• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
From that I am thinking its going to be much later then June 5. There will spikes after every phase which will extend each phase from 3 weeks to more like 4 or 5.

I know that's a theory, but I don't buy it. Orange County has been less than 40 new cases a day for two weeks, and for the last week it's been closer to 20. And running at about 2 percent positives for the amount of tests given. So they might show a graph spike, but actual numbers would still be small. For example, Duval's number of cases went from 26 to 41 to 16 -- it looks like a spike, but the actual numbers are still small. But we're all guessing as to what happens, and since we're guessing I think we'll get some sort of data about the effects of reopening from Georgia in the next couple of weeks.

At this point, I think AAU really hopes the June volleyball event at ESPN will go forward. There may be a difference in wrestling and volleyball because the kids don't actually have to touch in other in volleyball. They can stay apart. Track? I don't know.

The event coordinators keep holding out hope. Which I understand. Maybe we will know more tomorrow. It would be so nice to have a plan so we can solidify our own plans.
I agree, AAU is supposed to make an announcement April 30th. A close source of mine that is a VP for track and field said It isnt gonna happen.

First I will say I agree with Florida's plan to reopen and it's a lot better then some other states. Yes the models have been wrong but the reason I see a spike is that most people were staying home before this, now more people will be out shopping and out in the community. I don't see how cases can stay low in that situation.

That's not Florida's plan. It's Orange County's, which has jurisdiction over unincorporated Orange County.

Things keep trending in the right way. All numbers worldwide trending down, plans are being made, should know more with the news coming out today and tomorrow about Florida opening with dates etc. As much testing that Shanghai Disney is doing they should be opening in a few weeks.

Still holding with my prediction of a mid July date, though I am leaning towards perhaps earlier late June soft opening., Resorts will open mid to early June (swan and Dolphin will open in May), Disney Springs I am still thinking will open in 2-3 weeks fro now.

Disney is leading the way on opening as expected, as they are the state of the art as far as theme parks. It is looking like they will lean heavily on social distancing, recommend (not require) mask, virtual queues, no contact pay methods, and limited capacity. All my opinion. I do think the social distancing/capacity limits will not last that long maybe through summer but will ease once we get into the fall and have much more info on the virus.

Another study came out today that says of 318 outbreaks in China found transmission occurred out-of-doors in at most one. Most occurred in home or public transport. If we find this to be even more evident, it is great news for the parks. The transportation can be mitigated to handle any concerns there. This is more info on my opinion all along, people very rarely get infected in a casual theme parks, outdoor, stadium setting. Desantis even said yesterday how the parks were a safe environment yesterday, commenting on how the park had a packed house during the height of the virus on closing day and no cases have been tracked back to the park.

You will see this evident as Disney and the government will recommend to start moving a lot of events outside whenever possible

Last edited:
If one of the reopening guidelines is to not use 3D glasses, then does that mean anything involving 3D or 4D wont be operating? Im thinking of Universal in particular, Spiderman is one of my favorite rides ever. I was taking my son for the first time & very eager to ride that with him. It seems like quite a few universal rides use 3D glasses, how would that work?

Orange County announced their plan this morning. saying they are going to use three weeks for phases rather than two. So if they put themselves in Phase 1 today, that puts phase three six weeks away. So June 5 or so.

However, I am sticking to June 1, because I do not think that if Florida says the parks can be open earlier that WDW will acquiesce to Orange County. But that is the actual news out of Orange County this morning.

3 weeks, MINIMUM

And spikes in positive cases doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t move forward with the phases unless the hospitals start to see an influx again.

Yes actually they do, by the criteria set out. They have to see consistently declining CASE numbers.

If one of the reopening guidelines is to not use 3D glasses, then does that mean anything involving 3D or 4D wont be operating? Im thinking of Universal in particular, Spiderman is one of my favorite rides ever. I was taking my son for the first time & very eager to ride that with him. It seems like quite a few universal rides use 3D glasses, how would that work?
On another thread or maybe this one, was shown a prototype for 3d glasses sanitation method. But it's a wait and see

Yes actually they do, by the criteria set out. They have to see consistently declining CASE numbers.

The problem with Orange County is they don't have far to go. Daily positives last week were 54, 33, 23, 24,13, 24, 23, testing 900 or so a day. That's 3 percent positive. Three weeks of decline puts that number at under 10. So if they test after three weeks and you get 15 positives, things get shut down again?

Things keep trending in the right way. All numbers worldwide trending down, plans are being made, should know more with the news coming out today and tomorrow about Florida opening with dates etc. As much testing that Shanghai Disney is doing they should be opening in a few weeks.

Still holding with my prediction of a mid July date, though I am leaning towards perhaps earlier late June soft opening., Resorts will open mid to early June (swan and Dolphin will open in May), Disney Springs I am still thinking will open in 2-3 weeks fro now.

Disney is leading the way on opening as expected, as they are the state of the art as far as theme parks. It is looking like they will lean heavily on social distancing, recommend (not require) mask, virtual queues, no contact pay methods, and limited capacity. All my opinion. I do think the social distancing/capacity limits will not last that long maybe through summer but will ease once we get into the fall and have much more info on the virus.

Another study came out today that says of 318 outbreaks in China found transmission occurred out-of-doors in at most one. Most occurred in home or public transport. If we find this to be even more evident, it is great news for the parks. The transportation can be mitigated to handle any concerns there. This is more info on my opinion all along, people very rarely get infected in a casual theme parks, outdoor, stadium setting. Desantis even said yesterday how the parks were a safe environment yesterday, commenting on how the park had a packed house during the height of the virus on closing day and no cases have been tracked back to the park.

You will see this evident as Disney and the government will recommend to start moving a lot of events outside whenever possible

Disney Springs won't be open in 2-3 weeks. Not even close.

The problem with Orange County is they don't have far to go. Daily positives last week were 54, 33, 23, 24,13, 24, 23, testing 900 or so a day. That's 3 percent positive. Three weeks of decline puts that number at under 10. So if they test after three weeks and you get 15 positives, things get shut down again?
They’ll just change the criteria to open, the advantages of being on the council that will determine the opening strategy,

Here is the link for the study if anyone wants to read it: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

I don't understand the wait to cancel them all. Other parts of the country and here in Canada have cancelled all festivals and fairs to avoid large gatherings. A cheer competition would fall into that.
With AAU, they have many events scheduled at Disney over the summer, but the Junior Olympics in August is another event. It comes down to money, if they wait maybe they can salvage some events. If they cancel everything AAU has zero money coming in.

My guess is one or two days of increased cases, no. But if in that 2 week period that is the criteria, you see a higher average of new cases than you did the two weeks before, yes. As far as specific numbers... I don't know. Maybe they'll have a specific percentage increase. I believe China shut down again when they were getting 30-40+ new cases daily. That said, my guess (just based on some things that have been discussed here in Canada, as well as articles I've seen elsewhere), is if cases start spiking, it doesn't necessarily mean they get shut down again, BUT, it does prohibit them from moving to the next phase. Also, certain protocols may get stricter (ex. instead of masks being recommended, they're now required) etc...

On another thread or maybe this one, was shown a prototype for 3d glasses sanitation method. But it's a wait and see

I think they will still be able to have the rides, even without the 3d glasses they are still fun and the experience isn't too limited. I have ridden without the glasses before because my youngest is visually impaired and has no 3d vision so...no need for the glasses!! I wanted to see what he saw, so I went without on a few different rides. Yeah, it's not as great, but it is still fun. That being said, I was going to mention the new sanitation prototype Universal just applied for but yulilin3 beat me to it. I am betting that both Disney and Universal will be able to come up with something like that to get people on those rides with clean glasses.

My guess is one or two days of increased cases, no. But if in that 2 week period that is the criteria, you see a higher average of new cases than you did the two weeks before, yes. As far as specific numbers... I don't know. Maybe they'll have a specific percentage increase. I believe China shut down again when they were getting 30-40+ new cases daily. That said, my guess (just based on some things that have been discussed here in Canada, as well as articles I've seen elsewhere), is if cases start spiking, it doesn't necessarily mean they get shut down again, BUT, it does prohibit them from moving to the next phase. Also, certain protocols may get stricter (ex. instead of masks being recommended, they're now required) etc...

True. There are a lot of places like my state that have real low numbers on weekends that then "catch up" on monday/tuesday making monday look like a spike when it really isn't. So need to look longer then day by day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter