaks but tracing is kind of nonexistent it seems. Outbreaks are easier to pinpoint in places like colleges where the people affected aren't coming and going from that location to others around the state or country. Also, bars are open again in some states, including FL, and restaurants also at full capacity. Just because they aren't tracing cases to those, for example, doesn't mean that other governors will (or should) follow suit with opening those up. I'm glad to see Disney hasn't done that even though they could in FL.

Just trying to look at this from a governor's point of view.

Also, what about the Downtown Disney area at DL? Hasn't that been open for awhile now?

Last edited:
I am going the week before, and also got an email from TP about crowd increases. My Epcot day went from a 2 to a 7.

I am of two minds with this increase.

Mind one - good indication of consumer sentiment to move forward with restrictions in place regarding recreational activities/unnecessary spending (always a good sign)
Mind two - I kind of wanted empty parks in a very selfish way wahhhh

Yeah, no major outbreaks but tracing is kind of nonexistent it seems. Outbreaks are easier to pinpoint in places like colleges where the people affected aren't coming and going from that location to others around the state or country. Also, bars are open again in some states, including FL, and restaurants also at full capacity. Just because they aren't tracing cases to those, for example, doesn't mean that other governors will (or should) follow suit with opening those up. I'm glad to see Disney hasn't done that even though they could in FL.

Just trying to look at this from a governor's point of view.

Also, what about the Downtown Disney area at DL? Hasn't that been open for awhile now?

oh for sure - it is hard to prove a negative ... and just because nothing traced back to Disney doesn't mean there hasn't been infections there

But other other touristy things have been allowed to open in CA, just not sure what else the themeparks can do to show they are able to open as safe as those other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter