Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone on the fence about going soon to WDW and was vaccinated -
Just a note, if anyone got the Moderna vaccine - :wave: - they announced yesterday it does protect against the UK variants, and for the South African variant, it is not a full protection, but well above what is needed. And they are already working on boosters. That is fantastic news.

The vaccine generated a weaker immune response against the South African strain, but the antibodies remained above levels that are expected to be protective against the virus, the company said, adding the findings may suggest “a potential risk of earlier waning of immunity to the new B.1.351 strains.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/cov...d-booster-shots-for-south-african-strain.html

I posted this a couple of days ago and my post got whacked. It's very hopeful news.

Just need distribution efforts to pick up.

We still got a shot for "normal" 50th.

I posted this a couple of days ago and my post got whacked. It's very hopeful news.

Just need distribution efforts to pick up.

We still got a shot for "normal" 50th.
I'll one up everyone and say we'll start to see quite a few "normal offerings" (i.e. fireworks, certain shows, resorts, more shops and restaurants, etc...) come back late Spring/early Summer (late April to mid-June). A number of offerings still won't be available until we get later into the fall, but even so, I think they'll be quite a bit more than we have right now. I personally think Disney is holding off on making many of those announcements until cases and deaths drop more substantially and vaccinations pick up.

That said, masks and capacity control measures (like park reservations, mobile order only, etc...) are almost certainly with us through the end of the year at least.

Hope this isn’t too OT since international travel is often discussed, Trudeau is planning on announcing new stricter travel restrictions. I know we speculate a lot around here as to when these things may let up, if this is an indication of anything the answer is the opposite of “soon” for Canadians.

I'll one up everyone and say we'll start to see quite a few "normal offerings" (i.e. fireworks, certain shows, resorts, more shops and restaurants, etc...) come back late Spring/early Summer (late April to mid-June). A number of offerings still won't be available until we get later into the fall, but even so, I think they'll be quite a bit more than we have right now. I personally think Disney is holding off on making many of those announcements until cases and deaths drop more substantially and vaccinations pick up.

That said, masks and capacity control measures (like park reservations, mobile order only, etc...) are almost certainly with us through the end of the year at least.

I'm going to inject some hope and say that maybe masks will be indoor only by the fall...a girl can dream...

Selfishly hoping the masks restrictions get dropped by the end of the year (trip tentatively for Dec), because I hope we won't need them.

But I'd say that's a long shot...

For anyone on the fence about going soon to WDW and was vaccinated -
Just a note, if anyone got the Moderna vaccine - :wave: - they announced yesterday it does protect against the UK variants, and for the South African variant, it is not a full protection, but well above what is needed. And they are already working on boosters. That is fantastic news.

The vaccine generated a weaker immune response against the South African strain, but the antibodies remained above levels that are expected to be protective against the virus, the company said, adding the findings may suggest “a potential risk of earlier waning of immunity to the new B.1.351 strains.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/cov...d-booster-shots-for-south-african-strain.html
Best news for sure, but we need to get moving on distribution for it to matter! In the mean time there is concern these variants will run wild. Hoping that's not the case.

:cheer2:

We had no problem doing just this. I asked many people to back up too lol. We were a party of 6 for part of the time but kept as close together as we could. The problem I noticed mainly was when in the switchbacks some like FOP were side by side and the markers on the ground show to space out but the way the spaces were it at times it would like a large open space so that you are not standing right next to the person on the other side of the rail but I think a lot of people just looked at it like there was a sticker missing, not realizing they should have stayed back and left a 12 foot distance because the 6 foot distances were directly on either side. If any of this makes sense, I wish I had a picture to better show what I'm talking about

I totally get what you are saying. There is a section in the Frozen line like this. My two daughters and I went during Food and Wine. This is when you could still eat and drink in line and we had a group of young girls drinking while waiting in line and creeping up on us every line advance. We finally got to that big gap in the line and I said something to them. All of them were very apologetic except for one. They did keep their distance the rest of the way. I had no problem saying something to them. Most don't even realize what they are doing.

I'm going to inject some hope and say that maybe masks will be indoor only by the fall...a girl can dream...

Yeah yeah that's right - you got yours - rub it in...

Selfishly hoping the masks restrictions get dropped by the end of the year (trip tentatively for Dec), because I hope we won't need them.

But I'd say that's a long shot...

Now that was just unnecessary.

We will have Fireworks for July4th!!!!

Well resorts/shops/restaurants come IF Disney increases its capacity. Otherwise, there is no need to open those if the "normal" amount of people aren't there.

I just don't know if they will have the things people truly want back by spring OR summer .. fireworks/parades/M&Gs, other shows. They are in a catch 22 with those. They only need those if they increase capacity, but if they increase capacity those type of attractions create very close crowds and it would be too hard to crowd control (except maybe the M&Gs).

Masks SHOULD be indoors only right now. It is just silly to wear them outside while walking far apart from other people. The problem is enforcement. It is easy to have a policy that just says "wear your mask 100% of the time (unless eating)" .. you'll get a lot less confusion from guests and a lot less "ooops .. forgot" moments.

If wearing masks is a concern this year, than I am sure there will be plenty of other tourist destinations that won't require them outside .. especially by summer. Come to a beach! I've gone to plenty of tourist destinations throughout this entire pandemic and haven't had to wear masks 100% of the time while outside .. zoos, miniature golf, shopping districts, amusement parks, hiking trails, etc. etc. (or at least without "being kicked out" enforcement where you could take them down briefly for at least a breather or some photos.

We will have Fireworks for July4th!!!!

Man, I sure hope so because that’s when we’ll be there!! But either way, a day at Disney is better than a day at home.

Masks SHOULD be indoors only right now. It is just silly to wear them outside while walking far apart from other people.

Well, you can’t always be walking far apart from people at Disney. I was surprised at how often we were walking shoulder to shoulder with people in the parks in a way that really felt no different to me than visits pre-covid.

Disney isn’t going to do anything major that goes against the general CDC requirements or any federal mask mandates. I think we’ll have to wait for those to change before we see Disney do it- not because they can’t but because it would be horrible press.

But let’s not go down the mask blackhole... Who knows what will happen. The uncertainty right now is just brutal to plan anything. I’m planning for the worst (no fireworks, everything limited as it is now, etc.) and just hoping I’m pleasantly surprised.

Masks SHOULD be indoors only right now. It is just silly to wear them outside while walking far apart from other people. The problem is enforcement. It is easy to have a policy that just says "wear your mask 100% of the time (unless eating)" .. you'll get a lot less confusion from guests and a lot less "ooops .. forgot" moments.

If wearing masks is a concern this year, than I am sure there will be plenty of other tourist destinations that won't require them outside .. especially by summer. Come to a beach! I've gone to plenty of tourist destinations throughout this entire pandemic and haven't had to wear masks 100% of the time while outside .. zoos, miniature golf, shopping districts, amusement parks, hiking trails, etc. etc. (or at least without "being kicked out" enforcement where you could take them down briefly for at least a breather or some photos.

The problem is when you’re outside at Disney, you’re not always far away from other people ...

Yes, there will be other outdoor destinations around the country that won’t require masks.

Masks are a reality at Disney now and for the foreseeable future and that won’t change anytime soon. Nobody should expect a mask-free summer Disney trip. There is no chance they loosen the mask policy that soon.

I don't disagree. Where we live, the rule (legally enforced) is you must wear a mask outdoors only if you can't maintain 6' distance. Honestly not much of an issue here, it's Canada in winter 😆

The problem with a place like Disney is - people aren't keeping their distance. When you get into queues, bottleneck zones etc... there are many, many reports of people not keeping 6' apart. So, while you may not need them walking down Main Street, you'd still need them in lines etc... And it's a lot easier to just make a blanket "Wear a mask" policy, than "You only have to wear it sometimes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter