Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would they though?
And I am truly asking this .. I don't know the number.

How many people (percentage) have intensive care-hospital-needed symptoms versus going to the hospital because the publicity this virus is getting? Again .. I truly don't know .. it's really hard to tell from news reports (especially because we aren't in Italy or China).

I am not trying to underplay the seriousness of it, nor am I saying that we are necessarily overreacting. I am truly curious how much of this is "mass hysteria" because of the data and tracking we have at our fingertips and thrown at us via social and tv media.

I guess I am saying . .without the publicity, would people go to the doctor for this? Most reports I see the symptoms are "slight fever and dry cough for a few days" .. Obviously MANY elderly people are having critical symptoms, but for the vast majority of people? They don't need hospital care, so how flooded would hospitals be? (Not knowing how many "beds" most local hospitals have).
Italy is struggling under the caseload and has to make decisions on who to treat (mainly based on age).

If Disney shut their parks down everyone else would have to follow suit. The all the businesses that rely on tourist would have to cut way back. 100s of thousands of people out of work for 2 months. Could any tourist destination survive that.
Survive? Sure. But it wouldn't be pretty. Italy runs on tourism and they are shut down. Disney and Universal parks in Japan shut down, and the country will survive. It's not easy, and I'm not going to minimize the economic damage, though the government certainly could if they want to spend the money, but they would bounce back. Just like Rome and the Tokyo area parks will.

If Disney shut their parks down everyone else would have to follow suit. The all the businesses that rely on tourist would have to cut way back. 100s of thousands of people out of work for 2 months. Could any tourist destination survive that.
They'll manage. A lot of industries are already struggling as a result of what's been happening but there's nothing anyone can do.

Let me throw out another scenario for you;
Right now, decisions are being made based on the assumption that this is like the flu, and it will eventually pass. The thought is we are cancelling events, quarantining the sick, and hoping the rest of us don't get it - until it passes. OK, but what if it doesn't? What if it's like the Chicken Pox? There is an entire, post-vaccine generation who never went through the Chicken Pox, but at one time it was a question of when, not if you would get it. Once your siblings got it, kids were often quarantined together so they would ALL get it. Reason being, once you recovered, you were immune. Nothing shut down, no events were cancelled, it was just a fact of life.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we all purposely get CV, but what if the measures we are taking are just to slow it's spread down enough so that the medical facilities are not overwhelmed, but CV is not going away? When do we resume activities and who decides?

No one can predict the future or the outcome of the virus, but what you describe is the reason for the isolation. The immediate need to not overwhelm the hospitals and the ability to treat those who are affected. If 1,000 people get infected and there is only capacity to care for 1,000 people, then it can be managed. But if it spikes to 10,000 people or 100,000 people, then it can’t be managed and people will die. The experts and reasonable people don’t want this to happen.

The scenario you are describing is to let natural selection take place. Humanity is better than that.
Actually, the scenario I described could be reality. It was not months, but decades before a Chicken Pox vaccine was developed. Having gone through the pre-vaccine days I was surprised it ever was. It will be at least a year after trials start before the CV vaccine in implemented. We have to do something now because there are not enough people who have gone through it and are immune, but we can't have things like schools closed indefinitely...can we?

Also with Florida very very low unemployment pay most families couldn’t survive that.

Actually, the scenario I described could be reality. It was not months, but decades before a Chicken Pox vaccine was developed. Having gone through the pre-vaccine days I was surprised it ever was. It will be at least a year after trials start before the CV vaccine in implemented. We have to do something now because there are not enough people who have gone through it and are immune, but we can't have things like schools closed indefinitely...can we?

Well, online learning would rapidly transform the school industry...just like the movie watching industry might be in for rapid change after this...

CNN just announced Disneyland will close beginning Friday due to virus concerns.

Disney parks revenue is about 37% of the business. They have other places to offset the short term loss. I’m sure if they’re smart they saved enough from the insanely high prices we pay.

Italy has hit 1k deaths among 15k total infections. Since the virus can explode at an exponential rate, you want to cut that off ASAP. And a reminder: Italy's hospitals are already squeezed to the brink as a result of this, they literally can't handle more infections in their hospitals.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51852320
The more you look at the numbers, we should be taking a close look at what South Korea is doing vs. Italy... (Not sure what the answer there is, but their outbreaks started around the same time, but it seems as though its taken two very differing tracks in the two countries...)

Disney where have you been in the past 24 hours?!! Please be part of the solution and not the problem. #canceleverything

Yes, losing out on a vacation and $$$ stinks (myself included) but we all need to do our part to #flattenthecurve...it's our best opportunity for better survival rates.
Hype

Disneyland is closing due to Covid. Guesses on when WDW follows suit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200312-174519.png
    Screenshot_20200312-174519.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 9
But we're still not testing enough people. We have no idea how bad it is but we do know it's getting worse by the day and we're depending on people doing the right thing to reverse the trend. It's not enough right now.
How do we know it’s getting worse? More testing means more positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter